Looking to buy either 1.4 or 1.8 FR *sorry

Andy ap

Mar 23, 2010
Antrim
Returning here after a while sorry if this is the wrong place but i currently have a 2008 leon fr TFSI 2.0 and i like it but the time has come to move up to a mk3.

I'm getting really stuck on engine choice though i've heard that the 1.4 in this 2014 model year onwards is pretty good, doesn't burn too much oil (if any if some are to be believed) and generally a pretty solid unit. The 'but' is compered to the 2.0tfsi its lacking a bit in power and the throttle response is a bit laggy but i shouldn't have to keep as much of an eye on the oil level. There is the potential of a remap however.

The 1.8 is tempting as its closer to the current power level but browsing around all i'm seeing is a lot of issues with timing chains and oil consumption and it would be more like my current car constantly nagging about is the oil level ok. I believe the engine is a ea288 code?

So basically in terms of reliability which is generally the better choice. I want the 1.8 really for a bit of poke but i'm worried about the oil and timing issues.

Should i shut up and not worry and take the plunge or play it safe with the 1.4?

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Both engines are good, 1.8 EA888 (EA 288 is derv) has had improvements and the high oil consumption is no longer the issue it once was timing chain issues are no longer the issue they once were. However, this engine is a lower seller these days compared to the 1.4 ACT. EA211 1.4 ACT is also a pretty reliable lump. Trubro/actuators are the weakest link but not that many have failed across the entire VAG range... Very popular and in-demand engine at the moment and without a doubt a good balance of performance and economy. Don't forget though is that if yo go for the 1.8 you also get multilink rear suspension instead of twist beam on the 1.4 150. Personally I would give both a test drive if you can...

Reactions: Andy ap

Andy ap

Mar 23, 2010
Antrim
Thank you for your replies so far. I'd sooner go for the 1.8 if i can be comfortable that those main niggles are negligible.
I've test driven a few 1.4's now and found them to be a real mixed bag in performance. Most of them have had pretty poor throttle response except one which weirdly felt quite good on a country lane with a bit of enthusiastic driving but then lackluster everywhere else...

It might be worth noting that they've all been very low millage dealer approved models only a couple of years old. All less than 20k miles on (closer to sub 15), do they bed in and free up after a bit?

p.eco

Jun 24, 2014
Ireland
I have the 1.8 tsi for 4 years now and no single issue. It is also mapped and the performance is just great. I never had to top up the oil or had any issue with timing chain...

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Thank you for your replies so far. I'd sooner go for the 1.8 if i can be comfortable that those main niggles are negligible.
I've test driven a few 1.4's now and found them to be a real mixed bag in performance. Most of them have had pretty poor throttle response except one which weirdly felt quite good on a country lane with a bit of enthusiastic driving but then lackluster everywhere else...

It might be worth noting that they've all been very low millage dealer approved models only a couple of years old. All less than 20k miles on (closer to sub 15), do they bed in and free up after a bit?

I think you have answered your own question :bounce:

Tardy throttle response is the joy of meeting emission regulations :censored:

You would always wonder - should I have brought a 1.8! 1.8 is the way to go and enjoy...

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
The throttle response differences could be to do with the mode they were in. When I had the 1.4, I tended to find in "sport" mode the throttle response was artificially sensitive, while in "normal" and definitely "eco" it wasn't sensitive enough. I actually wish they just stuck to one mode which was between the two. It was also annoying because the throttle response would always revert to normal mode when you restarted the car, regardless of what it said on the dash.

Andy ap

Mar 23, 2010
Antrim
I think you have answered your own question :bounce:

Tardy throttle response is the joy of meeting emission regulations :censored:

You would always wonder - should I have brought a 1.8! 1.8 is the way to go and enjoy...

Yeah there is that but then i could also be really paranoid and go what if i get that coolant leak thingy, what if the chain tensioner lets go, what if it drinks a bit of oil (of course i'd learn that last one pretty quickly). Briskoda has a whole page with a worrying long list of people who's engine has let go and AFAIK its the same engine in the leon.

Mind you as someone above points out what if the turbo let go in the 1.4. :shrug:

The throttle response differences could be to do with the mode they were in. When I had the 1.4, I tended to find in "sport" mode the throttle response was artificially sensitive, while in "normal" and definitely "eco" it wasn't sensitive enough. I actually wish they just stuck to one mode which was between the two. It was also annoying because the throttle response would always revert to normal mode when you restarted the car, regardless of what it said on the dash.

I have tried using different modes in three of the cars i've test driven but didn't notice any discernible difference except Eco which was very laggy. Unless i've been doing something wrong (new to these gimmicks). I can't believe that a sporty car with a manual box is sold with about a seconds worth of pondering from the accelerator.

So basically i need to try driving it again, make sure its in sport and ensure there's no hesitation?

surrealjam

Jan 8, 2015
I have tried using different modes in three of the cars i've test driven but didn't notice any discernible difference except Eco which was very laggy. Unless i've been doing something wrong (new to these gimmicks). I can't believe that a sporty car with a manual box is sold with about a seconds worth of pondering from the accelerator.

So basically i need to try driving it again, make sure its in sport and ensure there's no hesitation?

Yeah, definitely. I sold my 1.4 almost 2 years ago now... but from memory it was pretty responsive especially in sports mode. Like I say, make sure you manually engage sports mode (even if the car says it's in sports mode)... i.e. press the mode button and re-select "sport". I'm currently in a GTI and obviously it's a lot faster, but I still think the 1.4 is really peppy.

Owen83

Feb 9, 2018
Are you sure that all of the 1.4's your testing are the 150BHP? don't forget there is a 125BHP version also......

Andy ap

Mar 23, 2010
Antrim
Are you sure that all of the 1.4's your testing are the 150BHP? don't forget there is a 125BHP version also......
Yep all have been 150, its only one of them that seemed noticeably more responsive when driving down a country lane, i'm sure i was in sport then too. But back on the dual carriageway its didn't seem to have the same liveliness as a few minutes earlier. Didnt see the ACT thing flash up either.

oldskooldubs

Dec 5, 2017
ive owned my lima green 1.8 FR for around six months and I'm over the moon with it . I test drove the 1.4 but was a little disappointed with the performance ,the one i drove just seemed to lack the grunt of the 1.8.
ive fitted a DTUK box to mine and i gotta say its pretty bloody quick now ,definitely a worth while mod, theres certainly no throttle lag in sport mode
i cant see any real benefit to going for the 1.4 over the 1.8 other than it being slightly cheaper to run .

DANFR180

Feb 8, 2016
I don't think the gen3 1.8 used in the mk3 Leon has any reports of the issues that you are worried about, timing chain and oil consumption issues were certainly earlier variants

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
Slight hijak ...... Ps. Used dtuk for years, not a single issue.

Anyway, I have a 1.8tsi. anyone know if using the box makes the eco, sport and normal mode settings redundent? Just curious

Andy ap

Mar 23, 2010
Antrim
Right trigger pulled. I am now the owner of 1.8 Fr in Black. Although i was surprisingly sad to see my MK2 go.

Reactions: p.eco