Ibiza 1.4tsi ACT GEARBOX OIL???

benstorey97

Apr 8, 2018
Hi Folks, I’m new on this forum.

My 2014 Ibiza FR editition 1.4 shortly after I bought it in December had some gearbox whine when in second gear and 4th. Seat said the noise was within tolerance and to jsut monotor it. My mechanic said I could change the oil and add and additive to help quiet it down. So I did but after that every morning for about 15 minutes or more I could not get the car into second gear and some others were a little stiff. No horrible noises when getting into gear just really stiff until it’s got warmer. So after a few weeks I decided to get the oil flushed out to get rid of the addative to hopefully put the gearbox back to how it was and just it up with a little bit of noise. However after the second oil change and no addative its still not right. Certainly much better but still stiff until the gearbox has had a good drive out. I’m not sure the garage used the right oil. I asked the mechanic at my local garage and he said they used VW recommend oil but it was 75W90, I had read that for my car it’s 75W80??? Can any one help, is 75W90 the wrong oil??? What is the right oil??

Thanks Guys!!

MarkTDI

Feb 19, 2018
East Yorkshire
That does sound as though the oil is too thick.

I cant help with the exact oil unfortunately as my cars are both diesel and the gear boxes will be different.

Look on a few of the oil suppliers websites and see what grade is recommended based on your registration number.

Our Ibiza mk4 TDI gearbox was transformed from noisy and slack to smooth and quiet just by changing the oil, I cant remember which oil though...

benstorey97

Apr 8, 2018
Thanks Mark, from what I can find the recommended oil is 75w80 so I think I will get that put in.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.