Racechip RS box on a TSI 140 FR Leon

JMP

May 27, 2004
Any experiences on using Racechip tuning boxes on mk3 Leon?

I bought a Racechip RS box for my 2013 FR Leon with 140hp 1.4 CHPA engine. It hasnt arrived yet. Just looking for experiences with these, thanks :)

hoppus

Oct 30, 2017
UK
Any experiences on using Racechip tuning boxes on mk3 Leon?

I bought a Racechip RS box for my 2013 FR Leon with 140hp 1.4 CHPA engine. It hasnt arrived yet. Just looking for experiences with these, thanks :)

Problem with racechip is that it intercepts data from the ECU and then changes it.
From people I've spoken too that has them, they work. But the power delivery is slightly delayed and is kind of all in one go.

Something that a proper remap (flashing ecu) would fix as they can iron out the power dips and make a smooth curve of power.

Atleast that's what I understand!

Major Tom

Jun 6, 2015
Problem with racechip is that it intercepts data from the ECU and then changes it.
From people I've spoken too that has them, they work. But the power delivery is slightly delayed and is kind of all in one go.

Something that a proper remap (flashing ecu) would fix as they can iron out the power dips and make a smooth curve of power.

Atleast that's what I understand!

I think it's the turbo lag that the "people you've spoken to" has experienced. Power is increased by more turbo boost -> even more noticable after you add the box. And will be the same thing with an ecu flash.

hoppus

Oct 30, 2017
UK
I think it's the turbo lag that the "people you've spoken to" has experienced. Power is increased by more turbo boost -> even more noticable after you add the box. And will be the same thing with an ecu flash.

Possibly.

Not to mention it only increased the Bhp by 10.
Rather than the advertised 40.

Also they then sent it back got a revo remap instead and the problems went away with power delivery.

JMP

May 27, 2004
Thanks.. I understand how it works. Revo would be ok, but its so long journey to get one. And I want to try this so I dont make permanent changes to the car. Lets see how it works. Im not looking for big gains.

hoppus

Oct 30, 2017
UK
Thanks.. I understand how it works. Revo would be ok, but its so long journey to get one. And I want to try this so I dont make permanent changes to the car. Lets see how it works. Im not looking for big gains.

Let me know how it goes, i'm interested :)

JMP

May 27, 2004
Well the box is now installed and it was really easy. Since its winter I really cant tell how much more power I got. Wheels keep spinning in stock form also in almost every gear. But atleast no faults came up during test drive. I kept the potentiometer in default position. Ill update once theres more traction

hoppus

Oct 30, 2017
UK
Well the box is now installed and it was really easy. Since its winter I really cant tell how much more power I got. Wheels keep spinning in stock form also in almost every gear. But atleast no faults came up during test drive. I kept the potentiometer in default position. Ill update once theres more traction ��

Any noticeable affect on fuel consumption yet? :) (if any)

JMP

May 27, 2004
Any noticeable affect on fuel consumption yet? :) (if any)

I cant say yet. I dont think there will be much difference. It will probably mess up the computer readings a bit.

I upped the settings from 4 to 5 and it feels pretty good. There is clearly more torque and power now. So far Im happy with it.

hoppus

Oct 30, 2017
UK
I cant say yet. I dont think there will be much difference. It will probably mess up the computer readings a bit.

I upped the settings from 4 to 5 and it feels pretty good. There is clearly more torque and power now. So far Im happy with it.

That's great. Good to have hands on experience on the actual car rather than just stories from other people.

Currently weighing up DTUK and RaceChip and they are the only warranty 'friendly' tune.
Might pickup a racehcip as well to test seeing at it's got a 30 day moneyback guarantee.

Is yours manual or DSG?

steedy27

Oct 30, 2017

I'm looking to get either a DTUK or RaceChips box soon, did you have to wire your racechips box into the battery?. Does the 0-7 dial determine the increase in power E.G 0 is minimum and 7 is maximum power?.

From what I found with the DTUK box you get given the BHP setting but you control where you want to the power to be in the rev range

JMP

May 27, 2004
My car is manual. And no need to tap into battery. Box gets its power from the sensor wiring.

RS box has settings between 0-6. I think it just adds more boost through out the rev range when going higher. 0 is stock power.

steedy27

Oct 30, 2017
My car is manual. And no need to tap into battery. Box gets its power from the sensor wiring.

RS box has settings between 0-6. I think it just adds more boost through out the rev range when going higher. 0 is stock power.

Great thanks. Keep us updated. Looking to make a purchase in a month or two