Bye bye Leon :(

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
Posting this somewhat after the event, about 4 weeks actually, but the Leon has gone.
It’s been a great car. Fun, practical, economical, reliable, comfortable, and quite quick for a diesel (Bluefin remap).
To move it on was a decision made mainly from the heart, with my head screaming “don’t do it!” I’ll miss it a lot.
Despite doing 25-30k miles every year I was looking at either a Cupra or a BMW M135/140.
The BM won I’m afraid.
Now I know there will be some on here who will champion the Cupra as the better car but my reasoning is as follows: The BMW is the only 3L 6 cylinder hatch available. Everything else is a 2L 4 pot. Everything else is either FWD or AWD.
I spent years rallying RWD cars back in the 80’s and the ‘sideways thing’ has never left me. The BM is very subtle and doesn’t stand out like some hatches which is what I wanted.
In the end I got an M135i LCI as it was the only one in the country that met the spec I was after. I had to travel 300 miles to get it!
As a bonus I got 46mpg on the drive home, albeit a very steady drive!
I absolutely love the car.
I do have some Leon ST 184 FR Auto bits that I need to move on if anyone is interested:
Heko wind deflectors
TDI tuning box (2 channel)
DTUK tuning box (2 channel)
Boot floor cover
OBD eleven dongle
I live in North Somerset area, PM me if anyone is interested in anything.
So it’s goodbye from me to the great bunch of folk who make up this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: LouG

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
I sold my Leon Fr 184 last November as I was so moving on to a BM. I’ve now had my m140 shadow edition since the 1st of March and love it! It is bloody rapid! And in the warm weather the tyres grip so well

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
I did notice you on the BM forum!
Just great cars aren’t they. So useable everyday, but with a dark side when you want it!
Any mods planned?

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
Yeah, I’ll probably be getting the maxton spitter and side skirts.
The underbody brace
Lowered on Motch Eibach springs
12 & 15mm spacers
And maybe more but not for a while yet as doing the house up has taken 1st place. How about you?

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
Probably the under body brace, and really trying not to go down the JB4 route, but it’s so hard not to keep thinking about it!
I’ve got the adaptive suspension so I’ll leave that alone for a while.
Maybe some less grippy tyres! The MPSS’s just stick like the proverbial in this hot weather.

Ckpearce91

Feb 20, 2013
Milton Keynes
I too have adaptive suspension. I just feel like the arch gap needs to be closed a bit. I thought I’d get the back end out a bit last night but nope, the tyres just wouldn’t let me. Either that or I was doing something wrong

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
I know what you mean about the arch gap, but some of the roads I use are so bad I think I’d regret lowering it.
My back end is also firmly planted! I think you need to go into real hooligan mode to get it to wiggle
Maybe we shouldn’t be talking BM’s on the SEAT forum...

Reactions: Ckpearce91

JimH

Cupra 300 ST DSG 4Drive
May 23, 2015
Norwich, UK
Not so much thread drift as forum drift! :cheeky: Take care in the winter, guys..... #beentheredonethat

Andy665

Dec 1, 2017
I' m 3 weeks away from switching from an M135i to an ST 4Drive. BMW was great fun but handling is awful, it's overseeing and understand. The traction is a joke, despite being on Michelin Super Sports - it started off as fun, 2 years later it' just plain frustrating.

Enjoyed it but not enough to want another

Glarh

Apr 6, 2016
Hi mate. How much you want for the hekos drop me a DM if possible.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
I' m 3 weeks away from switching from an M135i to an ST 4Drive. BMW was great fun but handling is awful, it's overseeing and understand. The traction is a joke, despite being on Michelin Super Sports - it started off as fun, 2 years later it' just plain frustrating.

Enjoyed it but not enough to want another

I seriously thought about the Cupra 4 drive. Really is the best of both worlds. I bet you’ll love it! What put me off was a) asked my dealer about getting a test drive in one and he laughed at me and said no chance. That put me right off.
b) 6 cylinder RWD cars will soon be a thing of the past. It will be 3 cylinder hybrids with AWD. I’m sure they’ll be good but I just wanted to go back to RWD and live life at 45 degrees to everyone else!
Enjoy your new car when you get it, it will many smiles on your face, especially when you think of me in the winter!

liamleon

FRRR
Apr 26, 2017
I seriously thought about the Cupra 4 drive. Really is the best of both worlds. I bet you’ll love it! What put me off was a) asked my dealer about getting a test drive in one and he laughed at me and said no chance. That put me right off.
b) 6 cylinder RWD cars will soon be a thing of the past. It will be 3 cylinder hybrids with AWD. I’m sure they’ll be good but I just wanted to go back to RWD and live life at 45 degrees to everyone else!
Enjoy your new car when you get it, it will many smiles on your face, especially when you think of me in the winter!

fair play there, enjoy the bm fab car and of course the end of a era in terms of the 6 pot which is a monster, PS this doesn' need a sound actuator to make it sound right unlike anything 2.0 vag.
bye for now

Reactions: MyLeon

MyLeon

Jun 3, 2015
fair play there, enjoy the bm fab car and of course the end of a era in terms of the 6 pot which is a monster, PS this doesn' need a sound actuator to make it sound right unlike anything 2.0 vag.
bye for now

It does sound good, windows down at every opportunity! Lol

Paul1979

Mar 30, 2018

That's weird because I managed to get out for a test drive in the 4drive and the standard fwd manual one.

Had no trouble at all with the dealer.

The 4drive won hands down easily.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.