Mirror fun

Izomezzo

Apr 9, 2017
Leeds
Hi,

Today I tried to set up the automatic dipping passenger mirror when reversing. But I'm pretty sure my car doesn't have the feature. I put the car in reverse with the mirror control set to L and adjusted my mirror down. I then put it into neutral but the mirror stayed in the same position. I had a look in the settings and I saw one for mirror synchronization. As far as I can tell both mirrors should move together when this is on, but that doesn't work either.

Does anybody have experience with these features?

Thanks,

Izomezzo

Apr 9, 2017
Leeds
Hmm apparently you need to be doing over 15kmh for the mirror to reset. So I'll try that. But I don't see any reference to it in my paper manual so I'm a bit skeptical. And the synchronization is a bit of a mystery still.

Cheers,

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Yes, mirror resets once moving forward. I think you've done everything right. Leave mirror select in L position and you should be golden ;)

nuvolablue

May 1, 2017
No need to start driving above 15kmh, just leave it in reverse and turn the mirror knob to anywhere but the L position......it should tilt back upwards.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Walone

Feb 10, 2016
Near Heathrow
Hmm apparently you need to be doing over 15kmh for the mirror to reset. So I'll try that. But I don't see any reference to it in my paper manual so I'm a bit skeptical. And the synchronization is a bit of a mystery still.

Cheers,

I think the sync only works when you have it set to adjust the drivers mirror.

Izomezzo

Apr 9, 2017
Leeds
I tried both of these and nothing happened. I think I know why my car doesn't have it. Looking through the forums I saw some posts about a bug in the feature in 2013 pre-December models. The mirror dipped on reverse but didn't reset properly. so they removed the feature temporarily. This would explain why there's no mention of the feature in my manual and why I don't have the setting in the Car Settings and most importantly why it doesn't work. I think even if I could enable this with VCDS it may not reset correctly because of the version of the software in my car. It's a pity, it's a really handy feature.

Cheers,

Last edited:

dephead2004

Aug 3, 2013
I tried both of these and nothing happened. I think I know why my car doesn't have it. Looking through the forums I saw some posts about a bug in the feature in 2013 pre-December models. The mirror dipped on reverse but didn't reset properly. so they removed the feature temporarily. This would explain why there's no mention of the feature in my manual and why I don't have the setting in the Car Settings and most importantly why it doesn't work. I think even if I could enable this with VCDS it may not reset correctly because of the version of the software in my car. It's a pity, it's a really handy feature.

Cheers,

Join the very small and elite club of losers!

I don't believe you will get any software fix to work as the hardware is missing from the mirror itself. They really should have replaced all our door mirrors as it was on the order. Good luck with that!

Last edited:

russbellrfs

Jan 7, 2018
If u know someone with Carista u can try that, but if youve tried other OBD stuff then doubt it would work

Last edited:

Izomezzo

Apr 9, 2017
Leeds
I haven't tried any obd stuff, I don't have any equipment. Interesting then that the hardware was removed. I guess it wasn't a software fault then.

Cheers,

russbellrfs

Jan 7, 2018
I haven't tried any obd stuff, I don't have any equipment. Interesting then that the hardware was removed. I guess it wasn't a software fault then.

Cheers,
IIRC as long as ur mirrors move electrically, you should be able to code in the dip

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

andycupra

status subject to change
in the MK1 you needed to have electric memory seats as you saved the feature to the memory, - might not be the case now.

However, - for the feature to work, the mirror knob had to be in the drivers position as that affected both mirrors, (triangulation feature), - which did not match the handbook - presumably as it was a literal translation... IE it said L or R rather than drivers or passengers side so when translated meant it was the wrong way around as it didn't take into account british cars have the steering wheel on the correct side.

Was a lovely feature when it worked in my Mk1 and I miss it now.
RIP.

Last edited:

Izomezzo

Apr 9, 2017
Leeds
Thanks guys. VCDS looks interesting. What type of cable do I need though? There are two types. My only worry is that if I got the dip working it wouldn't reset correctly, since this was the reason it was dropped.

Cheers,

Last edited:

Wastedagen

Aug 3, 2017
Milton keynes
I have a 2014 mk3 and I used obd11 to enable this feature... It tilted down ok, but never returned back to its original position... Always stopped too low. So I gave up using it. Keep the dial set O now..

Izomezzo

Apr 9, 2017
Leeds
I have a 2014 mk3 and I used obd11 to enable this feature... It tilted down ok, but never returned back to its original position... Always stopped too low. So I gave up using it. Keep the dial set O now..

That's interesting. It suggests a software fix then. There must be some other config or upgrade to get the mirror to reset correctly when it's added "officially".

Cheers,