Cupra 290 not backfiring

Daire92

Cupra 290 DSG
Jan 6, 2016
Ireland
www.instagram.com
Hi all,
I picked up a Cupra 290 with the DSG box at the start of the month, absolutely love it but I've noticed it does not do the backfiring noise on throttle liftoff like a few other Cupra 290s I've seen and even driven.
The DSG farts are great but I'd like it to pop and bang while it's revving down. Is there a trick to get this happening I'm missing? I've got the exhaust plenty hot and got it to 4500rpm+ before I leave off the throttle and nothing happens.
It's not the end of the world but I'd love to hear it more often. Tempted to go down the line of a resonator delete to try and get the exhaust a bit more aggressive. Any recommendations for exhaust mods to help?

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
it might be doing it but not that loud in the car, outside it might be heard. other cars you have heard also might have had different exhausts on them tbh.

silles

May 4, 2017
Mine brand new does it when, cruising in D mode and I put DSG into S mode, it shifts back one or two gears and I let off the accelerator to engine brake. Best around 3500-4000 RPM.

Daire92

Cupra 290 DSG
Jan 6, 2016
Ireland
www.instagram.com
Actually got it popping today. It's just very quiet compared to a different 290 I test drove a year ago. Had to put the windows down and try it on a narrow lane with hedges either side to give an echo. Definitely gonna do a resonator delete soon as the exhuast is just a tiny bit too quiet as is.

Crumpy

May 9, 2018
Back box delete is what you need. i had a remus back box delete done on my 280 at motech performance with some quad black tips, and oh my is it aggressive now! the nice thing is its still quiet in comfort mode so not always silly. DSG farts sound epic and the over run sounds like a rally car in sport!

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Back box delete is what you need. i had a remus back box delete done on my 280 at motech performance with some quad black tips, and oh my is it aggressive now! the nice thing is its still quiet in comfort mode so not always silly. DSG farts sound epic and the over run sounds like a rally car in sport!
The 290 already has the extra back box of the 280 removed. He could delete the resonator as well.

Last edited:

Crumpy

May 9, 2018
The 290 already has the extra back box of the 280 removed. He could delete he resonator as well going...
Oh really! damn he wants it loud, i mean mine is definitely offensive when gear changing passed bus stops etc!!! hahaha

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
I heard/ read somewhere, forget where now, that the 290 not only had the centre muffler removed but was also a full 3 inch exhaust system? I'm sceptical about that as my bro in law has just a 3 inch downpipe and to say it's anti-social when accelerating is an understatement.

Would love my 280 to pop and crackle on overrun but I don't want to remove the back box or the resonator

Crumpy

May 9, 2018
I heard/ read somewhere, forget where now, that the 290 not only had the centre muffler removed but was also a full 3 inch exhaust system? I'm sceptical about that as my bro in law has just a 3 inch downpipe and to say it's anti-social when accelerating is an understatement.

Would love my 280 to pop and crackle on overrun but I don't want to remove the back box or the resonator

The pops and crackles are so sweet but i couldn't really hear them before i had the back box off! simple mod though, they didn't even cut it off, just a couple a bolts and i've kept the original box so can put back to stock if i ever need to.

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
The pops and crackles are so sweet but i couldn't really hear them before i had the back box off! simple mod though, they didn't even cut it off, just a couple a bolts and i've kept the original box so can put back to stock if i ever need to.
I didn't think the 280 did that at all, I mean I get the DSG pops but nothing on overrun. I've tried a couple times a while back and it just sounded like I had forgotten to change gear... willing to give it another try however :). Sound actuator is now turned off and centre muffler gone so I get a bit more noise.

I was always under the impression that mapping had a lot to do with it also?

Crumpy

May 9, 2018
I didn't think the 280 did that at all, I mean I get the DSG pops but nothing on overrun. I've tried a couple times a while back and it just sounded like I had forgotten to change gear... willing to give it another try however :). Sound actuator is now turned off and centre muffler gone so I get a bit more noise.

I was always under the impression that mapping had a lot to do with it also?

Yeah mine does! when the DSG is in sport and I'm off the power between about 2 and 3000rpm, snap, crackle n pop! mines not mapped! that i know of anyway!

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
Yeah mine does! when the DSG is in sport and I'm off the power between about 2 and 3000rpm, snap, crackle n pop! mines not mapped! that i know of anyway!
Well I know what I'm doing on the way home tonight once the oil temp is up :-D

Crumpy

May 9, 2018
Well I know what I'm doing on the way home tonight once the oil temp is up :-D
HAHA! yeah bang it in sport mode, off the throttle between 2-4000rpm and you should get them. i run BP ultimate fuel too, don't know if that makes a difference!? down hills seems to be at its loudest also haha! good luck

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
Tried, failed ☹️. Same time tomorrow ...

I couldn’t hear anything with the windows up and with them down the wind noise was too much. Big stock back box probably not helping either. Still, kept me amused for a few minutes.

dsj20v

Dec 6, 2007
hampshire
What about using vagcom to open flaps on system permanently , surely that would negate the use of deleting resonator

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
What about using vagcom to open flaps on system permanently , surely that would negate the use of deleting resonator
Sorry to say our cars don’t have a flap in the exhaust.

Edit - Not as standard anyway there are a few exhaust options, but they’re above £2,000.

I paid less than £1,000 for my powervalve exhaust, but the flap is controlled by boost not electronics.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members