Continental Sport-Contact-5 life expectancy on Cupra

silles

May 4, 2017
I've only done 2k miles, but seen some wear already ... I'm not racing, or doing burnouts ...

How many miles u getting out of theses tyres on the Cupra?
Also how do u drive? boyracer, normal, miss daisy etc ...

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
They are crappy tires and wear fast - no idea how they get so good reviews.

Had them before on the Saab and they wore fast, plus the grip not so good and are noisy.
Now they came on the Leon and the experience for me is still the same.

Took them to the track once, must have done max 12 laps and they did not take it gracefully.

Reactions: kazand

silles

May 4, 2017
They are crappy tires and wear fast - no idea how they get so good reviews.

Had them before on the Saab and they wore fast, plus the grip not so good and are noisy.
Now they came on the Leon and the experience for me is still the same.

Took them to the track once, must have done max 12 laps and they did not take it gracefully.

I think they grip very well ... but looks like wear is shocking
but I can only compare them to my old FR's BridgeStone Potenzas which were hopeless with 1/2 of the power

Lmbarrett83

Sep 8, 2017
Sheffield
I've only done 2k miles, but seen some wear already ... I'm not racing, or doing burnouts ...

What kind of wear are you seeing? I.e is it uneven?
My tyre wear was exacerbated by the pressure in the tyres they weren't set right.

Mine were over inflated and wear was in the middle.

Under inflated usually show on the edges

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
I killed mine in 4500 miles, swapped them to PS4S's and they are a far better tyre all round, currently on 13k in total (including the first set of tyres) and still got decent life in them

Reactions: silles

silles

May 4, 2017
What kind of wear are you seeing? I.e is it uneven?
My tyre wear was exacerbated by the pressure in the tyres they weren't set right.

Mine were over inflated and wear was in the middle.

Under inflated usually show on the edges
seems even, just wearing to quickly, just ordered a tyre thread meter, I'll check it tomorrow.

Tyre pressure is spot on

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
seems even, just wearing to quickly, just ordered a tyre thread meter, I'll check it tomorrow.

Tyre pressure is spot on
Got 10k out of first set of Conti's on Cupra, changed for Goodyear's Assy's , they've done 15k now and are still 3-4mm. Just be thankful you don't have the Bridgestones, what a load of crap they were!
Conti's were ok but I think the Goodyear's are better, although maybe not as good as the Michelin's a lot rave about.

hellooo

Nov 2, 2014

I echo other points, about the 5p being a crap tyre. After 11.5k, my fronts are just below 4mm and the rears slightly under 6. Car is a 290ST DSG. Had an expensive couple of months, so will leave the fronts until 3mm before switching to 4Ss. They seem quite cheap on Black Circles at the moment. £167 fitted from memory.

silles

May 4, 2017
The fronts on mine have worn 1 - 1.5mm in 5000km. Great power equals great cost.

depends on how u drive it, I normally don't floor cars in 1st ... unless it's a rental, because I drive them in binary mode ( gas on, gas off ) :drive1:

Reactions: LouG

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
I had SportContact 3 on the Saab, literally driven to the thread (power was a novelty for me then, so I had to use it...) and replaced with the SportContact 5 that I hated in every single way:
- grip was much worse than the SportContact 3 they replaced
- wear was pathetically bad
- noisy
- NOT ROUND!!!
On the not round point:
I took the car out after they were fitted and it did not feel balanced - after 60km drive came back and complained... Balanced again, fit to car and still vibrating.
Went back, complained again and he spins the wheels with 3 showing oval(!!)
He tried to blame my rims, but removed tires from rims and the rims were fine.
Continental rep travelled to my town and upon inspection, there and then orders for one of the tires to be replaced.
Eventually, it came down to them sending me a full set of wheels and tires to drive around and taking my wheels and tires to the head office to "balance" there... What they did was shave of the tires until they were round.
Eventually it drove fine but, I took that car to Nurburgring and the tires were horrid - no grip and unpredictable when driven hard.
Next I got a Skoda Octavia mk3, came with Bridgestone Potenzza in 17" - noisy, wearing fast, bad on grip.
I got 19" wheels and the best package for wheel and tyre from the place I got them from was with the Nokian Hakka Z tires - way more silent, good overall tyre, good on wear, not great on the track but still better than the crap SportContact 5 that I hate with passion...
Traded Octavia for the Cupra and... It comes again with the damn SportContact 5, which are just as bad as I remembered them to be.

Tl;Dr: my next tires are Michelin PilotSport 4S ;)

Reactions: LouG

silles

May 4, 2017
I had SportContact 3 on the Saab, literally driven to the thread (power was a novelty for me then, so I had to use it...) and replaced with the SportContact 5 that I hated in every single way:
- grip was much worse than the SportContact 3 they replaced
- wear was pathetically bad
- noisy
- NOT ROUND!!!
On the not round point:
I took the car out after they were fitted and it did not feel balanced - after 60km drive came back and complained... Balanced again, fit to car and still vibrating.
Went back, complained again and he spins the wheels with 3 showing oval(!!)
He tried to blame my rims, but removed tires from rims and the rims were fine.
Continental rep travelled to my town and upon inspection, there and then orders for one of the tires to be replaced.
Eventually, it came down to them sending me a full set of wheels and tires to drive around and taking my wheels and tires to the head office to "balance" there... What they did was shave of the tires until they were round.
Eventually it drove fine but, I took that car to Nurburgring and the tires were horrid - no grip and unpredictable when driven hard.
Next I got a Skoda Octavia mk3, came with Bridgestone Potenzza in 17" - noisy, wearing fast, bad on grip.
I got 19" wheels and the best package for wheel and tyre from the place I got them from was with the Nokian Hakka Z tires - way more silent, good overall tyre, good on wear, not great on the track but still better than the crap SportContact 5 that I hate with passion...
Traded Octavia for the Cupra and... It comes again with the damn SportContact 5, which are just as bad as I remembered them to be.

Tl;Dr: my next tires are Michelin PilotSport 4S ;)

at least we dont have to wait long for the 4S s

TallTom

Oct 16, 2017
I begrudgingly had to replace one when a stone/brick ?!?!! took a huge chunk out of the sidewall after just 2k miles...

They grip just fine but they're very noisy. Secretly hoping they wear down nice and quick so the Michelin's can go on!

silles

May 4, 2017
ok so after 1900 miles, I still have 65mm thread depth ... not sure if it was 70mm or 80mm when new ?

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
Or clown tyres :fool:
And 10 inch wheels. :clown:

Back on topic, in my fr I'm currently at over 24k on the Bridgestone. It's difficult to compare tyre wear effectively as it not only depends on your style of driving but also the type of driving you do. I do 50 mile round commute on a roads and dual carriageway, nice straight run with flowing bends, no stop starts or twisty bits which will induce wear quicker.

silles

May 4, 2017
most of that 2k was done on the motorway and some of it was done on B roads ...
loosing 1.5mm of thread in 2k is not so bad ...