Seat leon 2015 FR 5DR thule roof bars

Deano3

Sep 28, 2016
Hi everyone i have a seat leon fr 150 5 door 2015 model, i am going on holiday in summer and after some roof bars to attatch the bikes to ,are the thule ones the smartest ? I would prefer not to put parts in door seals as looks better straight onto roof but not seen any leons with roof bars.

Anyone got any pichures of theres and whats best options ? Thule says wingbar edge 9594

Thanks dean

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Deano3

Sep 28, 2016
Just noticed there is no way to attctch without putting around the door seals and nowere on roof to attatch

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
I wouldn’t recommend getting roof bars which attach in the door seals. Had problems on my Ibiza with them and wouldn’t use this type again.

Tow bar would be the best option.

JMP

May 27, 2004
I wouldn’t recommend getting roof bars which attach in the door seals. Had problems on my Ibiza with them and wouldn’t use this type again.

Tow bar would be the best option.

What kind of problems?

I have used G3 roof bars with my 5 door FR Leon without any problems. I use G3 bars because they were cheapest I could find and good experiences before. I only need them a couple of times a year so looks are secondary.

f20264c2-7ba4-4dd5-8613-afd88a5ee184.jpeg

Last edited:

chrisRibiza

Sep 27, 2007
I did leave mine on permentantly but water leaked in past the door seal on heavy rain and the driver side door started to get temperamental getting it to close due to the roof bar bracket clamping the door frame.

Deano3

Sep 28, 2016
Yes i will have to get something like that and i am the same only need few times a year so will removed when get back off holiday etc , will just look for 2nd hand ones, what thuke ones fit? Also would vost same to buy a bars etc then rent the bikes so if use few times get moneys worth i soppose then can resell

russbellrfs

Jan 7, 2018
Wife had thule ones on 5dr Focus for a few years. No problems with leaking as there is 2 seals on doors and there is little hole at top of door frame specifically for roof rack mounting. The mounting brackets are coated with rubber and left no marks when removed.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
Thule are best. Get the 754 etc over the Wingbar edge for a longer platform. I've had them on permanently on lots of cars without issue.

chrispcupre

Jul 27, 2011
leicestershire
I got the seat ones for my 5f hatch and they are thule oval ones, i ordered through the dealer that sponsors this forum, good price i had the bike racks from my old roof bars already to swap over the thule wing bars are smart but pricey

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Mikeyh22

Oct 18, 2014
Bolton
I’ve got the seat branded roof bars for my 5 door which are actually Thule. They fit well but I don’t leave them on all the time because the noise is bad when you go above 50. I think the types that go around the door seals are the only ones you can get as the leon doesn’t have any grooves in the roof.

Last edited:

chrispcupre

Jul 27, 2011
leicestershire
I’ve got the seat branded roof bars for my 5 door which are actually Thule. They fit well but I don’t leave them on all the time because the noise is bad when you go above 50. I think the types that go around the door seals are the only ones you can get as the leon doesn’t have any grooves in the roof.
+1 for wind noise and i dont speed in duel carriage or motorways with bikes on due to the effect of drag on economy i too remove after using i just remove clamps and lift the whole thing off in one as the 3 bike cariers hold it square much better than my boot mounted rack on my mk1 leon

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
Wingbars are much quieter than the older oval ones. The oem ones are on eBay for less than £100 new which is less than the sum of their parts from Thule.

moriarty

Apr 6, 2015
Edinburgh
I've got the older Thule Aerobars and have only used once on a long journey to carry skis, the whistling drive us mad over 60.

chrispcupre

Jul 27, 2011
leicestershire
It doesnt make any odds on how quiet the bars are to me because the three mtb's on top make all the wind noise !

russbellrfs

Jan 7, 2018
When the bars were on the wifes car. U never knew they were there, thule wing bars

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016

I think they're what I had in mind but those are for three door. What Thule call the Footpack is about £70 on its own. The car specific part (Fitting Kit in Thule speak) is interchangeable so you could buy from that link and the 5 door kit and sell the 3 door bits. (The three door bit is only available through seat, from Thule it needs a short roof adapter which adds cost and looks gash; one of the reasons didn't get an sc as I run bars continually for various boys I toys.) Sure you'd break even with the swop.)

Edit

Thule want £225 rrp for wingbars, kit and Footpack. The 1707 kit for 5 door is £33 on eBay. Significant saving to be had even compromising with older aero bars and if you don't sell the 3 door kit.

Last edited:

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I think they're what I had in mind but those are for three door. What Thule call the Footpack is about £70 on its own. The car specific part (Fitting Kit in Thule speak) is interchangeable so you could buy from that link and the 5 door kit and sell the 3 door bits. (The three door bit is only available through seat, from Thule it needs a short roof adapter which adds cost and looks gash; one of the reasons didn't get an sc as I run bars continually for various boys I toys.) Sure you'd break even with the swop.)

Edit

Thule want £225 rrp for wingbars, kit and Footpack. The 1707 kit for 5 door is £33 on eBay. Significant saving to be had even compromising with older aero bars and if you don't sell the 3 door kit.

There seems to be different options available for the three door mk3

My Thule kit does not use a short roof adaptor as described above.
Never had any issues with it at any speeds with three bikes on Thule bike carriers.

Fee23245

Aug 15, 2018
Hi I have a seat Leon fr 5 door with a sun roof. Can someone please tell Me if I am able to fit roof bars in first place and if yes what type? Thanks

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.