Condensation in light cluster

silverbawz

Dec 3, 2017
inverclyde
Did they ask you for £90 just to look at it?

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk
No
I called in about four weeks ago no pictures taken by dealer just described fault
They actually ordered parts ahead of warranty claim,could not fault them
As said shocking asking for money before looking at it.

Keyzer Soze

Sep 18, 2016
Newcastle upon Tyne
No
I called in about four weeks ago no pictures taken by dealer just described fault
They actually ordered parts ahead of warranty claim,could not fault them
As said shocking asking for money before looking at it.
Pleased you had a better experience than me. I'm taking mine into SG Petch in Durham tomorrow, I'm a couple of years away from the end of my agreement, but it never hurts to start looking

PaulW100

Apr 24, 2018
If anyone else has this light cluster problem... absolutely do not go to Evans Halshaw in Harrogate to sort it.

Long story short, mine was just out of warranty and seeing as nearly every other car has the same problem with the rear lights I called Seat UK direct and asked if I could get it looked at one of their dealers and see if we could work towards a solution, as SEAT actually confirmed that it’s a manufacturing over tightening issue and their dealer network has been informed this I hoped we could arrange something.

Basically EH told me that because the light unit had been out (I needed to dry it out to get it working again) that it was not covered even if it was under warranty. Seat customer care then told me to take the issue up with the ombudsman as they wouldn’t do anything about it. Totally washed their hands of the issue as it’s out of warranty, Seat uk actually took the advice of the garage over the fact that hundreds of their cars have the issue and that there was a 17 plate SC model with the same problem on both sides parked on Evans Halshaw forecourt for sale !

Currently building the case for the ombudsman, kinda want to see it through before buying a pair of rear clusters, this will teach me for not getting it sorted during warranty.

Reactions: kevster184

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
It's so odd how these warranty things vary, helps so much if you have a dealer with knowledge who is on the customers side.

I've had the condensation issue on one side, nothing my local dealer would do, even if it looks terrible with cracking until it condensates. I'd rather not go to Marshalls Cambridge because I know more than they do.

Now it has, so while in for service on Friday they might with any luck replace it.

If not Euro Car Parts sell then for about £140 then with discount codes might be cheaper and less hassle than warranty.

Sadly Valeo who make these units have very poor quality over Hella for example, but VAG seem to be going the Valeo route to save money. Part of the reason French cars have poor quality, Valeo supply a lot of those parts.

If VAG have any sense this tells them their error!!!

Marshalls now don't have a warranty person on site, SEAT warranty are dealt with email via only. Dealers don't even have a telephone number for them!

Philh46

Dec 24, 2017
Sheffield
The big question ishave they actually sorted the issue or just Replaced and will happen again when. Possibly out of warranty.!

Keyzer Soze

Sep 18, 2016
Newcastle upon Tyne
That would depend on the cause, if it's a quality issue with the lights then it will happen again unless they've improved or redesigned the unit, if it's to do with overtightening then hopefully SEAT have advised their dealer network of how to replace them without overtightening
The big question ishave they actually sorted the issue or just Replaced and will happen again when. Possibly out of warranty.!

Jack2

Apr 13, 2018
Did they ask you for £90 up front for them to "investigate"?

No rang them and made an appointment, service manager had a look and rebooked car in for last week ,done just as warranty was running out, no mention of a diagnostic fee also had a free vehicle health check the first time I took it in.

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
Hard to show in a photo but this was the effort fitting my new light, should be pretty much flush!

Glarh

Apr 6, 2016
Hard to show in a photo but this was the effort fitting my new light, should be pretty much flush!

When I recently had my replacement fitted on the outer light cluster on my st. I waited an hour for it to be done and came out to find it looking this. I went back inside (remained as calm as possible) and said to the rude service manager "can some one come and fit this light to my car correctly?" To which she said why what's the problem I explained that it had been fitted poorly. then one of the mechanics(is that what there referred too?) Who was polite stated thats the best I can be fitted. I said take it out and put it back in again and low and behold it fits much better. No where as flush as when it left the factory but almost as flush. They don't give a **** about the customer as soon as you have the car off them. The impression I get is that it's not their problem.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Glarh

Apr 6, 2016
That looks like a pretty poor effort - but at least they can't be accused of overtightening the screws....
True. though when I asked what's the chances of it happening again the chap said they're from a different supplier and wonder crack like the previous. Only time will tell I guess

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.