MAJOR problem! Doors unlocking and windows opening on their own

MK1LeonFR

Feb 28, 2018
Recently my doors have been unlocking and windows opening automatically
I could be miles away from the car and have the keys with me, i come back and its all open?
Ive checked for a sticky button on the key, No issue there.

Its happened around 10 times the past week. Luckily it didn't do it during the snow neither when its rained so far!
But my luck is going to run out soon!

Sometimes while im driving the car its locking and unlocking itself constantly, i can hear it and see the hazards flash, ive tried to unlock and lock the car while im driving with the keys in the ignition and that doesn't work, so that's pushed me away from thinking its a sticky button on the key and an internal problem with the car somewhere.

I really need to get this sorted because i could wake up one morning with the interior ruined or even worse without a car! I cant afford for that to happen!

Ive been told by a friend that it could be a 'Comfort module' which is located below the steering wheel, i have a spare one from another car im stripping. but i've been told its not as easy as just swapping it as it would need to be coded to the different car, i dont want to go down that route unless thats definitely the issue!

When it first happened, i noticed the passenger doorcard internal handle was broken and was slightly open, so i change the doorcard to a spare i had at the house and that sorted the issue for a few days, but its back! I cannot for the life of my figure it out!
HELP please!

I need to get to the bottom of this, this weekend or ill have to get rid of the car as its a fairly big issue.

TIA

Last edited:

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
As far as I know the drivers comfort module is inside the drivers door. Does stuff like central locking, windows, puddle lights, audible warnings.
You can just replace them with no drama. No recoding needed.
You will have to re seal the door after or you’ll get wet carpets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MK1LeonFR

Feb 28, 2018
Hi there.

I would search from something like this:

I have a spare, would that be what is causing the issue? As i can change that tonight!
or would it be the COMFORT CONVENIENCE ECU MODULE (Seach that on ebay as i cant post links)

MK1LeonFR

Feb 28, 2018
As far as I know the drivers comfort module is inside the drivers door. Does stuff like central locking, windows, puddle lights, audible warnings.
You can just replace them with no drama. No recoding needed.
You will have to re seal the door after or you’ll get wet carpets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Do you know where it is, or what it looks like?

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
It's not something I've had to sort yet. But As far as I'm aware it's one of two units inside the door. There's one for your door then comfort module is the one with about 20 wires going in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

cg82lee@gmail.

cg82lee
Feb 17, 2015
Normally on VW based chassis the comfort module is under the passenger seat , and water ingress is the cause of it going bonkers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Hi mate it will probably be the door lock module which you have to strip door internals to change. Plenty of write-ups regarding this and it’s quite easy when you know how. I would personally buy all 4 and replace them (they are cheap enough on flea bay).
I replaced all mine in the space of 4 months after the first one started playing up
Something like this: item no on the Bay 131707889033

Last edited:

MK1LeonFR

Feb 28, 2018
Normally on VW based chassis the comfort module is under the passenger seat , and water ingress is the cause of it going bonkers

Its under the steering wheel on the leons, recently removed from my second leon im stripping, just costs a bit to get them coded to a different car.

MK1LeonFR

Feb 28, 2018
Hi mate it will probably be the door lock module which you have to strip door internals to change. Plenty of write-ups regarding this and it’s quite easy when you know how. I would personally buy all 4 and replace them (they are cheap enough on flea bay).
I replaced all mine in the space of 4 months after the first one started playing up
Something like this: item no on the Bay 131707889033

I was also thinking this, i may try to fix if i decide to keep the car, but the way its going im more than likely going to sell it as it is fairly cheap! Haven't got the time or effort to fix more problems with this one, there have been far to many so far! thanks for the reply.

smutts

Apr 12, 2020
Okay, okay, Holy thread revival Batman. etc.

I've got the same, random problem.
I am assuming a buggered switch in the drivers door lock module, or melted wire.
It's the same as if you put the key in the lock and held it in the unlocked position,
Central locking unlocks and all windows wind down,
randomly in the middle of the night whilst it is p*ssing down with rain.
Then the cat climbs in and cr*ps in it.

I've had some rubbish Fleabay door modules in the past, any tips for suppliers of decent ones?

Last edited: