Attention anyone due to collect new car!!

Tim A

Apr 20, 2018
Thanks for the info Tim,

I am also a Briskodian due to owning a couple of Octavia VRS's in the past and still occasionally visit due to my wife having a cracking little 1.2TSI Fabia SEL. You also have a good taste in dog breeds if the GSD in your avatar is yours.

No its not my dog sadly, its a pic off the internet.

I have a black cat called barney.....................
IMG_7807.JPG

Tim A

Apr 20, 2018
I am sure Josh means well, but I have a horrible feeling he is mistaken.

The fix is the same for all VAG models - removal of the mobile 'phone signal amplifier unit - and there is no "temporary solution".

Well if other manufactures can do it successfully, them I'm sure Skoda and Seat can.

I'm sure a replacement unit will be available soon.

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
I'm sure a replacement unit will be available soon.
SEAT have already completely removed any reference to it from their website/price lists etc, and all cars built from cw19 onwards will not have it fitted.

Quite extreme actions if a replacement will be available soon...

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
I am sure Josh means well, but I have a horrible feeling he is mistaken.

The fix is the same for all VAG models - removal of the mobile 'phone signal amplifier unit - and there is no "temporary solution".

Could you, at some point, kindly, with sugar on top, share the instructions/details/photos on how to disable/remove this?

Even if only UK, I gather that box is putting out too strong signals and I would rather disable it myself also.

...if it is possible to keep the wireless charging working, as it seems to be the case.

I gather it is just a matter of removing said connectivity box and then unplugging some unit behind it.

Tim A

Apr 20, 2018
SEAT have already completely removed any reference to it from their website/price lists etc, and all cars built from cw19 onwards will not have it fitted.

Quite extreme actions if a replacement will be available soon...

Preventative measures??

This is, after all, as a result of technical and regulatory issues which CAN be overcome.

I see NO reason why these measures can't be reversed at a later date once they have overcome the original obstacles.

weasley

May 19, 2017
South Oxfordshire
Hmmm..... if I had one I might not let them touch it. It’s like the VW diesel thing... millions of cars sent out in an illegal state but nothing forced them to be recalled or updated. I refused the update on my Yeti.

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
Could you, at some point, kindly, with sugar on top, share the instructions/details/photos on how to disable/remove this?

Even if only UK, I gather that box is putting out too strong signals and I would rather disable it myself also.

...if it is possible to keep the wireless charging working, as it seems to be the case.

I gather it is just a matter of removing said connectivity box and then unplugging some unit behind it.
No can do, sorry.

I'm happy to share information, but I'm not putting my job at risk just so forum members I have never met can do their own thing.

If people that already have cars that are affected choose not to respond to the recall/service action (or whatever it will be called) and not allow SEAT to remove the unit that is up to them...

As I have already posted, wireless charging (along with all other linked/connected features/functions) is unaffected.

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
No can do, sorry.

I'm happy to share information, but I'm not putting my job at risk just so forum members I have never met can do their own thing.

If people that already have cars that are affected choose not to respond to the recall/service action (or whatever it will be called) and not allow SEAT to remove the unit that is up to them...

As I have already posted, wireless charging (along with all other linked/connected features/functions) is unaffected.

I am in Finland... But never mind. :)
It would have been enough for you to say "no."

jammer

Feb 20, 2018
No can do, sorry.

Cheers for your updates and keeping us in the loop... it’s much appreciated bud ...

MrSingh

Mar 14, 2018
Hello,
I just picked up my Leon FR last night, it’s not brand new but a September 2017 model. Has the wireless charging pad under the climate control and the keyless entry. Dealer didn’t mention anything about a recall... but maybe my car isn’t one of the ones affected? :think:

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Then why do you want to remove/disable your signal booster? This is a UK-specific issue :confused:

I am strongly suspecting that the signal booster is putting out too much radiation and it just happens to be that the UK has stricter limits.
Just because it is not over the limit, it doesn't mean the values won't be high in the Finnish cars either - I just don't want to drive around with radiation inside the car.

There's nothing more to it :)
...I understand you cannot share the instructions and I hope you now also understand why I asked them.

Cheers!

weasley

May 19, 2017
South Oxfordshire
I just don't want to drive around with radiation inside the car.

Better stay out of the car then. And your house. In fact, you’ll need to leave the planet altogether and go somewhere in deep space. There are myriad electromagnetic radiation sources around you all the time: your phone, WiFi, Bluetooth, TV, radio, DAB, electrically-induced noise, radar... not to mention natural sources such as the Sun, the Earth and so on.

I’m guessing that either the power of the signal is above a threshold or that the frequency is within a reserved range. This could mean it will interfere with some other systems, or it may all just be academic. I’d want to see compelling evidence of the issue before letting anybody disable features in a car that I own that I bought in good faith as being type-approved. Just like the dieselgate thing, I asked for technical info, was told I would get some, never got any, so refused the update. And then many stories appeared of post-updated cars having problems, as I feared they would.

