Air filter mod?

a22tenc

Jan 21, 2015
Yesterday I changed the air filter of my 1.6 tdi and decided to make an "experiment" with the old one, I removed the cotton layer that is around the filter and used a air compressor to blow air through the filter with and without the cotton layer to see the difference in the airflow. I found out that it restricts alot the airflow, never thought it would make such a big difference. I still installed the new one with it but I'm thinking about removing. Does anyone know if it's necessary and what is it for ?

Some manufacturers don't sell them with the cotton layer just the normal filter so I'm thinking it must be for specific climate maybe ?

I also found the car more responsive and seemed to breath and rev better after changing the air filter even though the old one had only 11k km on.

So I would guess it will be even better after removing the cotton layer.

What do you think ?

The pic below is not mine.

1233692d1398264942-diy-skoda-fabia-1-2-tdi-cr-intake-heat-shield-dscf5501.jpg

cartmanbdx

Aug 23, 2017
Yesterday I changed the air filter of my 1.6 tdi and decided to make an "experiment" with the old one, I removed the cotton layer that is around the filter and used a air compressor to blow air through the filter with and without the cotton layer to see the difference in the airflow. I found out that it restricts alot the airflow, never thought it would make such a big difference. I still installed the new one with it but I'm thinking about removing. Does anyone know if it's necessary and what is it for ?

Some manufacturers don't sell them with the cotton layer just the normal filter so I'm thinking it must be for specific climate maybe ?

I also found the car more responsive and seemed to breath and rev better after changing the air filter even though the old one had only 11k km on.

So I would guess it will be even better after removing the cotton layer.

What do you think ?

The pic below is not mine.

1233692d1398264942-diy-skoda-fabia-1-2-tdi-cr-intake-heat-shield-dscf5501.jpg

I also had that on my 1,6 tdi and I changed to a bmc air filter ! High flow with a remap I have about 150 hp and 340nm torque

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pew.

Mar 23, 2012
Scotland
Not advisable to just remove it, you do not want stones and debris making there way inside your engine.

Buy a pipercross, k&n or bmc etc if you want more airflow

Ps. Changing the air filter alone, makes for very little, if not unnoticeable changes drive or performance.

cartmanbdx

Aug 23, 2017
Not advisable to just remove it, you do not want stones and debris making there way inside your engine.

Buy a pipercross or a k&n one if you want more airflow

Ps. Changing the air filter alone, makes for very little, if not unnoticeable changes drive or performance.

He isn’t removing the filter just the white part that is only on stock part, and not on valeo aftermarket ones for example.

a22tenc

Jan 21, 2015
I also had that on my 1,6 tdi and I changed to a bmc air filter ! High flow with a remap I have about 150 hp and 340nm torque

I was looking to buy an aftermarket air filter, I checked Pipercross, BMC, Green, KN. But the majority say to stay away from those air filters, I checked some comparisons and the amount of dirt that pass through those air filters scares me.

Buy a pipercross, k&n or bmc etc if you want more airflow

How removing just the cotton layer would make stones and debris pass through ?

This is what I'm talking about. As you can see the left is OEM and on the right is Mann Filter.

ry%3D480

cartmanbdx

Aug 23, 2017
I was looking to buy an aftermarket air filter, I checked Pipercross, BMC, Green, KN. But the majority say to stay away from those air filters, I checked some comparisons and the amount of dirt that pass through those air filters scares me.

How removing just the cotton layer would make stones and debris pass through ?

This is what I'm talking about. As you can see the left is OEM and on the right is Mann Filter.

ry%3D480

I totally agree with you there is no problem with taking off that white part it depends on brands and as for the performance filters no many people use them with out any problems.

a22tenc

Jan 21, 2015
I totally agree with you there is no problem with taking off that white part it depends on brands and as for the performance filters no many people use them with out any problems.

Do you know what is it for ? Apart from filtering more obviously and cutting airflow by half.

About the performance filters I suggest you read this article, check the graphs and tell me what you think.

http://nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

dorinn

Mar 20, 2017
You won't do much by removing it..

I tried my car on dyno without the air filter and it had the same performance. The tuner proved me that there's no need to buy a sport air filter as it won't do anything to a diesel car.

So removing the white part, won't give you more performance. So I advise you to let it there, as it filters dust better.

cartmanbdx

Aug 23, 2017
Do you know what is it for ? Apart from filtering more obviously and cutting airflow by half.

About the performance filters I suggest you read this article, check the graphs and tell me what you think.

http://nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

Interesting article, but for my ducati bike I have graphs where I gain hm and torque with performance filter and more open intake :)

a22tenc

Jan 21, 2015
You won't do much by removing it..

I tried my car on dyno without the air filter and it had the same performance. The tuner proved me that there's no need to buy a sport air filter as it won't do anything to a diesel car.

So removing the white part, won't give you more performance. So I advise you to let it there, as it filters dust better.
So today I removed it just to see if I could notice any difference. At WOT the MAF registered around 120gr of air, tomorrow I will put it again and compare, but what I noticed was when I floored it I felt a loss of boost when reaching 3000rpm the same feel I get when the dpf is regenerating. Could it be the ecu adapting to the new values ? It was strange.

When I changed the air filter couple days ago, I felt a slightly difference, more responsive throttle and a linear boost until 4000/4500rpm like normal but today I removed the white layer and this happened...
Checked with vcds and no codes
Interesting article, but for my ducati bike I have graphs where I gain hm and torque with performance filter and more open intake :)

I think bikes is in another league you can't really compare, but on diesels is what it is. I wish you had done a comparison before and after changing to bmc filter.
Why dont you buy a filter without it?
The store where I buy only sells Blueprint and Mahle and both of them have.

a22tenc

Jan 21, 2015
So today I did some logging with vcds and did a 3rd pull wot, didn't feel the power loss I felt before, the car pulled through the entire range but after fiddling with excel I managed to atleast sort the values, couldn't make a graph.
It looks like the car is over boosting hence why sometimes I feel a slightly power loss.

What could it be?

Attachments

• IMG_20180505_193530-2048x1536.jpg
    IMG_20180505_193530-2048x1536.jpg
    957 KB · Views: 95

Royston

Feb 26, 2017
The foam part is for snow if I am correct and not for dust or stones!They are for cold climates, there are two variants warm climates and cold climates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

a22tenc

Jan 21, 2015
Hmm, so if that is correct I don't really need it since it never snows where I live.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.