APR stage 1 engine and gearbox cupra tune

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
No specific requirements but a cold air intake would be of some benefit but not necessary according to both websites.

What you already have will be fine for stage 1. :)

Deleted member 103408

Not an expert but couple points to remember.

1/ if you are manual you need to consider your clutch, the extra power may cause issues (dsg is happy with extra power).

2/ I was advised to change the oil more frequently.

3/ If you are running stock tires you need to change them they wont keep the power down and you should also look at the various Engine and Torque mount kits to keep the power down again

4/ Stage 1 on the Revo side and guessing same is true on APR does not support performance exhaust system so if you want to do that then go to stage 2.

5/ The stock air intake works fine but if you want the most then get a better intake system and that includes all the pipework to the turbo, there are plenty to choose from and you can get some good second hand deals.

6/ Boring but don't forget to tell your insurance company about the mods.

7/ if you are dsg then dsg map aswell

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jaco2k

cupra_ahhh

Nov 4, 2008
Tonbridge, Kent
Yup, all very important stuff. Point 4 is key from your perspective (Sisqo_uk) too. If you're planning or thinking of going to stage 2 at a later date, don't get any mapping done until you get the hardware in place first.

Also point 6, I know this goes without saying but it's easy to forget to tell your insurers about the mods you're getting done on the car.
It probably won't add much to your premium but if you do get in a scrape that isn't even your fault, and you've not informed your insurance company, they simply won't pay out, plus technicality you'll be driving while not being insured.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Stage 2 only requires downpipe (either sports cat or de-cat) all the other stuff are supporting mods really, but I'd never run a Stage 2 tune without cold air intake, you have some good mods already such as the racingline turbo intake pipe, just add a decent intake now rather than panel filter.

you can tun an aftermarket downpipe with stock cat-back, it won't sound great but it flows enough for stage 2.

When my car was the REVO development car back in 2014, it ran like a dog with turbo back system and Stage 1 tune, so you 100% need the stage 2 tune with a turbo back system.

Deleted member 103408

Just to add to that i spoke with Revo last week about putting on a downpipe before I went to stage two and the response was

If replacing the downpipe, you’ll need to have Stage 2 software to deal with the lambda changes, which means adding the FMIC at same point, otherwise you’ll be asking for issues with overboost and other problems.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
my revo tune used to have a right flat spot/hiccup, APR one doesn't have it as bad but its still there a little.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Hi,
If anyone ever needs any help with insurance for modifications then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017
No specific requirements but a cold air intake would be of some benefit but not necessary according to both websites.

What you already have will be fine for stage 1. :)
Why do I have to upgrade the box with the air filter in the, I thought panel filters where for performance and cone filters are for noise. The R600 Intake system looks nearly the same as standard apart from shape but standard still takes all air from front grille and passes it into the air box, at least it looks like that.

NotApplicable

Newbie....at my age?????
Mar 26, 2016
Somerset
I think I might just go for stage 1 for now, do you know if there are any requirements for stage 1?
Nothing is 'required', just a visit to your favourite tuner, a small wait while you have coffee and then... it is required you go for a blast to test it out!

When I went in to get stage 1, I also put an R600 airbox in and came out with 360bhp (originally a Cupra 280).

However, it soon became clear that I would need a better clutch as mine is a manual box.

Deleted member 103408

Why do I have to upgrade the box with the air filter in the, I thought panel filters where for performance and cone filters are for noise. The R600 Intake system looks nearly the same as standard apart from shape but standard still takes all air from front grille and passes it into the air box, at least it looks like that.

For stage 1 you don't have to upgrade the box, The R600 is the best box for these cars based on the experts on this and other vw sites.

It has been designed to look stock because a lot of people like to keep engine clean and stock.

You are replacing the box and the front intake section that runs across the front of the car, on the 280 only the left hand side of that section let in air but the R600 does both sides so more air (i had modified mine to open up right hand side), It is also a much bigger air box so more air flow and according to the blurb it keeps it cooler thus improving the performance.

