Any BCA inspection experiences at the end of a PCH?

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Anyone have any recent experience of BCA inspection after finishing a PCH?

I.e
Charges incurred for any damage
Any follow up charges post the original inspection
Anything you got away with

I've got a copy of the BVLA Fair Wear and Tear guide and have had a quick flick through.

Any tips? Other than taking photos during the inspection/collection?

I've hired cars and had courtesy vehicles where they have completed a quick check before and after a hire, but i can imagine this is very different.

Thanks

Last edited:

Harry213

Aug 11, 2014
West Midlands
I would be interested to see the answer to this as my lease is ending in November and was looking at calling mobile repair technician to refurb the alloys and touch up the stone chips

j.owen

Aug 30, 2015
St. Helens
Yes. They failed to notice a cig burn in the drivers side carpet but noticed a small scuff on the interior roof plastic which I was unaware of, tried charging me £80 for this... Didn't follow through with it after me pointing out that the car was absolutely immaculate minus this (no kerbed alloys, scratches or dings etc). He almost instantly agreed and took the keys. I got the impression they're almost told to attempt to reclaim *some* money.

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
Anyone have any recent experience of BCA inspection after finishing a PCH?

I.e
Charges incurred for any damage
Any follow up charges post the original inspection
Anything you got away with

I've got a copy of the BVLA Fair Wear and Tear guide and have had a quick flick through.

Any tips? Other than taking photos during the inspection/collection?

I've hired cars and had courtesy vehicles where they have completed a quick check before and after a hire, but i can imagine this is very different.

Thanks

Had no problems with x2 cars inspected by BCA had slight dent on the drivers door but was within the BVLA guidelines.

Just check for the obvious like scuffed alloys had one scuffed so had it done for £30 before they came.

Make sure all documents are there service book up to date and stamped , spare keys, wheel locking key.

And make sure it’s had a clean took mine to the local car wash a day before nothing special polishing it all day.

They do stick to the guide lines of the BVLA with the plastic measuring device they use to measure any dents or scratches.

But when they come it’s only a quick check and they do say it will be inspected again when they get to there depot so would advise taking photos before they drive it away.

I always did this also when they was inspecting the car so they was fully aware I had photos.

But overall a painless experience

Last edited:

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Had no problems with x2 cars inspected by BCA had slight dent on the drivers door but was within the BVLA guidelines.

Just check for the obvious like scuffed alloys had one scuffed so had it done for £30 before they came.

Make sure all documents are there service book up to date and stamped , spare keys, wheel locking key.

And make sure it’s had a clean took mine to the local car wash a day before nothing special polishing it all day.

They do stick to the guide lines of the BVLA with the plastic measuring device they use to measure any dents or scratches.

But when they come it’s only a quick check and they do say it will be inspected again when they get to there depot so would advise taking photos before they drive it away.

I always did this also when they was inspecting the car so they was fully aware I had photos.

But overall a painless experience

Thanks mate,

Scuffed my alloy on Friday after having looking after them for over 2 years. [:@]
Only slightly on the edge but they are diamond cut so I know repairs are tricky if they are possible.

Not sure if it will be considered fair wear and tear.

craigep80

Apr 7, 2015
They will try it on were they can imo

My last vehicle was collected by BCA, he went around car with paint meter and his tape measure.

They tried to charge me for respray to front bumper & bonnet due to excessive stone chips lol (car had 90k of motorway miles) also damage to the carpet were my heel had been.

I refused to sign and haven't heard anything (almost 1yr ago now).

I

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
Thanks mate,

Scuffed my alloy on Friday after having looking after them for over 2 years. [:@]
Only slightly on the edge but they are diamond cut so I know repairs are tricky if they are possible.

Not sure if it will be considered fair wear and tear.

If its the rim of the wheel your allowed a 50m/m scuff to the guidelines under fair ware and tear, if its on the hub of wheel they will charge you.

Fr2013

Apr 9, 2014
Had our 2012 Mini Countryman collected in June last year, nice chap from BCA came and got his iPad out once I'd made him a cuppa. Took about 20 to 30 minutes altogether they check all around, underneath and inside. Making sure all accessories are present etc. He checked the service log book that it had been serviced too.
Luckily, a day before I'd gone round and filled any small scratches with matching paint and polished to a smooth surface and you couldn't see them. I'd also given the car a good wash and wax, it looked immaculate. He even said 'I wish all of my collections were like this!'.
I must also admit to having put a part worn tire on a few days before as one of them was worn on the outer edge and I'd be damned If I was paying over £100 for a new Pirelli P-Zero! Passed with flying colours in his report.
It did have the odd stone chip on the bonnet and also on the wheels too (they were black painted wheels, so a nightmare for chips!) But obviously these are acceptable for it's 32,000 mileage and age.

He went on his way then another BCA guy turned up about 20 mins later (after catching the bus to my house!) And then re-inspected it himself before driving it away.

I must stress, I didn't sign anything.

Letter from Mini Financial Services about a week later saying nothing more owed and my commitment with them had ceased.

Last edited:

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
If its the rim of the wheel your allowed a 50m/m scuff to the guidelines under fair ware and tear, if its on the hub of wheel they will charge you.

Yeah it's the rim and thought I'd be ok when I read in the guide.
Just I realised that diamond cut alloys are a different beast when it comes to repair so I started to wonder.