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Better stay out of the car then. And your house. In fact, you’ll need to leave the planet altogether and go somewhere in deep space. There are myriad electromagnetic radiation sources around you all the time: your phone, WiFi, Bluetooth, TV, radio, DAB, electrically-induced noise, radar... not to mention natural sources such as the Sun, the Earth and so on.

I’m guessing that either the power of the signal is above a threshold or that the frequency is within a reserved range. This could mean it will interfere with some other systems, or it may all just be academic. I’d want to see compelling evidence of the issue before letting anybody disable features in a car that I own that I bought in good faith as being type-approved. Just like the dieselgate thing, I asked for technical info, was told I would get some, never got any, so refused the update. And then many stories appeared of post-updated cars having problems, as I feared they would.

Thanks for your post - I know a thing or two about radiation also, after working for 10 years on Nokia phones.
Related or not, 2 of my colleagues developed testicular cancer - I cannot, for several reasons, correlate or allege Nokia was responsible (but I have my own opinions...)
I would also suggest you look into SAR radiation limits and the many studies that recommend children do not use mobile phones and the effects of mobile phone radiation on a molecular level.
Sure there are many different types of radiation in nature and some we don't need to care about - in what concerns mobile phone magnectic microwave radiation, tendency is for the effects to be nocive.
Either way, if you want to keep the box, you are within your rights and no one should tell you off for it, but I would appreciate you also respect me if I choose to get rid of it.

Reactions: Walone

Derv4194

Nov 25, 2017
My car is now with the service department to have the 'fix' undertaken. Dealer has said that once this has been completed they then need to apply for the block to be lifted so they can release the car to me, which can take up to 48 hrs. So as service department is now closed its looking like maybe mid - back end of next week till i get it.

Anyone else in a similar position?

Josh1989

Sep 18, 2016
Thanks for your post - I know a thing or two about radiation also, after working for 10 years on Nokia phones.
Related or not, 2 of my colleagues developed testicular cancer - I cannot, for several reasons, correlate or allege Nokia was responsible (but I have my own opinions...)
I would also suggest you look into SAR radiation limits and the many studies that recommend children do not use mobile phones and the effects of mobile phone radiation on a molecular level.
Sure there are many different types of radiation in nature and some we don't need to care about - in what concerns mobile phone magnectic microwave radiation, tendency is for the effects to be nocive.
Either way, if you want to keep the box, you are within your rights and no one should tell you off for it, but I would appreciate you also respect me if I choose to get rid of it.

I normally lurk on these forums however I feel that I must correct you and your 'personal' and not scientifically proven view.
We've been using mobile phones for around 3 decades give or take and the evidence is pretty conclusive that there are no effects.
I put it to you that most of us have mobile phones, have done for many years have never had any issues as a prime example but also I'll link to an aged article that will explain better than I could: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7229003.stm
Also if you know a lot about radiation you would know that mobile phones emit non-ionising radiation and therefore cannot mutate DNA
In short your 'opinion is unfounded and scaremongering for effect

Reactions: weasley

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
How did we end up here? :stars: Hope the issue gets sorted and you lot waiting to get your leons get them soon, I've loved mine ever since getting it back in September last year!

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
I normally lurk on these forums however I feel that I must correct you and your 'personal' and not scientifically proven view.
We've been using mobile phones for around 3 decades give or take and the evidence is pretty conclusive that there are no effects.
I put it to you that most of us have mobile phones, have done for many years have never had any issues as a prime example but also I'll link to an aged article that will explain better than I could: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7229003.stm
Also if you know a lot about radiation you would know that mobile phones emit non-ionising radiation and therefore cannot mutate DNA
In short your 'opinion is unfounded and scaremongering for effect

Sure, but I still want to drop that amplifier given the chance.

Again, for any article you can pull that says there is nothing to fear, there is an article that says there is - depends on who is paying for the study or for the article to be published.

Cheers - this is a car forum, after all :)

mangler07

May 30, 2015
Personally, I'm not bothered in the slightest about this and I have the wireless charging.

I won't be in any rush to get the car into seat to have the "fix" carried out (simply because nothing suggests yet it's safety or health affecting) butwill do it because it's clearly an issue and I don't want to cause any issues for my local dealer, it's only a small family run seat dealer.

As long as the wireless charging is unaffected which has been confirmed, I really couldn't care less, not gonna notice any difference by the sounds of things.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Josh1989

Sep 18, 2016
Sure, but I still want to drop that amplifier given the chance.

Again, for any article you can pull that says there is nothing to fear, there is an article that says there is - depends on who is paying for the study or for the article to be published.

Cheers - this is a car forum, after all :)
Well no this is peer reviewed, also the fact that you actually state that you're friends cases maybe unrelated suggest your doubt. The science is proven the issues they have is we have only 30 years of data so they can only go on that data however if you read the article it actually points that since the 90's the cases have not increased this was based on a case size of over 50000 people. Put it this way i will trust a peer reviewed study over you knowing a thing or 2 about radiation clearly making the error that phones do not emit a type of radiation harmful to cells or DNA. Do you believe the earth is flat aswell?