Offensive number plate allocated on new car so in need of a private plate.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
So how can it only be £80? Once the plate is taken off what plate will he put back on whilst waiting 10 years..? Sorry if it sounds dumb just something I’ve never thought about before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have recently done this. All done on line at gov.uk.

You pay just £80 as stated and a random, Year appropriate number is instantly allocated together with a certificate of retention. This is your entitlement to your old number. You have no choice in the new number..

Off you trot with your new v5c, which will be sent to you in the post and received in 3 or so days, to a local number plate maker and hand over a further £30 or so..

I was offered a list of new numbers and ran them through Google. I found several of them were dubious and surprised that they had been allowed through since dvla are supposed to filter dodgy ones out.

Accepting that we all have different thresholds of offence, I am surprised EDL got through as I thought it was a banned organisation. A good few years back, I was offered OMG for someone else I was helping buy a car, probably before this particular acronym had got into the wild, but was known to those who work with youth. The dealer looked blank when I said no.

Google is your friend in this matter.

Carlosram

Sep 29, 2017
Derby
or just sucker it up and get on with your life, I have seen plenty of EDL, BNP and left wing related plates.

I have seen these type of plates mentioned also do you think they bother me on some one else's car, of course not. Its slightly different scenario having a plate containing EDL fitted to my own car. Their ideology and methods are something that I don't agree with and why add the extra worry about where my car is parked up? Some low lives key cars because they look good I wouldn't want to give anyone any other excuse.

I have now purchased the plate FR18 FAN, I think it will look good on a car that I have been looking forward to owning over the course of the long wait since ordering and planning on keeping for a good few years. After it is out of warranty I plan on going down the modding route using the extensive knowledge of the members on here, including your good self.

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
So the Op will spend 400 squids because of that? That's a tad oversensitive.
Not wanting his car to be vandalised by morons that assume he supports a far-right hate group is being over-sensitive? :confused:

Carlosram

Sep 29, 2017
Derby
So the Op will spend 400 squids because of that? That's a tad oversensitive.
Do you not get replacement plates in the UK if you "lose" one?

If the car got vandalised it could cost a lot more than £400, plus as I have already stated for the £400 I am getting a plate that I am more than happy with think will look good on my car. I may not have bought it if it wasn't for the allocated plate but it was something I had thought about before.

Do you have any far right racist/fascist groups where you live? Would you like their name displayed on your car?

I think you would have to prove that the plate is registered to you and pay for a new plate if you lost one.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Do you not get replacement plates in the UK if you "lose" one?
It would still be the same registration number, and legally your also need to be able to provide the V5 document in order to get a replacement plate. In the UK the registration number belongs to and is normally sold with, the vehicle.
As regards the original reason for changing, I can see why the OP wouldn't want said initials on.

Carlosram

Sep 29, 2017
Derby
Surprisingly I received my V5C document with the the dodgy registration through the post this morning. I am waiting on the V750 document with my new plate details to be delivered and I can go online and instantly transfer the plate over to my car. Hopefully this will happen before Saturday and I can get the plates changed before I pick my car up.

I spoke to the DVLA this morning to see if I could transfer over the phone and they can't do it as the information on the V750 is needed and they don't have access to it. Because of my original issue they said that I could write a letter starting what problem I had with the registration and send it along with the V5C and they should be able to issue another age related plate free of charge. I was tempted to save my £399, but because it could take up to four weeks and I have warmed to the idea of my new plate I am keeping FR18 FAN.

Hopefully my Mrs won't find out about the free registration swap possibility .

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

JimH

Cupra 300 ST DSG 4Drive
May 23, 2015
Norwich, UK
Surprisingly I received my V5C document with the the dodgy registration through the post this morning. I am waiting on the V750 document with my new plate details to be delivered and I can go online and instantly transfer the plate over to my car. Hopefully this will happen before Saturday and I can get the plates changed before I pick my car up.

I spoke to the DVLA this morning to see if I could transfer over the phone and they can't do it as the information on the V750 is needed and they don't have access to it. Because of my original issue they said that I could write a letter starting what problem I had with the registration and send it along with the V5C and they should be able to issue another age related plate free of charge. I was tempted to save my £399, but because it could take up to four weeks and I have warmed to the idea of my new plate I am keeping FR18 FAN.