For stage 2

Required hardware upgrades:

Turbo Back Exhaust Cold Air Intake System Uprated FMIC

Recommended upgrades: Upgraded brake kit Uprated clutch on manual vehicles

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017
Nothing is 'required', just a visit to your favourite tuner, a small wait while you have coffee and then... it is required you go for a blast to test it out!

When I went in to get stage 1, I also put an R600 airbox in and came out with 360bhp (originally a Cupra 280).

However, it soon became clear that I would need a better clutch as mine is a manual box.
I want to put the R600 on but my windscreen washer tank is on the right hand side of the bonnet and everyone I've seen with the R600 on a 290 has there windscreen washer tank on the left hand side of the bonnet so I'm not sure if it will fit.

Charliessmith

Jun 16, 2017
For stage 1 you don't have to upgrade the box, The R600 is the best box for these cars based on the experts on this and other vw sites.

It has been designed to look stock because a lot of people like to keep engine clean and stock.

You are replacing the box and the front intake section that runs across the front of the car, on the 280 only the left hand side of that section let in air but the R600 does both sides so more air (i had modified mine to open up right hand side), It is also a much bigger air box so more air flow and according to the blurb it keeps it cooler thus improving the performance.

For stage 2

Required hardware upgrades:

Turbo Back Exhaust Cold Air Intake System Uprated FMIC

Recommended upgrades: Upgraded brake kit Uprated clutch on manual vehicles
Do you know if the 290 has its air from both sides rather than just one side like the 280 because I have a 290. Is a fmic a intercooler?

Deleted member 103408

Don't know about the 290 but it you remove the top of the cover you can see for yourself if its open or closed.

FMIC, yes that's the intercooler (Front Mount Intercooler)

Deleted member 103408

Just undo the screws at each end of the front bit

[url=https://ibb.co/juMnpH] [/URL]
temp.png
juMnpH

Last edited by a moderator:

Sisqo_uk

Nov 9, 2017
Hi,
If anyone ever needs any help with insurance for modifications then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

I know that there are plenty of variables with insurance like where you live, how long you been driving. No claims etc. But which are the insurers that don’t over inflate the price. I quoted some prices on just Leon 1.4 with a stage 1 and they was insane. Like 2-3x the price. Yet I’m hearing some people only getting like as low as £80 more from a remap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
I know that there are plenty of variables with insurance like where you live, how long you been driving. No claims etc. But which are the insurers that don’t over inflate the price. I quoted some prices on just Leon 1.4 with a stage 1 and they was insane. Like 2-3x the price. Yet I’m hearing some people only getting like as low as £80 more from a remap.

Hi.
Where you get these massive increases are where clients have had a an extremely competitive premium with a standard insurer on a standard vehicle and then that insurer won't offer terms for a re-map. Generally on the modified car schemes the loading for re-map are generally what the BHP % increase is. I.e 10% increase in BHP = 10% increase in premium.
Regards,
Dan.

Deleted member 103408

In my experience insurance is about risk and market share.....

Risk is your experience, where you live, Car Profile etc
Market share, I was with tesco insurance for 6/7 years and every year i would go back and say I can get it cheaper and they would reduce the cost. Suddenly they stopped and did not want any more business.

I see this a lot when everybody says xxx is the best and then the next year its another company.

Sisqo_uk

Nov 9, 2017
Hi.
Where you get these massive increases are where clients have had a an extremely competitive premium with a standard insurer on a standard vehicle and then that insurer won't offer terms for a re-map. Generally on the modified car schemes the loading for re-map are generally what the BHP % increase is. I.e 10% increase in BHP = 10% increase in premium.
Regards,
Dan.

Ok that’s pretty helpful. I’ll consider that. I got to renew in September so I’ll see how that works out.
Thanks

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.