Front Assist not working

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
I have the front assist box ticked in the display but it appears there is no action from it, whether in town traffic or the open road, is there something that isn’t set right or is there a fault?

Deleted member 103408

Jim when you say no action, I have it on my car and its very rare I get anything out of it.

From memory its when a car is too close to your car and you don't break fast enough then it warns you and if you ignore the warning (big red stop sign) it will break for you. I presume the car came with this feature and not something you added via coding, if coding then check to see if you have any errors.

Sorry cant be more help.

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
Yes it came with the feature as standard. Haven’t seen anything from it at all, even tried to invoke it by purposely leaving my braking as late as I dare and still nothing. I felt if I hadn’t hit the brake pedal hard when I did I would have ploughed into the car in front.

Maybe I’m such an alert driver that it feels it’s not needed........lol

KagnuS

Jun 4, 2018
UK
I have it in my mk3 Cupra as standard but haven't yet seen it in action. Only had the car for a month though.
Is there a limit from what speed it starts working? So for example, if you are parking and get too close to the car in front, does it break for you?

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
I have it in my mk3 Cupra as standard but haven't yet seen it in action. Only had the car for a month though.
Is there a limit from what speed it starts working? So for example, if you are parking and get too close to the car in front, does it break for you?

I believe it works above 3 or 4 mph

IrnBru

Apr 4, 2018
Surprisingly enough, I had it come on today, I was coming off the Edinburgh City by pass, van in front of me came to an abrupt stop (but not his fault) , so I slammed the anchors on and had the red warning sign on the dash too, I felt the wheels lock up, I'm sure this system done more for me than I could have.

Deleted member 103408

I have only seen it a few times but I had a twit coming off main A Road (via roundabout) and he just did not look my way.
Red light on and breaks engaged, horn hit to point out how lucky he was that I did not hit him.

Sometimes the tech is good, the other bit i have not been aware of but sure it works is the brake prefil

Another simply clever element of the Electronic Stability Control system is Prefill. Your Car will recognise when your foot has abruptly lifted off the accelerator and anticipates that this may be followed by a sharp depression of the brake pedal. To prepare for this braking, your Car automatically increases pressure in the brake system by "prefilling" the brake hydraulics with fluid. It also brings the brake pads closer to the discs. This speeds up the braking effect for optimal stopping.

Reactions: Lmbarrett83

iScoTT29

May 18, 2017
Had it come up 3 or 4 times on motorway driving when cars come to abrupt stops or pull out in front of me. If you dont break enough within the warning period you actually feel the brake pedal move to the floor when the car is braking, its a great system and has worked well so far. Had 1 warning flash up when changing lanes to overtake but the car never braked as it must have sense the car was no longer in the cars way.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
The hydraulics are constantly filled with fluid, the system just pressurises slightly to let the pads brush the discs. It's the same as bike racers given the brakes a "confidence" tap after a long fast straight to make sure the pads haven't retracted slightly from flexing of the forks.

Deleted member 103408

agreed just sharing the VW Marketing blurb, still a nice safety feature that we dont see or feel other than the car stops quick.

daniel_ley

Mar 3, 2018
Dudley
Mines definitely saved me a few times, once when I didn't realise I was creeping forward and I leant down to pick up my bag which had fallen off the passenger seat and it braked suddenly to stop me hitting the car in front, eek! You can adjust the sensitivity of it on the central screen too.

silles

May 4, 2017
it saved me once, was looking right to change lane when the traffic suddenly stop in front of me, big red warning, beeping, than i stepped on the brake. My eyes popped out from the deceleration :)

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
Looks like it probably is working then, fortunately not yet been in a situation where it was needed.

silles

May 4, 2017
u can change the sensitive of the thing in the menu, I think the default is medium. try something more sensitive an see if u can make it freak out :)

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
I think the sensitivity adjustment is just for when the mild 'you are too close' warning comes up (icon of two cars with a ! between them) the loud tone, red symbol then braking action is a fixed function of your speed and distance to the car/pedestrian.

I've had one incident when it braked for me, I'd already seen the white van driver drop the cigarette in his lap - honestly! Also once when just the tone and red symbol appeared - at 60mph I'd judged the car in front turning off to perfection, but neither my wife or the Leon agreed...

weasley

May 19, 2017
South Oxfordshire
That's when mine has done it - car in front slowing to turn, I judged I could pass it without having to brake, car thought otherwise. So far just the red warning and alarm, no auto-braking... yet.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.