Bodywork corrosion-advice please

Jase

Dec 3, 2017
Hi, I have a 2008 MK5 had car since Dec,noticed small bubbles of rust coming through on sill paintwork where both front wings meet either sill. If you open either front door (where hinges are located at bottom you have the foam insert that should protect against dirt and moisture, Also there is like a small plate with 2 hex bolts that are bolted onto the sill. Does anyone know if these can easily be unscrewed?,and what purpose does it have?.

It could be that this area was never cleaned from dirt/moisture and the corrosion has started from this area. Also it seems that when the weather is wet this area is seldom dry(design fault?). I am having these resprayed again,the first attempt resulted in paint flaking off of sill. I have over the last couple of weeks cleaned out mud and gunk that had collected inside the sill around where the bolt threads are located,I have also sprayed a load of maintenance/moisture dispersant spray inside sill and bolt threads. I feel that this plate needs to be removed and paintwork looked at and resprayed here also, as if there is corrosion present here then it will affect any new re-spray?

I am hoping that someone has had this problem and can advise a solution?, I have purchased some front mudflaps from seat specific to my model in the hope that these will go some way to protect this area.

I hope people understand what I am referring to.

Thanks

Jason

Big Vinny

Oct 14, 2012
If you remove the front wheel arch liners you will almost certainly find the space behind them on the door sides is full of soggy leaves and mud. This is very close to the black polystyrene blocks at the base of the front wings you describe.

I have hosed these spaces out and Hammerite/Waxoiled them on my 2014 Ibiza. It only takes 3 years for the cavities behind the wheel arch liners to become completely full of crud. I'm not surprised that corrosion could take hold at these points. I thing the leaves come down from the window scuttle area and water drains.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk