Cloned numberplate

Rob McCool

Sep 15, 2009
Birkenhead
Just a heads up for other forum members,I received a speeding ticket from Police Scotland in early March saying my car had been photographed speeding(87mph) on the A90 near Drumlithie .
I`ve never been there in my life and thinking it was a scam I ignored it..A month later I received a second letter saying the required information was required(who was driving etc..) immediately .I went to my local Police station who advised me to contact Police Scotland via email.I did this asking for the photographic proof.-I received two very dark,blurry pictures showing a car very similar to mine but upon closer examination ,clearly visible are five letters on the rear tailgate and a rectangular shaped badge which to me makes it a leon cupra(my car is a leon FR 184 ).They also sent a close up picture of the car`s number plate which is the same as mine which I can`t explain other than someone has copied my number plate-the person dealing with it said in view of all this it`s being handed over to a Police Officer to deal with..
I`ve changed my forum avatar as that`s the only thing I can think of that showed my cars number plate(stupid and my own fault,I know!).
So I`m waiting to hear back from Police Scotland, hopefully the officer dealing with it will know the difference between a leon cupra and fr 184!I`d also like to say to other forum members don`t put any pictures on line with your number plate on.:cry:

Reactions: kanyewest

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
We have had this issue on motorbikes for years.
Has been common practice to never post pics of your bike/car showing the numberplate.

@Rob McCool - Was your car by any chance advertised on Autotrader or a dealers website ?
They are two more favorite places for the clowns to get numbers that match cars.

Rob McCool

Sep 15, 2009
Birkenhead
We have had this issue on motorbikes for years.
Has been common practice to never post pics of your bike/car showing the numberplate.

@Rob McCool - Was your car by any chance advertised on Autotrader or a dealers website ?
They are two more favorite places for the clowns to get numbers that match cars.
My own fault,I should have known better.I`ve had my car for 3 years which I bought from a Seat dealer in Swansea,as far as I can remember the number plate was`nt visible on any pictures or the video of the car they sent me..

Rob McCool

Sep 15, 2009
Birkenhead
Sucks to hear.
I'm guessing the offending car is the same colour as yours and same number of doors?

Only other thing to prove it wasn't you is by saying you weren't in the area at the time.
If you've got an android phone, try google timeline
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/timeline
The car looks similar to mine although anyone with any knowledge of leons would agree it`s a cupra I believe where as mine is a FR184.. I did`nt know about google time line so this is invaluable as it shows I was`nt in Scotland on the day in question-thanks for the information!:cheers:

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
I've always hidden my plate when posting pics online.
Sometimes this has provoked snidey comments. This post is the reason why.

OP - I assume no other distinguishing features were visible? Dealer stickers, exhaust tail pipes, mud flaps, etc ?

Makes you think what somebody is up to with a Cupra on cloned plates...

Rob McCool

Sep 15, 2009
Birkenhead
I've always hidden my plate when posting pics online.
Sometimes this has provoked snidey comments. This post is the reason why.

OP - I assume no other distinguishing features were visible? Dealer stickers, exhaust tail pipes, mud flaps, etc ?

Makes you think what somebody is up to with a Cupra on cloned plates...
The pictures they sent are quite blurred and were taken at night so the exhaust is`nt visible unfortunately,another thing I believe in my favour is it looks like the car in the pictures has a black or tinted glass roof which mine has`nt-I`d post the pictures they sent on the forum but I`m not sure how to erase the number plate details.

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
The pictures they sent are quite blurred and were taken at night so the exhaust is`nt visible unfortunately,another thing I believe in my favour is it looks like the car in the pictures has a black or tinted glass roof which mine has`nt-I`d post the pictures they sent on the forum but I`m not sure how to erase the number plate details.
You can always open the picture in paint. Then paint the number plate over so we cant see it. I hope you get this resolved and im pretty sure the police would have to 100% be able to say it was your car. I'm guessing you didn't go to a petrol station or any shops on the date and time of the offence? Possible CCTV footage or receipts could show you weren't in Scotland.

Rob McCool

Sep 15, 2009
Birkenhead
Here's the pictures the police sent
08a31be58aad435f2ac80052288be117.jpg

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Rob McCool

Sep 15, 2009
Birkenhead
I've just had an email from a police officer agreeing that the car pictured appears to be a leon cupra and the matter is now closed,although he has advised me to inform the dvla that my number plate has been cloned..

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Yeh looks like a Cupra although I can't make out the tailpipes on it.

MIght be worth joining the Scotland Cupra ground on Facebook see if they know who's car it is.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.