Very hard suspension on FR with 17’s

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
How do I go about checking this on my own car, just jack up one of the front wheels, take it off and then lift the cover under the coil?

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
Basically yes.
Or just drive it. If it feels like there is zero suspension travel, every bump in the road threatens to throw you into a ditch and your fillings fall out, then chances are you have a similar problem.

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
How do I go about checking this on my own car, just jack up one of the front wheels, take it off and then lift the cover under the coil?

Believe me you will notice, it’s horrendous with them in, is your front end inordinately high?

If it is, you will clearly see the springs through the gap, lift up the bellows and you will see pink plastic if they are there.

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
Believe me you will notice, it’s horrendous with them in, is your front end inordinately high?

If it is, you will clearly see the springs through the gap, lift up the bellows and you will see pink plastic if they are there.
Well I tried to look last time when cleaning the car through the spokes of the alloys but i could only access the bottom part of the spring which has the three colour dots and from the pictures posted these blocks are placed a lot higher in the springs so maybe my issue is just the fr has stiffer suspension and the 18inch alloys dont make it any better. The ride is very harsh but not unstable in any way?

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
Well I tried to look last time when cleaning the car through the spokes of the alloys but i could only access the bottom part of the spring which has the three colour dots and from the pictures posted these blocks are placed a lot higher in the springs so maybe my issue is just the fr has stiffer suspension and the 18inch alloys dont make it any better. The ride is very harsh but not unstable in any way?

What’s the measurement from bottom of wing to top of tyre?

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
What’s the measurement from bottom of wing to top of tyre?
I would need to check tomorrow when I'm out at the car. Here is a picture of the car, the front doesnt look too high but I dont have a clue this is my first leon.
work.png

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
so maybe my issue is just the fr has stiffer suspension and the 18inch alloys dont make it any better. The ride is very harsh but not unstable in any way?
The 18's maybe make a difference, but my other half's new FR ST on 17's is surprisingly smooth; in terms of ride quality way better than the Ibiza FR it has replaced.

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
The 18's maybe make a difference, but my other half's new FR ST on 17's is surprisingly smooth; in terms of ride quality way better than the Ibiza FR it has replaced.

Mine is also now very smooth on the 17’s after the removal of the offending items.

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
I always find driving makes you feel so much more of the road and bumps for obvious reasons and I wont ever sit in the passenger seat to see how it feels, none of my passengers ever complain about comfort apart from the potholes, the feeling goes right through me. I'm only comparing the suspension to my old car which was a corsa with 16inch alloys, it was no where near as harsh as the Leon but stiffer suspension and 18inch alloys, thats what I expected

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK

I went from Leon SE TEch with 16inch 55 profile tyres, to Ibiza FR with 17 inch 40 profile tyres, yikes, yes...I had to avoid every bump, pot hole, and sleeping policeman, then realised, let me lower the tyre pressures so it rested between (normal and Komfort) pressures. It was a bit better..but on a country road with none of the above :clap:

kevster184

Mar 14, 2015
I went from Leon SE TEch with 16inch 55 profile tyres, to Ibiza FR with 17 inch 40 profile tyres, yikes, yes...I had to avoid every bump, pot hole, and sleeping policeman, then realised, let me lower the tyre pressures so it rested between (normal and Komfort) pressures. It was a bit better..but on a country road with none of the above :clap:

When I bought my FR Leon I deliberately didn't go for the option 18's that were on the car I test drove, too hard for me.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.