Rear knocking front “croaking”

FRant

Jan 22, 2017
Had my 15 plate a year and it has done 28k miles. Recently I started to notice knocking from the rear end. It is mainly over older rougher roads, it feels like there is metal on metal contact and you can almost feel it transfer down the car. Seat had it about 4 months ago and said they couldn't find anything wrong with it and I should let it develop before more action is taken. It's getting worse. I'm booked in again next week but wondered if anyone had similar experiences or had an idea what it could be. Rear roll bar bushes perhaps?

Also, when I turn right and go over a bump I get a croaking sound. Again Seat said they couldn't find anything and I had to let it develop. After doing some research and had a retired mechanic in the car he suspects drop links. Are these a common issue?

Any help would be appreciated so I can be ready for when Seat say they cant find anything wrong....again.

cybman

Apr 21, 2014
i have exactly the same problem ,and the answer from seat is " cant find anything wrong"

i hear a squeak from the front side over a bump.

they made some adjustmennts on anti roll bar but the problem wasnt fixed.

psychobob

Oct 6, 2005
Near Cardiff
SEAT had my FR184 for 2 weeks and replaced all the rear suspension components. This made no difference so they put the originals back on. It made the knocking a lot less obvious but its still there.

The front has creaked from the first day I had it but this hasn't got any worse and its passed an MOT and a couple of services, so haven't done anything about this - I can live with it

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Suspension noises are a complete bitch to find. All you can do is try and locate which corner it's coming from, and then try and find the cause up on a hoist. But the hoist has to lift from the wheels.
We used to spray rubber bushes with CRC to find which was creaking, then replace it if worn.

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
Yep, I've had that. There is aTPI on it which involves spraying bush ends with grease. Had it done twice now. Works for a bit then the frog is back.

I subjectively feel it's worse after it dries out and better in the rain

Tara

Jan 21, 2008
Bournemouth
Yep, I've had that. There is aTPI on it which involves spraying bush ends with grease. Had it done twice now. Works for a bit then the frog is back.

I subjectively feel it's worse after it dries out and better in the rain

Definitely eliminated in the rain.

FRant

Jan 22, 2017
Had it back from Seat today, they can't find anything. I even went out on the test drive and it made the knocking. I even played them the recording I made to give them the idea of the type of noise.

They took it for a second test drive without me as I passed in my wife's car. They sent me a report stating all suspension components were good and sent me a video of the underside of the car. Once again I was told to let the issue develop....... Very helpful

JACUPRA280

Jun 18, 2015
Somewhere
Had it back from Seat today, they can't find anything. I even went out on the test drive and it made the knocking. I even played them the recording I made to give them the idea of the type of noise.

They took it for a second test drive without me as I passed in my wife's car. They sent me a report stating all suspension components were good and sent me a video of the underside of the car. Once again I was told to let the issue develop....... Very helpful

I experienced numerous suspension issues with my Cupra. As follows:

1. I had a front knocking noise on my Cupra for months. The knock happened setting off or accelerating hard. SEAT couldn't find the issue at first but after I returned it to them 4 times, they found the lower control arm to be faulty.

2. The front end then developed another knocking noise. That noise happened over bumpy, uneven surfaces or sometimes just randomly when it wanted to. An independent garage found it to be the top strut. Test it yourself - Open your bonnet, have somebody turn the steering wheel with the bonnet open, and put your hand on the top strut. If you hear it creaking and groaning, or you feel it creaking, then that's the source of your issue. Test each side.

Hope that helps.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members