USB ports, use to charge only?

ryzzey

Jan 18, 2018
Dorset, UK
Hi,

I have a 2017 Leon FR with Apple CarPlay. There are two USB ports below the climate controls for connection to Apple CarPlay but I was wondering if I could use one to just charge my phone?

At the moment whenever I plug my phone in it loads up CarPlay and there’s no way to stop this, I just want to use the USB ports to charge sometimes but can’t find a way to disable CarPlay easily?

Anyone else worked out a way around this?

Scrogg

Living life only a short bus ride from the edge...
Dec 31, 2017
What do you want to do instead?

ryzzey

Jan 18, 2018
Dorset, UK
What do you want to do instead?
When it loads CarPlay it takes so much power from my phone that it charges really slowly compared to if it was plugged into a USB 12v charger.

Seems strange to have two USB ports but have them both for CarPlay/android auto, can’t use both at the same time anyway!

Scrogg

Dec 31, 2017
O.K, with you now.

Switching your phone to Airplane Mode will solve that.

ryzzey

Jan 18, 2018
Dorset, UK
O.K, with you now.

Switching your phone to Airplane Mode will solve that.
That’s good to know, thank you, but I still want it to be connected by Bluetooth and still be able to receive calls etc.

Guess there’s no way of using the ports purely for power, never mind!

Scrogg

Dec 31, 2017
What about switching off mobile data?

I don't know about Android Auto but Apple Full Link only works with Siri enabled, which only works with mobile data switched on.

ryzzey

Jan 18, 2018
Dorset, UK
What about switching off mobile data?

I don't know about Android Auto but Apple Full Link only works with Siri enabled, which only works with mobile data switched on.
I might try disabling Siri then! I’ll see if that works, if not there must be a way of disabling Apple CarPlay on the phone or car somehow.

Scrogg

Dec 31, 2017
...if not there must be a way of disabling Apple CarPlay on the phone or car somehow.
I'm sure there is, I just can't think of one off the top of my head...

Deleted member 103408

Not sure if its the same on yours but my car has the following settings (Via VCDS, OBD11)

byte_19_USB
Settings are
Off, charge, full, usb_ipod

So if you or somebody you know can have a look they may be able to turn the ports to charge only

Reactions: missmouse

IrnBru

Apr 4, 2018
When it loads CarPlay it takes so much power from my phone that it charges really slowly compared to if it was plugged into a USB 12v charger.

Seems strange to have two USB ports but have them both for CarPlay/android auto, can’t use both at the same time anyway!

You actually raise a good point. Why have 2 usb's when both of them do the exact same thing? If someone was in the passenger seat and they needed a charge while u were using 1 USB port, probably quicker charging via the 12v socket anyway.

julian24110

Jul 16, 2009
Cornwall

There are 2 USB ports in the back ( or there are on my 2018) under the air vent in the centre console. These are just charging ports. A bit messy but if you run a cable from one of these into the front you have exactly what you describe.

Reactions: IrnBru

Shaady

Jan 25, 2017
What happens if you connect it up, let full link\car play load and then disconnect the phone from the options menu in full link?

That might give you what you want, should mean that car play isnt connected anymore

Reactions: ryzzey

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
Can you reject the connection from your phone once it's connected? From memory on my Samsung you have to choose how you want it to connect once the USB is plugged in, and charging only is one of the options. I don't use full link all that often though

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: ryzzey

ryzzey

Jan 18, 2018
Dorset, UK
You actually raise a good point. Why have 2 usb's when both of them do the exact same thing? If someone was in the passenger seat and they needed a charge while u were using 1 USB port, probably quicker charging via the 12v socket anyway.
Exactly! Seems a bit silly to me, yeah it probably is quicker with 12v but like you said it's silly having two USBs if neither of them are purely for charging.

ryzzey

Jan 18, 2018
Dorset, UK
There are 2 USB ports in the back ( or there are on my 2018) under the air vent in the centre console. These are just charging ports. A bit messy but if you run a cable from one of these into the front you have exactly what you describe.
Hi Julian, I haven't actually looked in the back but don't remember seeing any. Is yours an ST?

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
Hi Julian, I haven't actually looked in the back but don't remember seeing any. Is yours an ST?
Think this could be a MY18 thing. MY17 doesn't have them.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I've got a 66 Plate Ibiza FR Tech with single USB / carplay / Full Link, and have a Samsung phone, when plugged in, would ask if I would like to connect, I just said no, and that's the end of it. Charges all-right, probably equivalent of a 1A charger. 45 min drive would charge about 45-50%.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.