Rust spot

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
Hey all,

Cleaning my Exeo yesterday and noticed I've got a rust spot forming under the paint. It's located on the bottom section of the door, under the painted rubber strip behind the front wheel.

It was probably caused by a stone chip that I didn't notice that has now gone bad.

Has anyone had experience on getting SEAT to repair stuff like this under the anti corrosion warranty? Or is this just wear and tear. The car is 5 years and 1 month old.

Cheers
Matt

S70DGE

Feb 15, 2011
Halifax west Yorkshire
mines a 59 plate ST I got both wings replaced under warranty last year it was a very long process but I got it done eventually you have to keep pressuring them they eventually gave in I think they were sick of my phone calls

Reactions: Tom B

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
mines a 59 plate ST I got both wings replaced under warranty last year it was a very long process but I got it done eventually you have to keep pressuring them they eventually gave in I think they were sick of my phone calls

Just out of curiosity, do you have full dealer service history?

My car had full SEAT history then the previous owner got the emissions fix done, didn't like it, lost faith with the brand and got two services done at a Bosch Service Centre. I've been back to that dealer since I bought it, they're very nice but they're 40 miles away so its a long trek to not get very far! I've noticed rust appear on the inside of one of my wings, where the fabric arch liner rests against it. Where were yours rusting?

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Hey all,

Cleaning my Exeo yesterday and noticed I've got a rust spot forming under the paint. It's located on the bottom section of the door, under the painted rubber strip behind the front wheel.

It was probably caused by a stone chip that I didn't notice that has now gone bad.

Has anyone had experience on getting SEAT to repair stuff like this under the anti corrosion warranty? Or is this just wear and tear. The car is 5 years and 1 month old.

Cheers
Matt

Hi Matt,

In my experience, bubbles under paint can be from perforation, but they can also be from bad filler. I would enquire with the dealer, they should take pictures and send them to SEAT Technical for analysis. If it was stonechip damage, you'd see a crater in the paint so if the paint looks good you may have a case.

Good luck!

S70DGE

Feb 15, 2011
Halifax west Yorkshire
yep mine corroded in the same place in the centre of the wheel arch at the top its a common fault caused by a foam pad behind the wing that rubs off the wax from the inside of the wing then the foam holds water salt and crud which eventually rots it from the inside out mines got full dealer history upto about 70k then the rest is an independent garage it had 85k when I got the wings done

decadent

Apr 1, 2012
Herts
Thanks guys. I should take a photo. I think there is stonechip damage as there is a crater in the middle. I've had the car since it was almost new so probs not filler however can't discount that of course!

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
yep mine corroded in the same place in the centre of the wheel arch at the top its a common fault caused by a foam pad behind the wing that rubs off the wax from the inside of the wing then the foam holds water salt and crud which eventually rots it from the inside out mines got full dealer history upto about 70k then the rest is an independent garage it had 85k when I got the wings done

Thank you, sounds like I may have a chance of getting them fixed for free! :D

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Thanks guys. I should take a photo. I think there is stonechip damage as there is a crater in the middle. I've had the car since it was almost new so probs not filler however can't discount that of course!

Unfortunately if it has a crater in the middle it's definitely impact related. Post up a picture and lets see how bad it is.

Tamas328

Apr 19, 2017
I have a similar issue, just noticed a rust spot on the inside of the OSF door down in the corner where the plastic trim is.

It is on the inside so can't be impact related. Do I just walk in a SEAT dealership and get them to have a look?

Apparently rust warranty is not affected by change of ownership and it is covered for 12 years.

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
If its on the inside of the door, go and see the dealer. There's a good chance it's covered under the anti perforation warranty.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members