EPC and engine light ------ PLS HELP

iliastra

Oct 12, 2013
Last Monday just started the engine of my car (1.8 tsi Leon – 2014) activated the orange light of machine management. Directly Ι gone to SEAT dealer, during the journey (house --> Dealer, not over 8 km) I noticed that the car had a high temperature (117oC) while it was always stable at 90oC(winter/summer, I live in Greece). Dealer said me that should replace the Heater Control Valve (4h0121671d) as it happened. Αfter two days I got the car on my hand again because the dealer had no ready-made spare part. I paid 185 euro (work + spare part)… I made few kilometers around 20 km and everything seemed to be good… The next morning, I started the engine and activated the EPC light and appears 2 message “Start/Stop Malfunction, Disabled” and “Do Not Exceed max engine speed of 4000 RPM”. I turned off the engine and started again but this time activated EPC light and the machine management light…. Again my car started to raise temperature above 90 oC. Again to dealer, again the car to VAGCOM..This time the dealer said me that the cooling circuit must be cleaned. It sounds me very strange to was needed cleaned the refrigeration system on a car that is only 4 years old. I believe that the problem is not this

Has something like happened to someone?
Suspects somebody what can happen in my car????

I am on the brink of a nervous crisis.............:(:(

Thank you in advance

Pimpchez

Jan 20, 2018
Last Monday just started the engine of my car (1.8 tsi Leon – 2014) activated the orange light of machine management. Directly Ι gone to SEAT dealer, during the journey (house --> Dealer, not over 8 km) I noticed that the car had a high temperature (117oC) while it was always stable at 90oC(winter/summer, I live in Greece). Dealer said me that should replace the Heater Control Valve (4h0121671d) as it happened. Αfter two days I got the car on my hand again because the dealer had no ready-made spare part. I paid 185 euro (work + spare part)… I made few kilometers around 20 km and everything seemed to be good… The next morning, I started the engine and activated the EPC light and appears 2 message “Start/Stop Malfunction, Disabled” and “Do Not Exceed max engine speed of 4000 RPM”. I turned off the engine and started again but this time activated EPC light and the machine management light…. Again my car started to raise temperature above 90 oC. Again to dealer, again the car to VAGCOM..This time the dealer said me that the cooling circuit must be cleaned. It sounds me very strange to was needed cleaned the refrigeration system on a car that is only 4 years old. I believe that the problem is not this

Has something like happened to someone?
Suspects somebody what can happen in my car????

I am on the brink of a nervous crisis.............:(:(

Thank you in advance
Why wasnt a pressure test done ?

Replace thermostat after you have done this then reasses

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

iliastra

Oct 12, 2013
I dont know.....pressure test where??? On water pump???
Probably they look only at the error codes shown in vagcon...

Pimpchez

Jan 20, 2018
I dont know.....pressure test where??? On water pump???
Probably they look only at the error codes shown in vagcon...
Ask for it to be done , they should know what to do its a basic test checking for leaks .

I hate this modern mentality of just looking at codes instead of proper investigation.
Take it somewhere if they dont fill you with confidence

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Pressure test of the cooling system to detect leaks. If the system needs flushing, which is unlikely on modern properly maintained cars, you would see dirty contaminated water in the overflow tank.
I'm also thinking the thermostat may not be opening fully. Check and replace that and do a system flush at the same time.

iliastra

Oct 12, 2013
The thermostat was changed along with the valve. Leak I do not know if there is but I check my car often, I did not notice a drop in the fluid level. A very strange problem and I will lose my mind...

SteveFR

Dec 7, 2016
Bucks
My 1.8 TSi developed similar set of errors to the OP the other evening and my engine overheated merely driving 30mph across town for 15 minutes, I had to pull over and pop the bonnet to help it cool down before completing my journey home.

My regular VAG indie plus local dealership are booked up until next week, so just wondering if there are any basics that I should look for (coolant plus oil levels both appear normal and I cannot see anything blocking air intake) or would somewhere like a Kwik-Fit be able to competently carry out a coolant system pressure check?

C6C796F9-170F-4D2F-B15A-C3D279D5C868.jpeg

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.