1.9tdi judder

Budy1234i

Feb 17, 2018
Hi everyone , i have a seat leon 1.9tdi 110bhp that has covered 147k miles recently i noticed that the car judders a lot when below 1600rpm it does it in any gear but once im over 1600rpm it drives as if everything is okay the judder feels like if there was no fuel going into the cylinders and the car was about to stall i mean it shakes the soul out of me :D I took it to a mechanic but he cant drive it cause he doesnt have insurance ? So ill have to take it to another garage but meanwhile i thought ill ask here , if it would be the flywheel then what exactly could be the cause of this ? Thanks in advance

EDIT : Also each time i change gear and let go of the clutch it feels like if i didnt do it properly like you know when you first learn to drive and when you change gears the car shakes a little bit thats how it feels which is why i think its something to do with the flywheel the biting point of the clutch is still the same , if i depress the clutch half way on idle there's no vibration or anything but i have to change gears above 1600rpm for it to be a smooth gear change.

Last edited:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Do you know if the clutch or flywheel has been replaced at any time? If you are still on the original clutch it is likely to be near the end of its life. The engine has a dual-mass flywheel, and these are known to have a short life, 147k is a long way for them, many fail at around 100k. There are two schools of thought on these, but most people would replace them with a single-mass flywheel and clutch.

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
I have the same engine with 125k miles on the original clutch. The biting point is getting high but it drives smooth.

As said above the clutch is likely to be reaching the end of its life. But I always thought the non PD 110TDI had a single mass flywheel.

I think the clutch is hydraulic, if so you may just get away with changing the fluid. Or the slave cylinder maybe failing, it’s inside the bell housing which means taking the gearbox off to change it.

If you’re going to the expense of replacing the clutch when it would make sense to replace the slave cylinder as well.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Chris, I haven't found a definitive statement about the ASV/AHF engine and dual mass flywheels, but it looks to me as if they have one. The Elsawin diagrams show the clutch plate to be without any damping springs, which indicates that they are mounted as part of the DMF, and if looking for OEM replacement parts, you always come up with a DMF.

The TDI 110 has a five-speed gearbox (I used to own one myself) and these have the clutch slave cylinder mounted externally. It's the six-speed box that has the clutch slave cylinder inside the bellhousing, where it is annular and mounted around the gearbox input shaft.

Last edited:

chriswales6

Mar 2, 2016
Well you learn something new every day :)

Good to hear the 5 speed box doesn’t have an internal slave cylinder. I wouldn’t feel so twitchy holding the clutch down at junctions and red lights now.

Would still recommend the OP having the external clutch system checked first. But if the flywheel has extra bits then it would seem the problem if it happens at particular engine revs.

Ryan_98

Leon Mk1 enthusiast
May 24, 2016
just to add to this i had the same problem the other day i had just replaced the master and slave cylinder and all was okay for a couple days, then i started driving and stopped on side of road as was sorting my music then as i went to pull of mine started juddering too heavily as i pulled away i when into second and it did it again almost like it was going to stall so pulled over and tried setting off again still did it if rev higher it doesn't do it (only does it on low or harsh revving perfectly fine all the rest of the time) when i shut off the thing seems to make a big clank sound and sometimes when i start up i replaced lower engine mount as seemed to have some excessive movement and that sort of fixed it a little at least when setting away on flats but if i try setting off on steep-ish hill it judders again the friction and pressure plate are new 10k ago dual mass seemed very good as think it had been replaced before. any ideas what it would be only does it now on hills not on the flat. thanks

verbal_kint

Apr 15, 2010
North West Kent
When stationary if you rev the engine and you can feel and even see movement/judder of the engine it will be the mounting.

But if the judder is only when when moving it will most likely be the clutch as it struggles to take up the bite. Trying to move off on an incline will make the symptom show itself even more.

And a mechanic that doesn't have insurance I'd steer well clear of... unless he's already ucked your steering up!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.