Tbh with a Cupra fair wear allowances should be a little less strict :D
Designed to be driven fast and 19" rims - stone chips and scuffed rims were inevitable

Cheers

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Had our 2012 Mini Countryman collected in June last year, nice chap from BCA came and got his iPad out once I'd made him a cuppa. Took about 20 to 30 minutes altogether they check all around, underneath and inside. Making sure all accessories are present etc. He checked the service log book that it had been serviced too.
Luckily, a day before I'd gone round and filled any small scratches with matching paint and polished to a smooth surface and you couldn't see them. I'd also given the car a good wash and wax, it looked immaculate. He even said 'I wish all of my collections were like this!'.
I must also admit to having put a part worn tire on a few days before as one of them was worn on the outer edge and I'd be damned If I was paying over £100 for a new Pirelli P-Zero! Passed with flying colours in his report.
It did have the odd stone chip on the bonnet and also on the wheels too (they were black painted wheels, so a nightmare for chips!) But obviously these are acceptable for it's 32,000 mileage and age.

He went on his way then another BCA guy turned up about 20 mins later (after catching the bus to my house!) And then re-inspected it himself before driving it away.

I must stress, I didn't sign anything.

Letter from Mini Financial Services about a week later saying nothing more owed and my commitment with them had ceased.

I'll hope for the same.

Cheers mate

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
When I ended my PCP on the Leon.

Day 1 the 'inspector' came in around 11am, I just sent the car for a wash at the hand carwash around 9:30 am. Had maybe 5-7 'visible' stone chips on the bumper area, few parts where I used the wrong side of the sponge to remove bird poo, and actually scratched the paint. Front wheel, had a small 'curb' damage, but not too visible. There was a small ding near the rear door, towards just above the wheel arch, possibly someone's handbag with metal parts (I think I know who!!!).

As far as I know, they cannot go 'up close' to inspect, but within a 1 or 2 meter radius for the outside of the car. On the inside, they check the log book, that the sat nav works, the stereo works, lights works, boot has the entire puncture repair kit, no massive damage / stains on seats. I can't remember if they checked the thred of the tyres or not, but I know I was safe, as I did MOT couple of months before, and they were 5-6mm on fronts and 6-7mm on rears. And off this guy went, he gave me the paper with BCA headed papaer, everything A grade, and final cost £0. Prior they also told me the car needs to have 'some fuel' in the tank, but wasn't specific. I left it with about 1/4 tank.

He said he's quite impressed with it and did I ever drive it? I only put on 8000+ miles in 24 months.

Day 2 another person came, did a once over, signed off my V5 (I think) slip, drove off with the car to somewhere and that was the last I saw my old car. :cry:

Was curious and checked insurance and tax database recently with my old car's reg...it's fully taxed and insured...someone's enjoying it now!

Last edited:

hitchygolf1971

May 4, 2017
When I ended my PCP on the Leon.

Day 1 the 'inspector' came in around 11am, I just sent the car for a wash at the hand carwash around 9:30 am. Had maybe 5-7 'visible' stone chips on the bumper area, few parts where I used the wrong side of the sponge to remove bird poo, and actually scratched the paint. Front wheel, had a small 'curb' damage, but not too visible. There was a small ding near the rear door, towards just above the wheel arch, possibly someone's handbag with metal parts (I think I know who!!!).

As far as I know, they cannot go 'up close' to inspect, but within a 1 or 2 meter radius for the outside of the car. On the inside, they check the log book, that the sat nav works, the stereo works, lights works, boot has the entire puncture repair kit, no massive damage / stains on seats. I can't remember if they checked the thred of the tyres or not, but I know I was safe, as I did MOT couple of months before, and they were 5-6mm on fronts and 6-7mm on rears. And off this guy went, he gave me the paper with BCA headed papaer, everything A grade, and final cost £0. Prior they also told me the car needs to have 'some fuel' in the tank, but wasn't specific. I left it with about 1/4 tank.

He said he's quite impressed with it and did I ever drive it? I only put on 8000+ miles in 24 months.

Day 2 another person came, did a once over, signed off my V5 (I think) slip, drove off with the car to somewhere and that was the last I saw my old car. :cry:

Was curious and checked insurance and tax database recently with my old car's reg...it's fully taxed and insured...someone's enjoying it now!

Mine went straight to auction, shame really I offered to buy mine at the end of the contract but they wanted full forcourt price.

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
Have to laugh at these 'repair' charges because if any of you have ever been to the ex-VWFS auctions by Manheim or BCA you'll see that all of the cars are sold with their damage from collection.

They don't repair them at all, why would they waste any money repairing them, thats the person who buys them from auctions problem...

They also empty the fuel from them and drive them around with the low/empty fuel warnings going off :)

pavarotti1980

Jul 18, 2017
Have to laugh at these 'repair' charges because if any of you have ever been to the ex-VWFS auctions by Manheim or BCA you'll see that all of the cars are sold with their damage from collection.

They don't repair them at all, why would they waste any money repairing them, thats the person who buys them from auctions problem...

They also empty the fuel from them and drive them around with the low/empty fuel warnings going off :)

Both times Mannheim have collected they have tried it on for repair costs. It easy enough to find vehicle on the autcion sites within days/weeks of collection with the damage unrepaired and also extra damage as well. Quick email with the auction listing and they dont go through with it.

Its almost as though they are attemting to con people out of money to cover potential losses at auction

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Anyone have any tips for arguing the proposed charges? Is it a case of rufusing to accept and ask for second opinion?

almas09

Jul 31, 2017
Had my VXR collected last September, dude was really cool and we ended up talking about football lol
Ignored the scuff on the alloy and a broken rear diffuser.

pavarotti1980

Jul 18, 2017
Anyone have any tips for arguing the proposed charges? Is it a case of rufusing to accept and ask for second opinion?

Dispute them and ask for proof of repair and register with the auction sites to find the listing for your vehicle with any damage still present