CUPRA Ibiza, will they won't they, would you?

What are your thoughts on the CUPRA Ibiza design concept?

• Where do I sign - I want one now!

• I think it's great, but I'm not in the market for one

• I'm potentially interested but it would depend on price, specs etc

• I'd need some convincing

• Nah, not for me

Results are only viewable after voting.

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
The CUPRA Ibiza concept was revealed at the CUPRA launch, with no firm plans to make the car at this stage.

Pictures below - what do you think - anything you'd like to see changed? Poll to vote included.

CUPRA ibiza 1.jpg
CUPRA ibiza 2.jpg
CUPRA ibiza 3.jpg
CUPRA ibiza 4.jpg
CUPRA ibiza 5.jpg
CUPRA ibiza 6.jpg
CUPRA ibiza 7.jpg
CUPRA ibiza Interior.jpg
CUPRA_Ibiza002_HQ.jpg
CUPRA_Ibiza003_HQ.jpg

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
One sided exhaust pipes. I’ve seen the new FR’s with dual ones... they might be fake but they look better than that.

I actually wish they would find a signature look, like Audi S or RS models. Make all Cupra’s with dual or Quad exhausts. Personally I prefer the dual ones like current Leon’s but appreciate that this makes it trickier to make it sound as good due to lack of valve options (I think)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Damo H

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
One sided exhaust pipes. I’ve seen the new FR’s with dual ones... they might be fake but they look better than that.

I actually wish they would find a signature look, like Audi S or RS models. Make all Cupra’s with dual or Quad exhausts. Personally I prefer the dual ones like current Leon’s but appreciate that this makes it trickier to make it sound as good due to lack of valve options (I think)

The Ateca CUPRA and CUPRA R have quad exhausts, a first for SEAT (which I'm pleased about). I wonder if they think the Ibiza is too small for it, or didn't get a chance to set it up on the design concept.

Scott

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
The Ateca CUPRA and CUPRA R have quad exhausts, a first for SEAT (which I'm pleased about). I wonder if they think the Ibiza is too small for it, or didn't get a chance to set it up on the design concept.

Scott

Leon Cupra R has dual circular pipes? Or are you talking about the ST? Not sure about that one.

If you ever see an Audi RSQ3 with the single oval exhaust it just looks a bit rubbish. I will admit I have a slight ocd about cars looking symmetrical... the Peugeot RCZ kills me

Reactions: Damo H

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Leon Cupra R has dual circular pipes? Or are you talking about the ST? Not sure about that one.

If you ever see an Audi RSQ3 with the single oval exhaust it just looks a bit rubbish. I will admit I have a slight ocd about cars looking symmetrical... the Peugeot RCZ kills me

Yes the ST R.

Scott

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield

Scott
I agree that the exhaust setup could be improved.
I'm guessing that the Audi S1 is a similar size and I'm sure that has quad exhausts.

I would like the side profile on the CUPRA range to be improved by having an better side skirt design as standard. Give it a better overall stance.

It would also be nice to see the return of the hidden rear door handles again from the MK2 Leon range.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
Unlikely to happen again. SEAT said the hidden handles lost them sales as quite a few customers didn't realise the MK2 was a five-door.

Scott
Oh ok, fair enough. I myself had a few laughs when people tried to get into the back seat via the front after searching for the rear door handle :)

It's a shame though especially as they're not making 3 doors anymore.

One day they could potentially make them sit flush like on the Tesla. Then we'd have the option to have the rear body coloured for those who want the 3 door look.

Anyway cheers Scott

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

eye121

Apr 16, 2018
Should a car with a small four cylinder engine really have four exhausts? Originally exhausts took gases from each bank of a large engine but exhaust pipes seem to have multiplied recently. Shouldn't there be a rule about power for each pipe? Tongue in cheek I know but when my 620bhp Skyline needs only one large pipe why does a small hatch need four?

Symmetry? Put the one in the middle!

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
Should a car with a small four cylinder engine really have four exhausts? Originally exhausts took gases from each bank of a large engine but exhaust pipes seem to have multiplied recently. Shouldn't there be a rule about power for each pipe? Tongue in cheek I know but when my 620bhp Skyline needs only one large pipe why does a small hatch need four?

Symmetry? Put the one in the middle!

Style over function, nothing /very little to with the engine/power. Looks sell.

If 2 identical cars were next to each one, but one had 1 fat enhaust and the other has twin like the pic of like the Leon Cupra, the twin will sell first.

Personally, I hate the look of a 1 large exhaust tip like those you see on Subaru's. Personally I don't think they look good on any car.

Reactions: ElCoasa

eye121

Apr 16, 2018
But you get my drift - when a small car like an S1 or a Golf R has four pipes what will Ferrari have to do? Eight?

I know it's all about looks and probably always has been but it's getting a little out of control don't you think?

I'm just old-fashioned I suppose

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
I get what you mean.

Some Ferraris have 3 pipes in the middle, another has 4 and to me, they look stupid.

For the these sorts of cars though, they suit twin pipe whether one at each side like golf or like the one in the original pics above.

People who buy fast hatches want them to look look fast too.

eye121

Apr 16, 2018
Yes, but why do they look fast? Because in the sixties fast cars had two or four pipes so they became associated with fast cars. Much like the headlight arms race where they just seem to get brighter we need more exhaust pipes to be impressed. Maybe the next Bugatti will have a continuous pipe all along its width or maybe they'll just be forgotten when we all drive electric before the robots take over the driving.

Woodsie23

Jun 13, 2018
I for one really like this car and depending on price and equipment, would 100% consider it I also don’t mind the twin Exhaust. Granted I do think it’s a step backwards from the central Exhaust on the MK5 & 6 as I believe that gave the car a real presence and looked sexy as hell. You could tell it was a CUPRA a mile away. But I imagine as the new Polo GTI has the twins as well, it could be simply down to money saving.

Alfski

Mar 18, 2018
Herts/Essex Border
I must say that I remain skeptical about this concept and there are a couple of things that I would prefer to be different. As Woodsie23 has mentioned I also believe that the central exit exhaust was a great feature and gave the Ibiza Cupra a nice signature style.

Being somewhat of a traditionalist, I am disappointed that the car will not be offered as a 3 door and is intended as a 5 door model only along with the rest of the New Ibiza range. It is a shame as it seems that the traditional 3 door hot hatch seems to be disappearing what with the Polo GTI going the same way and of course the Fabia Vrs has only ever been a 5 door from the start.

The most contentious point for me has to be the badge and its colour scheme. The reason given by the SEAT CEO is that the company still had an image problem and that this was costing the CUPRA badged models sales. When he was working for FIAT he did the same thing with the reintroducion of the ABARTH sub brand for the performance models of FIAT. I do not agree with this as I do not feel that SEAT has an image problem at all and that the image of SEAT in recent years has been far better than FIAT much in part to the VAG connection so I do not think this comparison is justified. I personally think it would have been better to keep the CUPRA models with SEAT badging or if they did want to go down this road then they should have used the well known recent CUPRA badge with the chequered flag and red detail. The chosen badge design and colour scheme has no traditional connection for me whereas in the case of FIAT, the ABARTH badge has a long history of being associated with the company.

Rob66

Apr 25, 2004
UK
Would consider but really not keen on the Cupra Logo or the copper accents, that is enough for me to look elsewhere which is a shame.....

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members