Questions about 1.8 FR

seadog

Feb 15, 2018
Hello

I'm new to the forums and very pleased to be here. Hope you can help me with a few questions about the Mk3 Seat leon.

I'm considering buying a new leon FR with the 1.8 TSI engine. Originally I had looked at the 1.4 but do not like the idea of cylinder shutdown as have had reliability issues with this before on my BlueGT. Not driven the 1.8 as can't seem to find and used ones to test drive.

Anyone have any experience of the 1.8 petrol? What is the rear visibility like on it?
A few years ago heard bad things about Seat reliability, has this now been improved in the Leon and Ibiza?

With the optional extras was thinking of opting for:
space saver spare wheel
storage pack (would the front arm rest impede the manual handbrake??)
camera and park assistance pack
convenience pack plus and the LED interior illumination pack
winter pack

Are the above OK?
can anyone tell me what the "Navigation System High" extra is ? costs £585 on Seat UK website. Are there other good extras worth considering?

all the best and thank you.

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
Which model of Leon are you getting? That will impact visibility between the SC, 5dr and ST but I don't think it's going to be much different to most other cars.

I think the FR comes with the centre armrest as standard, so the storage pack won't make any difference there. Navigation system high is a larger 10 inch screen as far as I know - I don't think the system itself is much different software wise. The digital cockpit would be a better use of money as that's an extra screen effectively.

The Dynamic & Comfort Pack would be a great option if you can afford it due to being able to switch between comfort and sport on the suspension. You don't mention wheel upgrades, but that would be even more useful if getting 18" wheels.

seadog

Feb 15, 2018
Which model of Leon are you getting? That will impact visibility between the SC, 5dr and ST but I don't think it's going to be much different to most other cars.

I think the FR comes with the centre armrest as standard, so the storage pack won't make any difference there. Navigation system high is a larger 10 inch screen as far as I know - I don't think the system itself is much different software wise. The digital cockpit would be a better use of money as that's an extra screen effectively.

The Dynamic & Comfort Pack would be a great option if you can afford it due to being able to switch between comfort and sport on the suspension. You don't mention wheel upgrades, but that would be even more useful if getting 18" wheels.

Sorry for not including that. I'm interested in the standard 5 door version.
I was going to stick to the 17" wheels as believed bigger wheels=bumpier ride

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
Sorry for not including that. I'm interested in the standard 5 door version.
I was going to stick to the 17" wheels as believed bigger wheels=bumpier ride

Yeah, every time you step up in wheel size it's going to impact ride quality and road noise. The 17s should be OK without the comfort pack, though it's still a nice option.

Curtly

Jun 5, 2015
Essex
Reliability is great, aside from a few niggles there's been no major mechanical malfunctions.

Sat nav High doesn't include a larger screen, it just adds a hardrive - not worth it

Armrest doesn't impede handbrake

p.eco

Jun 24, 2014
Ireland
have a 1.8 for nearly 4 years now, so far no issues, just regular servicing (oil, filters etc...) I opted sat nav and im sorry that i spend money for it. Phone + google maps are still much quicker. I would rather spend money for something else. if you afraid of harsh ride on 18" wheels, get them with DCC. its perfect.

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
A few years ago heard bad things about Seat reliability, has this now been improved in the Leon and Ibiza?

My Ibiza was the first car in over 20 years that's left me stranded at the side of the road.

definitely consider getting the 18's, the Leon just looks so much better with them.
the arm rest slides back and forwards - i've never had any issues with it.

Zippy

Jul 4, 2017
My 1.8TSI FR tech came with an electric hand brake and hold function so no hand brake lever. Central cubby box is quite small but there is a storage box under the drivers seat.

The engine is very good, smooth and powerful enough! Works very well with the DSG box.

The ride on the 18" wheels isn't that bad but I guess it might be better on 17" wheels.

Also came with the nav high (or what ever it's called!) and the sat nav works well.

DANFR180

Feb 8, 2016
I have a 1.8 and my wife has a blue GT so I know them both well, the 1.8 pulls harder and longer at a cost of between 5-8 mpg average which is well worth it in my opinion. The 1.8 is in its 3rd generation so very well refined with very few common problems. Winter pack, convenient pack and 18's are a must and the sat nav and infotainment is actually pretty good but I know the first generation was awful, not a problem if you are buying new ! I wouldn't bother with nav high or storage pack, but digital cockpit would be an option I would now tick. Build quality was improved 2016 onwards and I would imagine it is even better now although you will always feel closer to the elements than in a golf which isn't always a bad thing !

Regards

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members