Hopefully my Mrs won't find out about the free registration swap possibility .

Good news - glad you dot it sorted - don't forget to update your insurance too (oh, and expect a nice invoice for £50 if you're using SEAT finance.....)

Last edited:

Carlosram

Sep 29, 2017
Derby
Good news - glad you dot it sorted - don't forget to update your insurance too (oh, and expect a nice invoice for £50 if you're using SEAT finance.....)
You gave me a bit of a scare there JimH, I have just got off the phone to SEAT finance and because I am buying the car using PCP and not leasing it there won't be any adim fee for the plate swap on their system.

Now I'm waiting on the dealership to see if they agree to make new plates for me to take away in case I've not been able to get the registration swapped over before I collect. I could do without the extra expense on top of the money I've already paid out.

JimH

Cupra 300 ST DSG 4Drive
May 23, 2015
Norwich, UK
You gave me a bit of a scare there JimH, I have just got off the phone to SEAT finance and because I am buying the car using PCP and not leasing it there won't be any adim fee for the plate swap on their system.

Now I'm waiting on the dealership to see if they agree to make new plates for me to take away in case I've not been able to get the registration swapped over before I collect. I could do without the extra expense on top of the money I've already paid out.

Ah - result then! I was sure they charged me £50 last time I did mine (PCP) 3 years ago but maybe not - it’s definitely £50 on and off for PCH though, which I’m doing this time....

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
I changed to a private plate. No charge from seat, nor the insurer as I used the drive away week on the registered plate and changed vehicles with the insurer on the day I swapped plates with one call. The originals are kept safe to save buying physical plates at sale time. If I'd registered on my cherished plate I'd have to stump up for them down the road.

All docs were much quicker than stated timescales.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
The UK has a very different system then, and far too many ferals. Vandalise your car because of a number plate?

Mate, some of the to55ers we have here don't need an excuse, we've had a couple of cars keyed ( one really badly at two weeks old) for no reason that we are aware of.

ewen1605

Jan 17, 2016
Sheffield
The UK has a very different system then, and far too many ferals. Vandalise your car because of a number plate?

Don’t think this is just the UK... remember what happened when Jeremy Clarkson had H982 FKL on their Argentina trip?

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Don’t think this is just the UK... remember what happened when Jeremy Clarkson had H982 FKL on their Argentina trip?

That was a bit different, and his c**tishness was well publicised.
I'm bloody glad NZL (NZ Labour party) didn't attract that kind of stuff when we won the Americas cup (Boat was NZL too) There would have been a few vandalised cars around.

Carlosram

Sep 29, 2017
Derby
To be fair I haven't ever had a car vandalised, touch wood. Mind you I don't think I have ever owned a car that someone might be jealous of up til now that is. ;-)

I am really getting concerned that something might happen so I am starting a vigilanty group to roam the streets looking for potential Leon vandals and intend on hassling them and taking them down. The potential vandals have a certain look and don't need to be witnessed vandalising but probably will do at some time so that's good enough to me.

The group will be named the Leon Defense Ensemble, LDE for short. We will only be concerned about defending Leon's as I don't give a damn about any other type of cars. Who's with me? :)

Last edited:
Reactions: LouG

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
To be fair I haven't ever had a car vandalised, touch wood. Mind you I don't think I have ever owned a car that someone might be jealous of up til now that is. ;-)

I am really getting concerned that something might happen so I am starting a vigilant group to roam the streets looking for potential Leon vandals and intend on hassling them and taking them down. The potential vandals have a certain look and don't need to be witnessed vandalising but probably will do at some time so that's good enough to me.

The group will be named the Leon Defense Ensemble, LDE for short. We will only be concerned about defending Leon's as I don't give a damn about any other type of cars. Who's with me? :)
Great. Let's form a club. Mine's aluminium 1.5 metres long.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013

I am really getting concerned that something might happen so I am starting a vigilanty group to roam the streets looking for potential Leon vandals and intend on hassling them and taking them down. The potential vandals have a certain look and don't need to be witnessed vandalising but probably will do at some time so that's good enough to me.

Let's all get private plates ending in LDE

Bhoopoo

Aug 14, 2008
Surrey
As my Wife now owns a KIA Venga, previous car a SEAT Ibiza FR, with the plate number SE05 EAT on retention with DVLA, does anybody want to give me an offer for it!