LED headlight aim

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
My issue is that if I was driving on unknown back roads at night, I'd be lucky if I could do over 50 MPH due to the LED headlight aim being a fraction too low and only lighting up a short distance in front. It does all the down and up self levelling when you start the car, so I know there's no issue with that side.

Does anyone know if you can manually adjust the headlights as you can with the 'old' halogen headlights? Or if the LED rails can be raised either by a dealers, or VCDS, OBD Eleven, etc?

seventen710

Jul 18, 2012
Hampshire
My issue is that if I was driving on unknown back roads at night, I'd be lucky if I could do over 50 MPH due to the LED headlight aim being a fraction too low and only lighting up a short distance in front. It does all the down and up self levelling when you start the car, so I know there's no issue with that side.

Does anyone know if you can manually adjust the headlights as you can with the 'old' halogen headlights? Or if the LED rails can be raised either by a dealers, or VCDS, OBD Eleven, etc?

Exactly the same on mine. Would also be interested to know if there's a manual adjustment / override.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Yes you can manually adjust LED headlights.

There are two hexagon adjusters in the top of each light

One is for up/down and one is for left/right

You need the engine running and the lights on manual ( not auto )

oNjDmd4.png

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
There's a known fault that during cold weather the leds won't return to the correct position after auto levelling, leaving you with the headlights lighting about 3 meters of the road in front.
Turning the car off can reset them, but apparently a software update can help.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
Yes you can manually adjust LED headlights.

There are two hexagon adjusters in the top of each light

One is for up/down and one is for left/right

You need the engine running and the lights on manual ( not auto )

Thanks Deano, looks like what I'm after!

Last edited:

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
There's a known fault that during cold weather the leds won't return to the correct position after auto levelling, leaving you with the headlights lighting about 3 meters of the road in front.

Thanks Curtly. I've read about that issue, but it doesn't apply to me. The lights have always felt like they should be that bit more higher. Driving last night just didn't feel safe as it didn't light up enough of the road ahead. Anythng over 50MPH just didn't feel comfortable.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
There's a very long thread about lighting issues and adjusting the headlights. I did mine and it made the world of a difference. It only needs a half turn or so but check out the thread for guidance on the directing of turn. The handbook was wrong we worked out in the end.

Check out my posts from a couple of years ago. You'll find the info that way.

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK

The software update has not worked on mine.

They have had the car three separate times now for a full day each time and I still have the issue.

PS - SEAT completely deny that there is any known issue with the self levelling in cold weather !!

Last edited:

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
It's true...they are very low @ factory settings. Did the same with my previous Leon LEDs and also with my Ibiza Bi-Xenons. Same Philips screwdriver will do (not the flathead, the other one, 4 way like t head). Even when you pull up next to a Prius or Merc with LED, you can see that it's obviously lower....

What I did was...park approx 10 meters from wall, mark off the headlight cutoff with blutac or tape, turn the screws so that I can see it has raised slightly higher...and tada...done. Nobody flashed me, so it should be allright... There's another screw for side to side, but...I didn't touch that one.

High beam on the LED Leon's however is WOW! Way better than Ibiza Bi-Xenon high beam.

Last edited:

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
Thanks for all the replies.

From reading the previous post mentioned by dephead2004, it looks like I need to adjust screw no.2 of the left headlight (from the driver's view) to raise the beam by turning it clockwise, and the right headlight beam is raised by turning the no.2 adjuster counter clockwise.

I've had a look at the two no.2 adjusters and they feel loose, hopefully they're ok!

Just need to wait for it to get dark (and a bit warmer) and I'll have a play.

KoNG

Jul 27, 2016
Canning Town
The software update has not worked on mine.

They have had the car three separate times now for a full day each time and I still have the issue.

PS - SEAT completely deny that there is any known issue with the self levelling in cold weather !!
You absolutely right they deny any issue with light!! even if i show them TPI about fault dont know what they look for so just in stage get my case solved on ombudsman side fed up with running up and down from garage