Eco mode not saved

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
Tell I asked a question on the Ateca forum about having to reset eco mode each time you start the car. On my Leon once you set the mode it stayed set until you changed it but on my 18 reg Ateca you have to reset it each time you start the car. The answer appeared to be that on early Ateca's the mode was saved but on later models you need to reset it every time you start the car which is bloody annoying. Is there anyway of changing this with VCDS. The light on the mode selector says it's in eco mode when in fact it is in drive. Surely this cannot be right?

Tell

Staff member
I did notice that question. Yes mine sticks in the mode it's placed in except 4Drive snow where it takes itself out after you turn the engine off and restart. I'll research the subject.

Then I did read the question I wondered why nobody told you to look in the SEAT Drive Profile although it's something I don't change. I would have thought you could customise Indvidual to Eco but perhaps that gets toggled off again.

The latest manual says for November 2017 says

● When the vehicle is switched off it will al-
ways store the driving profile that was selec-
ted when the ignition key was removed. Nev-
ertheless, when the engine is restarted, the
engine and the gear will not restart in the set-
ting selected. For engine and gear to revert to
the desired position, select the correspond-
ing drive profile again or press the Easy Con-
nect system button repeatedly.
● When the vehicle is restarted after using
the Offroad or Snow settings, the system is
always activated in the Normal profile.
● Your speed and driving style must always
be adjusted to visibility, weather, and traffic
conditions.
● The Eco profile is not recommended when
towing a vehicle.

The original May 2016 manual said

When the
vehicle is switched off it will al-
ways store the driving profile that was selec-
ted when the ignition key was removed, ex-
cept in the following cases: – When the vehicle is restarted after using
the Sport profile, the engine and the
gearbox will not restart in the sportiest
setting so as to reduce fuel consumption.
To return the engine and the gearbox to
their sportiest position, select the Sport
driving profile again.
– When the vehicle is restarted after using
the Offroad or Snow settings, the sys-
tem is always activated in the Normal
profile.
● Your speed and driving style must always
be adjusted to visibility, weather, and traffic
conditions.
● The Eco profile is not recommended when towing a vehicle.

So according to the manual sport and 4Drive modes were note retained. Perhaps they decided people were spending too long in Eco for the cars health so altered the way it works. I don't use Eco because of SCR in the 2.0 diesel. I have had it reported back that active regeneration occur more often when you use Eco. In this instance I did what Honest John says.

Perhaps the introduction of DCC for 2018 model led them to reconfigure this setup since it does have a bearing on the driver profile.

I'll put it on the back burner... or pass back to you :).

You got to find the module in Obdeleven to see whether there are any toggle settings around it.

In this thread for the Mk7 the esteemed Don makes reference to the mk7 module in Ross Tech

"IDE06507-MAS13132-Button in center console-Function of button 3 "

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?13277-Driver-Profile-Select-(MK7)

Sort of looks hopefully.

See if you can find the engineering menu in the Obdeleven but I'd be careful. It's probably all going to be in German. Where you should look I reckon.

I can't find anything on the German or Spanish sites in this respect.

Tell

Staff member
You could try looking through the adaptions in the 09 module in case it's been brought out as a menu option rather than long coding. For an Audi where the suspension handling was defaulting back you adjusted this in that module. So they over road auto.

https://www.audizine.com/forum/show...-coding-of-Audi-Drive-Select-default-setting?

I did get excited thinking this was it but it's related I reckon. If you think about it, it's more the electrical behaviour of the switching rather than the components so it's probably adjustable in that module similar to the Audi profile. Like the light on the selection drops back and that's a rotating nudge switch. Take care thou.

aggie

Apr 28, 2009
Many thanks Tell for your research and in-depth instructions into eco mode but I have come to the conclusion that eco mode is not ment to be saved and needs to be reset each time you restart the car. I also asked my Seat Agent who seemed to think that you had to reset it every time so it looks like I have got to put up with it unless something else comes to light.

Tell

Staff member
Mine does stay in Eco mode since I tried it out when this came up but then mine isn't a 2018 model. Saying that I never use Eco too weird when I did try it with the overdrive (said to freewheel in a DSG) and the issue of it messing up passive SCR in a 2.0 TDI.

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
Not got an ateca but when I got my Leon last september I thought this too was an issue. However, if the car is a DSG the gearbox always reverts back to the normal mode according to the manual. The yellow mode button may be lit up however, if the gears are shown as D1,D2,D3 then eco is not on, manually select eco will then show the gears as E1,E2,E3.

Tell

Staff member
What it is was with the 2018 Ateca model they changed this. In my 2016 registered DSG it does stay in Eco after you turn it of. Pretty sure it's not yellow light and the D's but E's.... Will check tomorrow. Never use it thou apart from if I'm stretching the diesel after the fill up light comes on. I find it too weird (no / little engine braking) plus the issue of active / passive regeneration in the 2 litre TDI. Best for passive to be used.

I know there is a group of Ateca owners that like to use the Eco mode. The petrol people don't have the regeneration issue.

I suspect you can roll back to how it use to work by VCDS coding but you'd spend a lot of time looking for it.

Tell

Staff member
Ok ... I tested it out on my shopping run and the pre 2018 ones do remember ECO and the E drive. I thought... ere this is sluggish pulling away from Lidl having forget I'd put it in ECO before I turned the car off (why I have stop start neutralized). So no it doesn't behave like your Leon Scott.

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
Ok ... I tested it out on my shopping run and the pre 2018 ones do remember ECO and the E drive. I thought... ere this is sluggish pulling away from Lidl having forget I'd put it in ECO before I turned the car off (why I have stop start neutralized). So no it doesn't behave like your Leon Scott.
Thats really interesting why they would be different, you would think the DSG would be the exact same between both cars. On a note today I was driving in individual mode which I has the steering set to normal but the engine sport. Had to stop into tesco and on getting back in the car it showed up as being in S1. I will double check this tonight or tomorrow whenever I am back out if the car remembers sports mode, if it does I will definitely try with Eco.

Tell

Staff member
My theory on the change in it remembering ECO is that Seat revisited when bringing in DCC. I reckon it must be VCDS controlled... but you'd need a month of Sundays to locate it. I just concentrate on things I want to do at the minute with the OBDEleven. Reckon if anywhere module 09.

Your individual mode is suppose to remember what you were in - least for the Ateca... although I might have read for 2018... What we can say is for 4Drive snow setting is does reset after turning off whether 2018 or not. Prior to 2018 Ateca remembers Eco mode.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.