New clutch / DM Flywheel / Gearbox

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
Recently had a new clutch and flywheel fitted and while it was in the garage the mechanic called me to say he'd noticed a large amount of metal flakes in the gearbox oil. Said I'd have to take the chance with it as didn't have enough cash to have that looked at too (and besides the gear change had been good before the car broke down). I've had the car back for over a week now and the clutch peddle action is so much better, but I'm having occasional issues when selecting 1st gear. 1 in 10 times it'll feel like theres something stopping it, or there'll be a notchy feeling when it goes in and other times it feels like it pops into gear with no resistance at all! Al the other gears feel ok, with 3rd maybe feeling notchy occasionally.

Is this just a case of having to wait for the new clutch and flywheel to bed in or do you think it's a gearbox problem?

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Recently had a new clutch and flywheel fitted and while it was in the garage the mechanic called me to say he'd noticed a large amount of metal flakes in the gearbox oil. Said I'd have to take the chance with it as didn't have enough cash to have that looked at too (and besides the gear change had been good before the car broke down). I've had the car back for over a week now and the clutch peddle action is so much better, but I'm having occasional issues when selecting 1st gear. 1 in 10 times it'll feel like theres something stopping it, or there'll be a notchy feeling when it goes in and other times it feels like it pops into gear with no resistance at all! Al the other gears feel ok, with 3rd maybe feeling notchy occasionally.

Is this just a case of having to wait for the new clutch and flywheel to bed in or do you think it's a gearbox problem?
Take it easy and save now mate. Your mechanical man seems to be spot on as "Bits" in the oil is a big hint something has or is about to go wrong. Can he open the box himself and fix it? Maybe source a good low mileage one and put that in would be a cheaper option.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zardoz

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
Cheers Andrew. He said they have a guy they use for anything gearbox related rather than do the work themselves.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Cheers Andrew. He said they have a guy they use for anything gearbox related rather than do the work themselves.
Sounds about right tbh. Most won't want the hassle of getting it wrong. See what price he can get it done for a look about for a cheap low mileage box as well.

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
The garage where pretty honest about the charges as they originally told me £849. When I went to pay they said their supplier had over estimated the parts. Also shown me the old clutch and flywheel they'd removed.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
£766 for the new clutch & dual mass flywheel and 5 hours labour. Gearbox had new oil too.
That's not a bad price. What's the name and location of this garage for other user's to find and use. I guess it was stock OEM parts fitted.

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
Yeah I did some quick maths by looking at part prices on line and it was actually cheaper than I could see anywhere for the parts.

They where LUK parts, come with 12months warranty.

Garage was just the closest I could get towed to in my home town, I knew my friend used them though:
Fleetwood Tyre & Auto Centre Ltd, Dock Street.

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
Hmm... last night's drive home and this morning's drive to work was much better, got into first each time. However I did notice when I accelerated in 2nd the gear stick would wobble...

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
Broke down again last night. Been having problems getting into first then every change felt notchy. Felt a thunk when half way home and it wouldn’t go into gear, also was pulling forward in neutral! Back at garage this morning after getting it towed there last night. Seems like it’s the slave cylinder from what I’ve read, could that explain the metal flakes they saw in the gear box oil?

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
2nd hand gearbox being sourced by my local VAG group garage. This car has cost me a fortune lately, hope I can get a good few more years out of her.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
2nd hand gearbox being sourced by my local VAG group garage. This car has cost me a fortune lately, hope I can get a good few more years out of her.
Slave cylinder was wishful thinking mate. Box won't be too much and hopefully your mechanical man does you a deal as you go there often.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
I'm an optimist! Well, I was :D
Stay positive mate. Bout all we can do. I worry all the time about my car, think about getting rid at least once every week, but then I think nar...I'm gonna see it out and be there when it does go pop. Now I doubt I'll see the auq go pop as I'm replacing it soon. Trying though, staying positive about it

Zardoz

Sep 6, 2016
North West
Cheers mate, she's been a good car to me so far so I'll treat her right. All in all it's been a cheap car really, just bad timing that this is happening just as were getting our loft converted so cash is tight.

There's actually nothing out there that I'd want to replace it with anyway. Determined to get at least 200k out of her.

Reactions: Andrewwright

BadBoy03

A Mk1 Is For Life, Not Just For Fun
Sep 6, 2016
Somerset
Cheers mate, she's been a good car to me so far so I'll treat her right. All in all it's been a cheap car really, just bad timing that this is happening just as were getting our loft converted so cash is tight.

There's actually nothing out there that I'd want to replace it with anyway. Determined to get at least 200k out of her.

That's the spirit! I look at other cars & like you, I just don't want anything else. It will go bang one day, but I'm happy to push on & then get another one (this is my second already). I love driving it everyday but it's far from perfect & it bugs me, but it would cost ££££'s & so we bumble on at 120mph on the open road. Not bad for an 'old banger' :)

Reactions: Andrewwright