Cupra 290 not backfiring

Crumpy

May 9, 2018
Tried, failed ☹️. Same time tomorrow ...

I couldn’t hear anything with the windows up and with them down the wind noise was too much. Big stock back box probably not helping either. Still, kept me amused for a few minutes.
Oh yeah if you still got the back box you won't hear them! i have a remus back box delete and in sport you can't stop it hoping and banging on the over run with a few thousand revs! but i couldn't hear them before i had the backbone off. BP ultimate fuel too, don't know if that helps.

To my knowledge though there isn't any flaps in the 280 exhaust, just the back box killing the sounds.

rozer1974

Feb 6, 2017
wirral
APR stage 2 crackle and pop map is very good coupled with resonator removal and centre box you would never need it louder.

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
Had my normal envious moment every time I hear my friends 300 this weekend. Got me thinking though.

Does anyone actually know what the differences are between the 280 exhaust and the 290/300? Apart from the centre muffler.

All the reviews say ‘now with a sports exhaust as standard’

A centre muffler removal doesn’t define a sports exhaust and mine definitely does not sound like the 290/300 with my centre muffler out.

So I’m thinking there must be more to it, smaller back box maybe? Different internals?, I just can’t seem to find out what.

It’s been a boring day with a hangover... can you tell?!

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
280 has an extra resonator compared to the 290/300 I believe, same as the ST, the ST no matter which model 280/290/300 has an extra resonator compared to the normal 5/3 door
I've had my centre silencer taken out. So I have just the resonator and the back box like the 290/300. They just sound more throaty when idling. So I just wondered if they have a 3inch system etc or some other difference of the internals of the back box.

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
280 has an extra resonator compared to the 290/300 I believe, same as the ST, the ST no matter which model 280/290/300 has an extra resonator compared to the normal 5/3 door
Exhaust is a completely different setup for the ST.

All have the large resonator at the front. After that though...

3/5 door:
280 - 2 silencers running in series, 1 small 1 large.
290/300 - 1 large silencer.

ST
280/290/300 - 2 small silencers running in parallel (as they are after the exhaust splits to go around the spare wheel housing).

Gilesc

Jun 19, 2018
Actually got it popping today. It's just very quiet compared to a different 290 I test drove a year ago. Had to put the windows down and try it on a narrow lane with hedges either side to give an echo. Definitely gonna do a resonator delete soon as the exhuast is just a tiny bit too quiet as is.
Hey sorry jumping on an old thread, I just wondered if you did the resonator delete?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.