Front Bumper/Bonnet Protection

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
What are you good people doing to protect your front bumpers/bonnets from all the crap on the roads? I was looking at the front end of my car this weekend and it is not in a good way. So many stone chips, scratches, embedded flies, tar. I frequently clean the car, it gets polished and waxed, but the front end is now in a way that it does more damage to the mits, sponges and cloths I use, so it's harder to even apply these products.
I dont think a touch up pen will do the job anymore, so I'm thinking of asking Seat for a respray or even new bumper.

davidstarkey11

Jun 7, 2015
Newcastle upon Tyne
What are you good people doing to protect your front bumpers/bonnets from all the crap on the roads? I was looking at the front end of my car this weekend and it is not in a good way. So many stone chips, scratches, embedded flies, tar. I frequently clean the car, it gets polished and waxed, but the front end is now in a way that it does more damage to the mits, sponges and cloths I use, so it's harder to even apply these products.
I dont think a touch up pen will do the job anymore, so I'm thinking of asking Seat for a respray or even new bumper.

If I was you and it is really as bad as you are describing, I would consider getting it repaired/ replaced and then the new bumper/ bonnet/ wing mirrors wrapped with PPF (Paint Protection Film). Basically its a transparent vinyl wrap that protects your paint from scratches, stone chips etc.

ben4012

Sep 20, 2016
Why would seat give you a new bumper? They haven't been driving it. Time to evaluate your priorities?

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Why would seat give you a new bumper? They haven't been driving it. Time to evaluate your priorities?

Why would I think Seat would just give me a new bumper? I never said they would and I certainly don’t expect a free bumper...and I’m fully aware they haven’t been driving it. So not entirely sure what you’re getting at?

I would 100% expect to pay for a new bumper. But in order to get the bumper or for a repair paint job, I’d have to ask for it. Which is what I was implying by saying I’m going to ask Seat for a new bumper or a respray - you know, for a quote on how much it’ll be...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Damo H

Deleted member 103408

paddy check out ebay put in clear vinyl wrap in the search bar, there are many people selling it.

Reactions: paddy6789

Deleted member 103408

Agreed, its one of those jobs on the list that I have not got round to yet, good thing with the wraps so far they have been reasonably easy to remove if they start to look tatty.

MrRilo

Jun 4, 2016
Buxton, Derbyshire
Front end if my 2 year old FR was looking tatty with chips etc.

Used claybar (£25) to remove flies and tar etc.

Then used Chipex kit (£40) which was really easy.

When paint cured I finished off with polish and wax. Really pleased with the results, you have to look really close to see the repair.

You could then look how to protect it from further damage.

e7f12e3dfd97cbe4ddc4ff576618a7e8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: paddy6789

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
Front end if my 2 year old FR was looking tatty with chips etc.

Used claybar (£25) to remove flies and tar etc.

Then used Chipex kit (£40) which was really easy.

When paint cured I finished off with polish and wax. Really pleased with the results, you have to look really close to see the repair.

You could then look how to protect it from further damage.

e7f12e3dfd97cbe4ddc4ff576618a7e8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Cheers! I’ll give this a go. It’ll certainly be cheaper than any filling/paintwork from a dealer or paint repair company.

Did you have to do any sanding or anything once you had painted? And how well did the paint match?

MrRilo

Jun 4, 2016
Buxton, Derbyshire
Cheers! I’ll give this a go. It’ll certainly be cheaper than any filling/paintwork from a dealer or paint repair company.

Did you have to do any sanding or anything once you had painted? And how well did the paint match?

No sanding to do and everything you need is in the kit. Really easy to use and did all paint chips in an hour.

You just put your reg in the website and they match the paint, mine was a great match. Stood next to the car you cant see anything but on on your hands and knees you can see some but the good thing is you can keep filling with paint till your happy.

Watch this video.

If you decide to get one, just follow the instructions, practice on a couple first because you get better the more you do it and make sure you rub lightly with the finishing solution or you pull out the paint.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
No sanding to do and everything you need is in the kit. Really easy to use and did all paint chips in an hour.

You just put your reg in the website and they match the paint, mine was a great match. Stood next to the car you cant see anything but on on your hands and knees you can see some but the good thing is you can keep filling with paint till your happy.

Watch this video.

If you decide to get one, just follow the instructions, practice on a couple first because you get better the more you do it and make sure you rub lightly with the finishing solution or you pull out the paint.

Just ordered a set - will let you know how I get on.

Cheers :)

Reactions: MrRilo

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
I have found after 30000 miles the best thing for lack of chips has been using ACC is on max distance! Other than what seemed like a rock making a mess of the windscreen.

The last car I bought used had a lot of gravel rash where I think they lived up the bumper of the car in front.

Looked at these paint films many times but always curious about longevity.

Although after 3 years the helicopter tape I used to protect the paint from mudflaps rubbing is still pretty good.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.