Pothole damage!!

Bobbajob

Sep 25, 2017
I hit a pothole in Wolverhampton on the way into work this morning.
Tyre pressure warning within 50m of the bang. Pulled into a car park straight away and tyre was flat.
Went back and took a load of photos of the pothole.

The wheel and tyre are currently with Kwikfit for an autopsy. Hoping for good news.

Cranchi

Mar 20, 2018
Split in Alloy wheel

I have an alloy that has a crack in it, but I haven't hit anything. Just over 12 months of very careful motoring and Seat want to charge me £597.00 to replace this alloy. Despite no rim damage whatsoever.

The split was getting bigger by the day and now the tyre will not stay inflated.

There seems to be a pin hole half way up the crack. I suggest every Leon owner should carefully examine their alloys to ensure this isn't happening.

It could cause a fatal accident if the tyre deflated at speed !!!

The Seat dealer - Lookers Manchester - claim this is fair wear and tear. I would think that a modern alloy wheel should last the lfietime of the vehicle unless damaged by impact or accident, which is clearly not the case...

Terrible customer care.

Phil

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Our local council has just spent a load replacing the pavements. Potholes on the roads everywhere. Perhaps they have more claims from pedestrians tripping over than motorists damaged wheels!
You've got it in one. Exactly why they have removed old slab type pavements and replaced them with tarmac ones.
I have an alloy that has a crack in it, but I haven't hit anything. Just over 12 months of very careful motoring and Seat want to charge me £597.00 to replace this alloy. Despite no rim damage whatsoever.

The split was getting bigger by the day and now the tyre will not stay inflated.

There seems to be a pin hole half way up the crack. I suggest every Leon owner should carefully examine their alloys to ensure this isn't happening.

It could cause a fatal accident if the tyre deflated at speed !!!

The Seat dealer - Lookers Manchester - claim this is fair wear and tear. I would think that a modern alloy wheel should last the lfietime of the vehicle unless damaged by impact or accident, which is clearly not the case...

Terrible customer care.

Phil
It's unfortunate and if I was in your position I'd be pretty hacked off too, but look at it from Seat's view. They have only your word to say that you haven't hit anything in the 12 months you have had the vehicle. Without irrefutable proof , and unless you can provide evidence that this is a manufacturing fault ( which will probably cost you) I'm afraid you are not likely to get Seat to move on this. Best option is to see if you can get it repaired.
Not what you want hear I know, but there it is.

cbcdesign

Feb 5, 2015
Wish I'd had known the process back then. This looks like good advice.

They either spot fix them or lay down the new tarmac that melts in the hot sun and seems to develop pot holes in no time at all.

Saying that there is seemingly alot more cars on the roads now..

True but in which case that means a lot more revenue from road tax and fuel tax is going into the governments purse

steedy27

Oct 30, 2017

Phil

I had this before on my previous car, find a local place which does alloy wheel welding, they will fix that easily

Jambo349

Mar 25, 2018
I am currently running on a space saver due to a pothole smashing my alloy part number 5F0071490A KT2 - lease car too. If anyone knows of a used alloy being available or a seat dealer that takes pity on its customers let me know as I've had a quote for just under £600 to supply a new wheel, which doesn't include a tyre, fitting, balancing etc.
I reported the pothole but when I went back after the snow had gone it had already been filled in so not convinced the council will compensate me.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.