Thinking of buying a Exeo

marculos

May 16, 2010
Hi,

I am thinking of buying an Exeo, a 2010 2.0 tsi version.

I see there are two versions the 197 bhp and the 211 bhp.

I have found one to look at but it has little history. As these have the chain I am guessing they will need to have the tensioner replaced , and cam follower ? I guess it would be a few hundred quid to get these replaced.

Is there anything else I should be checking for on a Exeo other than usual stuff , any common faults ?

Appreciate your help !

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Hello and welcome.

The 2.0 TSI is a good sleeper. Most of them were sold to the police so if you find one with a few extras you might have one of the private ones. I guess you've seen the £4500 light blue ST Sport for sale? I think that one is private as it has the Winter pack (heated seats, heated washer jets & headlight washer jets), all the police ones I've seen have had basic seats.

There are two types, the 197bhp version is a sideways MK5 Golf GTI engine and the 211bhp version is a sideways MK6 Golf GTI engine. Both have their issues, I had 2 of the older engines and they were both really troublesome so I'd avoid the early ones like the plague. You only need to change timing chains if you have issues like rattling. They are supposed to last the life of the engine but I understand why you'd rather change it. have a look on the Golf or Leon forums as I'm sure they'll know better than we do. As for costs, I'd say high hundreds, chains are much more expensive than belts.

If it has electrical faults, walk away. They collect water around the ECU (look for my thread about water around the battery). Other than that they are A4 B7s in disguise and they are pretty solid. Wishbone bushes tend to go bad around 90-100k, and the pinch bolt that holds them in seizes causing lots of swearing at the garage. The rubber belts go bad at the same time. I've seen some cars for sale at auctions with broken PAS pumps so make sure all is good when you turn the wheel. Oh and buy the best spec you can find, buyers remorse isn't fun!

Good luck!

Reactions: marculos

marculos

May 16, 2010
Hello and welcome.

The 2.0 TSI is a good sleeper. Most of them were sold to the police so if you find one with a few extras you might have one of the private ones. I guess you've seen the £4500 light blue ST Sport for sale? I think that one is private as it has the Winter pack (heated seats, heated washer jets & headlight washer jets), all the police ones I've seen have had basic seats.

There are two types, the 197bhp version is a sideways MK5 Golf GTI engine and the 211bhp version is a sideways MK6 Golf GTI engine. Both have their issues, I had 2 of the older engines and they were both really troublesome so I'd avoid the early ones like the plague. You only need to change timing chains if you have issues like rattling. They are supposed to last the life of the engine but I understand why you'd rather change it. have a look on the Golf or Leon forums as I'm sure they'll know better than we do. As for costs, I'd say high hundreds, chains are much more expensive than belts.

If it has electrical faults, walk away. They collect water around the ECU (look for my thread about water around the battery). Other than that they are A4 B7s in disguise and they are pretty solid. Wishbone bushes tend to go bad around 90-100k, and the pinch bolt that holds them in seizes causing lots of swearing at the garage. The rubber belts go bad at the same time. I've seen some cars for sale at auctions with broken PAS pumps so make sure all is good when you turn the wheel. Oh and buy the best spec you can find, buyers remorse isn't fun!

Good luck!
Many Thanks Tony for this info. It is indeed ex Police. Its reg date is May 2010 which was I believe was the cut off date between 197/211 bhp. Is there an engine code or something I can check?

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Yeah completely forgot to mention that!

The cars do have engine codes, another way to check is to put the reg into the DVLA vehicle enquiry site and look at the g/km rating. If it's around 160, it's the later engine. The earlier engine was around 180g/km.

marculos

May 16, 2010
Thanks its 179g/km so guess the earlier engine. Going for a viewing today. It doesnt have much history as ex police. Guess it should of been looked after just maybe driven hard a bit !

marculos

May 16, 2010
Went to look at it yesterday and had a good test drive. Thinking about buying it.

Its previously ex police so little history but looks like been well looked after. Few issues with the car. Air-con isnt working and I don't want another car without this especially as it has no sun roof. Is this likely just a regas or any other common reasons why it would of stopped working ?

Cup holder not working seems stuck, is the a dashboard apart job ?

Is there a PDF or something available which shows the service intervals ?

Thanks for your help !

Dicko90

Feb 14, 2017
Went to look at it yesterday and had a good test drive. Thinking about buying it.

