Quick Question about fuel

Hunnimonster

Mar 11, 2018
I was just wondering what petrol you put into your Cupra.
Only asking as I've just brought my own Cupra 280! I filled it up with a full tank of BP ultimate 97.

Liam0161

Apr 23, 2017
Manchester
Shell v power but I’ve put Tesco Momentum99 in too. I would only use these personally. When you run empty try one an I bet you notice the difference.

Deleted member 103408

Shell V-Power and dont forget to get your loyalty card :)

BigARG

Mar 24, 2015
Essex
Morrisons. All good, no problems 50k and still running as good as day 1.

Last edited:

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
Engine is tuned for 98. Why pay more for 97? Get momentum or v power, or run it on 95

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Mine gets a pay day treat of a full tank of Shell vPower and then the rest of the time it’s Tesco Momentum.
Might just be a placebo effect but I only use Shell once a month to get the ‘cleaning additives’ they promote in vPower. Car seems to be much more responsive with vPower.

Seat Leon Cupra 290 DSG Black Edition (Alor Blue) Stage 2

Pimpchez

Jan 20, 2018
I have used all 3 extensively.

BP is 0.5 miles up the road and it gave me record tank mileage of 327miles brim to light .

Shell is now a penny cheaper but requires a detour after gym into traffic , car is slightly more responsive but it barely does 300 miles to a tank

Tesco is 5.5miles up the road but is about 13p cheaper than shell (went at weekend) , no difference in performance/response with my butt dyno and will do over 300 to tank easily along with being better on wallet .

9.5/10 its got shell in it

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Owen83

Feb 9, 2018
Just bear in mind that Tesco momentum 99 is produced by Shell at their Stanlow refinery............

hellooo

Nov 2, 2014
I only use V Power with the occasional tank of Tesco Momentum. Latter does seem to provide slightly better economy, but haven't driven in exactly the same conditions, so could be due to various factors. 98 recommended, so never use standard fuel.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Put them on a dyno and test. Seat of the pants dynos, and one tank mileage is hardly definitive.

I can feel a slight difference between 95 and 98 on both my cars, but that's only in warm weather and at higher revs. The ECU is not pulling back ignition advance.
I noticed a huge difference with my supercharged MX5, because 98 (or octane booster) allowed me to run 6 degrees more initial timing than on 95.

Pimpchez

Jan 20, 2018
Put them on a dyno and test. Seat of the pants dynos, and one tank mileage is hardly definitive.

I can feel a slight difference between 95 and 98 on both my cars, but that's only in warm weather and at higher revs. The ECU is not pulling back ignition advance.
I noticed a huge difference with my supercharged MX5, because 98 (or octane booster) allowed me to run 6 degrees more initial timing than on 95.
Of course its pulling timing , especially as ambient rises .
The car explicitly recommends 98 ron so why put 95 in ?
The higher the Ron basically means it's more resistant to self detonation under pressure , the combustion strategy is obviously optomised for this.
In countrys with widely poor fuel like brazil OEMs can adjust the mapping to suit but there is a performance hit.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Owen83

Feb 9, 2018
It doesn’t mean it is the same as any fuel Shell sell though.

no, you are correct. they both have slightly different ethanol content and other additives. but are made from the same crude stock, so there really is very little difference.

A lot of people slate supermarket fuel with no reason. I have worked in Oil & gas for 9 years... all super market fuel is produced by the big brand refineries (Shell, Valero, Murco, Conoco Philips etc)

Obviously you get the best performance from running the RON rating that your engine is designed for, but people who say 'I only use V power'..... :shrug:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.