Loud knocking and wheel spin from standing start

Stevan

Apr 8, 2017
Musselburgh
If I accelerate hard from zero, along with a load of wheel spin (which I try to control without much luck), I also get a loud knocking / banging noise from the front (I think). Is that the 'wheel bounce' I've heard about or some kind Traction Control nonsense?

Any opinions / knowledge would be much appreciated.
(1.4 ACT ST, MYE 2016)

Last edited:

silles

May 4, 2017
yeah wheel hop, mine does the same

do not floor it in 1st, start with less throttle then floor it

Last edited:

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
My 184FR did this once when I had to pull out of a junction quickly. There was some chevron markings that I had to cross, and it wheelspan on the chevron line, gripped in-between on the tarmac, span again on the next, and so one. Loud bangs each time it gripped where not very nice!

Stevan

Apr 8, 2017
Musselburgh
Thanks for the replies. Yes it was out a junction where there's almost never a gap in the traffic to get out and over central diagonal lines, I tried 'jumping' into the flow of traffic.
Looks like I need to get better at controlling the wheel spin, once they've started spinning, backing off on the throttle doesn't seem to work as well as in previous cars..I must try harder. As suggested, I'll try getting moving a bit first before applying more power rather than just flooring it.

Last edited:

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Just out of interest, what tyres do you have? I found previous Cupra on Bridgestones was always doing it, seemed to get better when I changed to Goodyear's. Next step would be the bush insert, but as it's a lease and going back in July I'm not bothering.

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
My 280 used to do it too - it was the one thing that annoyed me about that car. Everything else was good though.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
I found this was much worse in "sport" mode compared to "normal". It was doing it even at a 5 to 15% throttle pedal application in sport but is fine in normal.

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
I found this was much worse in "sport" mode compared to "normal". It was doing it even at a 5 to 15% throttle pedal application in sport but is fine in normal.
Would that have something to do with the dampers being at a softer setting or the throttle responsiveness?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Stevan

Apr 8, 2017
Musselburgh
Just out of interest, what tyres do you have? I found previous Cupra on Bridgestones was always doing it, seemed to get better when I changed to Goodyear's. Next step would be the bush insert, but as it's a lease and going back in July I'm not bothering.

Hi. Dunlop Sports Maxx RT, but there's an RT2 on the front left, which probably isn't ideal. Fair amount of wheel spin in the wet (without 'hop' though), even in second if I floor it.

I've no idea about dog bone mounts, I know the 1.4 ACT is pretty base model for suspension and brakes though, it's the 184+ that have all that (and the gearbox I think) uprated.

On sport mode, yes the 1.4 ACT (manual) can only do something with the throttle, there's nothing it can do with the suspension (or gears since it's not DSG) and I'm completely buggered if I can spot any difference between 'sport' and 'normal'. I may try to experiment with those on some fast starts but I'm a bit old for wheel spinning up the street.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.