Its previously ex police so little history but looks like been well looked after. Few issues with the car. Air-con isnt working and I don't want another car without this especially as it has no sun roof. Is this likely just a regas or any other common reasons why it would of stopped working ?

Cup holder not working seems stuck, is the a dashboard apart job ?

Is there a PDF or something available which shows the service intervals ?

Thanks for your help !

Is the ECON air con light constantly on? If so this means there is a fault in the aircon system. I had to have the pressure valve replaced on mine (I’m sure that’s what it was) the garage tried regassing the system first but no such luck. I think the valve was around £40 then fitting so was about £80 all in as it was a bumper off job so not to costly.

marculos

May 16, 2010
Thanks for the help. I did't notice the ECON light was on no. I'm seeing if he can get it regassed first. I don't want to sped £££ as soon as I buy the car and with my luck it will be the compressor !

Cryptokid

May 23, 2018
Is the ECON air con light constantly on? If so this means there is a fault in the aircon system. I had to have the pressure valve replaced on mine (I’m sure that’s what it was) the garage tried regassing the system first but no such luck. I think the valve was around £40 then fitting so was about £80 all in as it was a bumper off job so not to costly.

Im in Spain currently, and yesterday i was quoted 318Euros to change the 'Valvula Alta Presion' (high pressure valve), on my 2012 Exeo ST Tech. The mechanic wants 5 hours to change this AC valve, as he says its located deep at the back of the engine, and lots needs to be removed. Can any knowledgeable people out there, confirm this as correct?

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
If you want the history of the vehicle, submit an FOI request to the police force that used it. They will keep records, it'll probably be on A4 paper but it's better than nothing!

With regards to the cup holder, try pressing it in many many times. They normally clog up if there's been a spillage. Once it's open, give the mechanism a good clean and it should be fine.

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
Im in Spain currently, and yesterday i was quoted 318Euros to change the 'Valvula Alta Presion' (high pressure valve), on my 2012 Exeo ST Tech. The mechanic wants 5 hours to change this AC valve, as he says its located deep at the back of the engine, and lots needs to be removed. Can any knowledgeable people out there, confirm this as correct?

Try a different garage, that one sounds like a con artist! It doesn't take 5 hours to change an AC pressure sensor. If it really is deep at the back of the engine then it'll be easy to get to once it's up in the air on a workshop ramp.

IIRC the high pressure sensor is screwed into the condensor. The AC will have to be degassed & regassed and front bumper will have to be loosened or removed but it takes around 30-40 minutes to remove the bumper and no more than 5 minutes to remove and refit the sensor.

Last edited:

Dicko90

Feb 14, 2017
I think he is trying it on as that’s very dear! I’ve just checked my invoice and I paid £56 for the high pressure valve (part no 3R0959126) and £46 for fitting then plus VAT so was around £117 all in. I was always led to believe the valve was at the front behind the bumper? Someone may prove me wrong though.

Cryptokid

May 23, 2018
Try a different garage, that one sounds like a con artist! It doesn't take 5 hours to change an AC pressure sensor. If it really is deep at the back of the engine then it'll be easy to get to once it's up in the air on a workshop ramp.

IIRC the high pressure sensor is screwed into the condensor. The AC will have to be degassed & regassed and front bumper will have to be loosened or removed but it takes around 30-40 minutes to remove the bumper and no more than 5 minutes to remove and refit the sensor.

With the bonnet up, he pointed to a space between the engine and the wipers, and said "its under there, so all this needs to come out"! o_O
Thanks for the infos guys.

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
You might even be able to get to the sensor by simply removing the front grille which is held in place by two pop rivets at the top (open the bonnet and you'll see them) Looking at the price Dicko90 paid for fitting, I guess that's how they fitted his.

Good luck Cryptokid!

Reactions: Dicko90

Cryptokid

May 23, 2018
Get a code read, if its high pressure switch problem try a re-gass, if that does not work change the switch, its a bumper off job and no need for a re-gass as its a self sealing socket on the condenser rad. Remove the front wheels and the arch liners, this makes it so much easier to get to the evil nuts below the headlights.
I might just try that. I was wondering if it would swap-out, without evac/recharge. Nice one caldi :thumbup:

marculos

May 16, 2010
I'm trying to find the history. I managed to get the cup holder free but its knackered.. replaced it today. Lots of little jobs to do.. I'm happy its a nice car !

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise