Coilovers - What to buy ? AP, ST X, B14 and Lowtec

a22tenc

Jan 21, 2015
Hi,

after having DTS coils for some months I said to myself that I will not keep those for much longer that's it's enough, the car suffered too much (rattles everywhere) and i'm always worried about dodging holes and other imperfections of the road as I can feel everything, they are so stiff that sometimes it feels like it's riding on wood planks.

I've been searching and found some better alternatives being AP the first choice as it is the cheapest of the ones I checked and because ppl say it's the best quality for the price.

The other choices that are on the table are ST X and Bilstein B14 being both around 100euros more expensive. But I still need to check on a local store if they can make a better price on the AP since they are distributors. Oh I also looked at Lowtec 9.1 and 9.2 not sure if it's a known brand on UK.

They are for a Ibiza MK5 (quite obvious) FR 1.6 TDI.

I'm after the best comfort possible.

Thanks.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
why not the standard suspension as it is stiff enough.

Last edited:

DamianPM

Mar 26, 2008
Newcastle/Durham
Personally I find the Bilstein B14 kit more handling orientated so on the firmer side and also offer not a great deal in terms of drop. Are you wanting them solely for fast road use?

Damian @ DPM Performance

a22tenc

Jan 21, 2015
No, it's my daily drive, although I could use it sometimes for some spirited driving I mainly want comfort and drop but it doesn't have to be a huge drop and it will not be used in track road..

As I have mine right now, 1 and half fingers at front and back looks fine for me although I may lower it a bit more.

Do you think if I drop the maximum amount it will affect the comfort with this higher end of coils (st x and b14) ?

Last edited:

a22tenc

Jan 21, 2015
Damian can you confirm me if the ST X are the same as the old Weitec Hicon GT ? I was googling those and the part number is the same.

a22tenc

Jan 21, 2015
Hi again, I ended up buying the B14 because I got a deal on them that was hard to refuse.

So today I instaled the rears and I'm bit confused about the orientation of the spring and the height adjuster (can't remember the correct term now).

The manual says to use the oem rubber that sits between the chassis and the spring then the black ring, then height adjuster, blue ring, spring but if I put that oem rubber on the height adjuster it doesn't sit properly and it looks like it's going to hop off under pressure, so I installed everything without it.

120438_x800.jpg

If I remember correctly, from H&R springs, the part where the coils are closer to each other, goes on top and wider at the bottom but on this springs the lettering is upside down.

I'm really confused. Someone can clarify this ?

EbrZ

Technocrat
Apr 28, 2017
Greece,Trikala
any update on this coilover setup? how's comfort? i'm looking into buying some coilovers for my 10' cupra and since i'm in greece and the roads here are like a severe case of teenagers acne face,i'm looking into some ride drop without a great loss on comfort.

a22tenc

Jan 21, 2015
any update on this coilover setup? how's comfort? i'm looking into buying some coilovers for my 10' cupra and since i'm in greece and the roads here are like a severe case of teenagers acne face,i'm looking into some ride drop without a great loss on comfort.

Well depending on the drop you're looking for, these don't drop that much on the rear compared to the front. On the front I have Powerflex strut mounts shorter version which gives an extra 10mm of lowering and I still have ~20mm of thread left but lower than that becomes harsher.

Only if the rear dropped 10mm more that would be perfect. I removed the height adjuster and that made almost no difference in drop (less than 5mm), but it was alot more bouncy and harsh so I put it back.

The roads here are like that, but I don't think you'll loose too much comfort, yes they will be stiffer and you will feel almost every imperfection but after all they are coilovers.

Actually the quicker you go the better they feel.

Here's how it is now.

IMG_20180304_183241.jpg

Last edited:

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Cool did it cure the tyre wear problem you had?

the car is higher in the back from stock...

I don't like to see lowered cars, mainly because some people exagerate, in your case is perfect.

a22tenc

Jan 21, 2015
It didn't. The strange thing is it's not all way around the tire makes me think if it is my driving.

This photo was taken before I changed tires, bought some Potenza S0001.

IMG_20180302_183755.jpg

Yes, I know. Way higher.... :(

I agree with you but if it was a bit more lower it would be perfect for me.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
It could not be your driving stile, must be something the wheel is touching when you turn to the opposite side.

a22tenc

Jan 21, 2015
I thought about that but there's no rubbing marks so I don't know what could be causing it.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise