Eclipse Orange 4Drive

Andy665

Dec 1, 2017
Yesterday was collection day for the new car.

Have to admit the handover experience was poor - I was driving away in the car literally 4 minutes after setting foot inside the dealership - signed one piece of paper, handed a cheque to return my deposit, handed the keys and book pack and told the car was outside.

Fortunately the car is superb - paintwork looks pretty good and will be starting on getting it decontaminated and protected today.

First few observations about it:

1. The virtual display is superb - so many items configurable on it its going to take some time to get to grips with it

2. The build quality is better than the BMW (M135i) its replaced - plastics, controls are equally as good (or bad) but it feels more tightly screwed together

3. DSG is great apart from when in Sport mode it actually hangs on to lower gears slightly longer than I expected and even when in Manual it still changes up at the redline (which I know is the same for the vast majority of autos anyway)

4. Damping / body control is massively better than the BMW, where that used to corkscrew and pitch on undulating country roads the Leon stays flat and controlled

5. Engine feels strong and is very smooth for a 4 pot but the noise is a bit flat (maybe a resonator delete will fix it)

Few quick phone pics grabbed yesterday

20180512_160756_s.jpg
20180512_160850_s.jpg

Last edited:

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
Yesterday was collection day for the new car.

Have to admit the handover experience was woeful - I was driving away in the car literally 4 minutes after setting foot inside the dealership - signed one piece of paper, handed a cheque to return my deposit, handed the keys and book pack and told the car was outside.

Fortunately the car is superb - paintwork looks pretty good and will be starting on getting it decontaminated and protected today.

First few observations about it:

1. The virtual display is superb - so many items configurable on it its going to take some time to get to grips with it

2. The build quality is better than the BMW (M135i) its replaced - plastics, controls are equally as good (or bad) but it feels more tightly screwed together

3. DSG is great apart from when in Sport mode it actually hangs on to lower gears slightly longer than I expected and even when in Manual it still changes up at the redline (which I know is the same for the vast majority of autos anyway)

4. Damping / body control is massively better than the BMW, where that used to corkscrew and pitch on undulating country roads the Leon stays flat and controlled

5. Engine feels strong and is very smooth for a 4 pot but the noise is a bit flat (maybe a resonator delete will fix it)

Few quick phone pics grabbed yesterday

View attachment 250 View attachment 251

Looks good in that colour

I only put my car in sport mode when I fancy accelerating hard, you can’t drive around normally in that mode. You sound like a vicar in a Yaris who’s forgotten to change gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Sound like the ideal pick up. No arse licking, no big reveal, in out done.

Looks good too.
Yep, that’s the sort of handover I like. And car does look great @Andy665; really like Eclise Orange.

Currently have a VW, and l collected mine from the storage unit around the back of the dealership; very low key. Suited me fine. I hate the ‘big reveal’ that lots of VW dealers seem to do in the showroom, with the car cover that’s been used for previous unveiling ceremonies (full of grit, after being dumped on the showroom floor) being dragged off the car, inflicting scratches and swirls to the paintwork. Not for me.

Andy665

Dec 1, 2017
Good amount of time spent on car today

Decontaminated, light machine polish and first coat of Car Pro C Quartz UK applied, wheels sealed with Car Chem Wheel Armour, glass treated with Angelwax H2GO, exterior and engine bay plastics treated with Perl, new mats installed and all carpets / mats seats treated with GTechnic Fabric Coat

Enabled autofold mirrors and a few other bits and pieces via OBDeleven and set up MirrorLink and the Seat DriveApp

Really impressed with the virtual display, highly configurable and crystal clear[
DSC02284_s.jpg
DSC02289_s.jpg
DSC02299_s.jpg
DSC02284_sl.jpg
DSC02302_s.jpg

Titchy

Jun 10, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Good amount of time spent on car today

Decontaminated, light machine polish and first coat of Car Pro C Quartz UK applied, wheels sealed with Car Chem Wheel Armour, glass treated with Angelwax H2GO, exterior and engine bay plastics treated with Perl, new mats installed and all carpets / mats seats treated with GTechnic Fabric Coat

Enabled autofold mirrors and a few other bits and pieces via OBDeleven and set up MirrorLink and the Seat DriveApp

Really impressed with the virtual display, highly configurable and crystal clear[ View attachment 260 View attachment 256 View attachment 257 View attachment 258 View attachment 259

Wow she’s real nice I really do like the orange! It’s different but not to shouty or in your face.

And I especially like them mats. Where did you get them from if you don’t mind me asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy665

Dec 1, 2017
Mats were from Carmats4u.com - even though it came with mats I always like to fit better quality ones

ukriggers

Desire Cupra ST 4Drive
Jun 19, 2017
Stockport, UK
Lovin' the colour, wasn't available when I ordered mine otherwise it would have been my choice.
I had the ECU and TCU upgrades from Awesome Manchester and it made a massive, noticeable improvement to the engine, gearbox (gearchanges) etc. Well worth the money. I had the same reservations as you did when I took delivery. I did 1000 miles before deciding I had to get something done to improve it. Wow! Now it drives like it should :)

Bailer

May 15, 2018
Had no choice over colour, had to settle for silver, probably just as well as the Orange looks fantastic, there’s no blending in with that!

Reactions: Andy665

Andy665

Dec 1, 2017
It does kind of stand out a bit, not my usual kind of colour choice, even my Westfield is deep red and with a subtle exhaust - just decided to go bold for once

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.