Diagnostic gear, what do i need ?

turbod

Feb 9, 2014
North East
As title suggests are the cheap cables and discs on ebay all I need to access the diagnostics and adjustment of other items or are they very limited in functions? I need to diagnose a bad tickover on idle on my pd 130 and I have read that this could be a bad injector wiring loom, plus I would like to be able to turn the auto door locking off and be able to re set service lights etc

Sorry for being Luddite

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Any cheap "cables" or "discs" will normally just be scammed otherwise known as illegal ripped off copies of genuine diagnostic software.

Now if you are the sort of person that regularly does a bit a shop lifting or picks pockets, then that might seem okay to you, but don't bother asking for help on these VAG forums or you will be told to F--k Off.

If you really need to get hold of a proper diagnostic tool then then either buy old stock discontinued self contained units, but be warned, if you buy a newer car they will probably not work with newer cars.

The ones that I would suggest are VCDS and Carista - both of these are suitable for most jobs, VCDS is by far the better choice but is also the more expensive, but it does come with support.

turbod

Feb 9, 2014
North East
Ok thanks, I did have a quick look at badgers guide the other day after posting this and found a download link on his guide, although it states it is very limited in it's functions, and no I try not to shoplift as a habbit :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise