What alloys are you running?

bremner97

Jun 7, 2018
Hi there, (new member here)

I recently purchased a '16 plate FR in silver and I've got my eye on a couple of modifications and new alloy wheels are the top of my list. This car came equipped with the standard 17inch 5 spoke alloys which i'm not overly keen and looking to purchase some 18inch upgrades. I've got my eye on a couple of different choices but I'm very picky and unsure how they'd look. Really don't want to fork out and end up with alloys I end up disliking.

I'd love to see what some regulars are running; whether OEM or after market, for some potential ideas.

Thanks in advance

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
Hi there, (new member here)

I recently purchased a '16 plate FR in silver and I've got my eye on a couple of modifications and new alloy wheels are the top of my list. This car came equipped with the standard 17inch 5 spoke alloys which i'm not overly keen and looking to purchase some 18inch upgrades. I've got my eye on a couple of different choices but I'm very picky and unsure how they'd look. Really don't want to fork out and end up with alloys I end up disliking.

I'd love to see what some regulars are running; whether OEM or after market, for some potential ideas.

Thanks in advance
I run the Sub8/Performance/Black wheels in 19”, but I’ve always thought these 18’s are the best looking wheels for the Leon, especially when lowered...
6C3C81C1-7617-4A7F-A038-38E2F6BDE4E6.jpeg

Reactions: Wastedagen

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
IMG_7611.jpg
I'm currently running Skoda Xtreme 19's, but have sent them in to be powder coated black, so have stuck my old powder coated black 18" performance alloys on at the moment and I'm quite liking the look...

These are soon to be for sale if you are interested.... ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Wastedagen

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
I'm currently running Skoda Xtreme 19's, but have sent them in to be powder coated black, so have stuck my old powder coated black 18" performance alloys on at the moment and I'm quite liking the look...

Sorry for hijacking the thread, I love the Skoda wheels, nearly had a VRS230 instead of the Cupra.

You need to post a picture in the Leon Picture thread (sticky) to show em off, think they’d look great on a Leon. (And a chunk cheaper than the Seat 19’s!)

Reactions: ukoldschool

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
I will do once I get them back from the painters (but they were unfortunately not cheaper than seat wheels...... ;))

bremner97

Jun 7, 2018
View attachment 612 I'm currently running Skoda Xtreme 19's, but have sent them in to be powder coated black, so have stuck my old powder coated black 18" performance alloys on at the moment and I'm quite liking the look...

I must admit that’s the kind of look I’m hoping to achieve with the black, really try and darken the look; wing mirrors, front grille, tints etc

This is what I’ve half got my eye on:
https://www.lkperformance.co.uk/wheels/drc/9807-dvx-black-polished-face

https://www.lkperformance.co.uk/wheels/drc/9804-drs-black-polished

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/302523769936

As you can see there’s a recurring theme of black with a machined finish but I’m open to suggestions.

Damo H

Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
AMG c63 black edition 19X8.5 only weigh 23 pounds compared to 32 from the cupra alloys.
Is that a quoted weight or something you’ve weighed yourself? Every wheel I’ve ever weighed has been heavier than the quoted weight. The performance wheels I have aren’t as light as claimed 10kg claimed but actually they were all around the 12kg mark.

The only wheels I’ve seen weigh as much as quoted was a friend who bought some forged Rays wheels for his S2000.

rozer1974

Feb 6, 2017
wirral
Is that a quoted weight or something you’ve weighed yourself? Every wheel I’ve ever weighed has been heavier than the quoted weight. The performance wheels I have aren’t as light as claimed 10kg claimed but actually they were all around the 12kg mark.

The only wheels I’ve seen weigh as much as quoted was a friend who bought some forged Rays wheels for his S2000.
I weighed them myself the cupra wheels where a lot heaver than I thought but they are 32 pounds

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I must admit that’s the kind of look I’m hoping to achieve with the black, really try and darken the look; wing mirrors, front grille, tints etc

This is what I’ve half got my eye on:
https://www.lkperformance.co.uk/wheels/drc/9807-dvx-black-polished-face

https://www.lkperformance.co.uk/wheels/drc/9804-drs-black-polished

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/302523769936

As you can see there’s a recurring theme of black with a machined finish but I’m open to suggestions.

I would personally steer clear of diamond cut (also called machined / polished face) alloys if you’re in the UK, as they don’t fare well in winter conditions when the local authorities spread salt and grit on the roads.

Diamond cut alloys quite often succumb to white worm corrosion after 2-3 years, even if they’re meticulously maintained. They’re also more expensive to refurbish than powder coated alloys, and as the refurbishment process involves cutting away a layer or metal from the wheel face, they can usually only be refurbished a maximum of two times before structural integrity of the wheel is compromised. They also seem to be easily damaged by careless tyre fitters or poorly maintained tyre changing equipment.

@bremner97, if you do go for a diamond cut finish, consider a separate set of powder coated alloys for winter use and keep the diamond cut wheels for summer use.

Last edited:

GrayT

I'm Old
Jul 7, 2004
London
Yeah and what looks good on the screen or on the page doesn't always look best on the car. It's always good to see examples. I'm partial but I do think the oem performance alloys are some is one of the best suited designs I've seen a manufacturer come up with. When I was sourcing a used FR I was disregarding any that came without them. The plus is that mine came in 18" which fills the arch well.

Reactions: Damo H

GTunney

May 28, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne UK
View attachment 612 I'm currently running Skoda Xtreme 19's, but have sent them in to be powder coated black, so have stuck my old powder coated black 18" performance alloys on at the moment and I'm quite liking the look...

Has this been lowered at all? Anymore pics of car in another thread? It’s prettt what I’m wanting to do with mine. Black roof, wheels, wing mirrors etc.

bremner97

Jun 7, 2018
I would personally steer clear of diamond cut (also called machined / polished face) alloys if you’re in the UK, as they don’t fare well in winter conditions when the local authorities spread salt and grit on the roads.

Diamond cut alloys quite often succumb to white worm corrosion after 2-3 years, even if they’re meticulously maintained. They’re also more expensive to refurbish than powder coated alloys, and as the refurbishment process involves cutting away a layer or metal from the wheel face, they can usually only be refurbished a maximum of two times before structural integrity of the wheel is compromised. They also seem to be easily damaged by careless tyre fitters or poorly maintained tyre changing equipment.

@bremner97, if you do go for a diamond cut finish, consider a separate set of powder coated alloys for winter use and keep the diamond cut wheels for summer use.
I certainly am from the UK, quite possibly the most northerly member of this forum as I’m from Shetland, so we’re quite prone to harsher weather conditions with the salty sea air too.

Don’t know why but I’ve always been drawn towards machined alloys. My plan was to either keep the 5 spoke 17inch alloys as winters wheels or purchase a set of steels and swap round new ones for the summer. I would’ve preferred the 18’s but choice was limited with travel

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.