Getting a squeak from my brakes.

Fraser87

Mar 3, 2017
14 plate cupra with 50 to 60 thousand on the clock and I'm getting squeaky brakes. Should I take this as a sign to change pads or give it a little splash of something?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the brakes have wear indicators. DON'T splash anything on them. Or, if you're tired of life, try a bit of grease.
If it's really annoying, pull the pads out clean them up, shims and retainers too. Slightly roughen the pad surface with sand paper. Then try it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wings988

Fraser87

Mar 3, 2017
What kind of tools/know how would I need to do as you suggest. Am I better getting a pro to do it?

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
if you are not clued up then yes get a pro to check them out.

when was it last serviced? a decent service should advise you how much disc/pad life you have left.
any evidence of previous disc/pad changes?

Pinky

Sep 27, 2015
Could be dust. Could be a stone. Try rinsing the brakes with a hose. Might flush something out.

Fraser87

Mar 3, 2017
Had the car practically since new and I've never done anything to the breaks. last service was maybe August and nothing was flagged up. I'll give the power washer a go to see if it knocks anything loose then failing that I'll take it in.

Is it worth looking at different pads or just go for a like for like swap if it turns out that's what's needed.

Stevan

Apr 8, 2017
Musselburgh
There's a fairly flimsy back (splash?) plate behind the disc on mine (MYE2016 FR ST), if you get a small stone stuck behind there they can squeal even if you're not applying the brake. Just gently pushing the plate away from the disc (it springs back) may free anything that is in there.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Don't use a power washer. If you're not very careful it can force water into the caliper sliders and cause them to seize. Pull the wheels and clean with a brush and warm soapy water, or even a non acidic wheel cleaner. Then rinse
Dismantling calipers is easy, but it sounds you're not confident with tools. In which case clean the brakes in place, check for stones trapped in there, and if it still squeals get your Tech to have a look.

Good luck

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.