Fuel Consumption :-(

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
I have had start stop with a key starter and a button starter.
However, specs differ from country to country..

And the small print on both the website and the brochure says "models shown for illustration only. your car may differ from these" or words to that effect.

Quite often SEAT and SKODA brochures show interior trim colours that aren't an option in the UK for instance. They also, on both web and brochure, photoshop the exterior shots to make the wheels look big and minimise the arch gaps. Many buyers are disappointed by the reality of the rims if they have not seen their ordered spec / colour in the flesh before.

Bobbetybob

Feb 28, 2018
I got my 1.5 FR a week and a half ago and so far I'm really impressed with the MPG. I've had to do a fair few big journeys already and managed 55-57 mpg on motorway cruises which is just as good if not a bit better than my old 1.2 Hyundai i10 (6th gear and the eco cylinder shut off definitely helping). So far I've done about 420 miles per tank which is near enough the same as the i10 which had a 40 litre tank too.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Bigger motor = more economy. The 1.0 and 1.2 turbos just need thrashing more in daily life than a 1.4 or 1.5 and the mpg suffers.

CJRamze

Proud Seat Owner
Jun 29, 2008
Caldicot, South Wales
If it comes with this feature I will try it, but I have some concerns. There are many occasions that I need the car to move right when I press the gas pedal. Doesn't this feature introduce a small delay? Maybe it is small enough that most people aren't bothered, but if there is any perceptible delay then it will not match my driving style.

As a car enthusiast and someone that used to love moving quickly and keeping traffic flowing I can safely say that all my fears were removed when using the Start stop on this car, its so fast I don't worry about it at all. After a week or so you're predictions and awareness changes to take it into account and you wont worry about it at all :)

Reactions: camelspyyder

pege63

Apr 10, 2018
Borders
Try a Sun early AM trip...eg..8 am or so...with no traffic..I'm sure you can get over 40mpg in the city. 2 weeks ago I did (yes it's the same engine on the previous Ibiza, dsg 1.0Tsi 110, 17 inch 40 profile tyres) London to Manchester, 40, 50, 70 mph roads and some 50 mph roadworks...did 57 mpg average speed 93kmh. On cruise control at 70mph...instant mpg is around 48-55 mpg fluctuating. Car has 8k miles currently Esso 95 petrol. Actually I did London to Manchester to Liverpool, to Chester back to London on a tank of fuel.

Interesting, my local driving is hilly which do not help of course. Will do a trip in a weeks time and will again aim to stick to speed limits and use adaptive as much as possible (which I do anyway) so will see what happens. Milage now 2200 so shoudl be well run in, suppose some engines perform better than others aswell so might have one at the bottom end with you getting a perfect one. I certainly ran it in as per the manual.

A work mate had a Passat TDI that gave him 60+ all the time, his latest one (identical spec) give him 45/48, mind you might have something to do with emmisions...

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Given the possibility of wind and hill effected mpg, the long trip should be a there-and-back to remove those factors.

Rokki21

Feb 1, 2018
1.5 here. Done 1200 miles so far of mixed driving, giving it the beans whenever I can and I’ve got 40mpg average overall. Getting 350 miles out of full fill up.

Rowan83

Dec 5, 2017
Mine is on 1200 miles... average is 42mpg since start.

The best I have managed was on a 165 mile journey to visit family in Nottingham when i got 54mpg.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Interesting, my local driving is hilly which do not help of course. Will do a trip in a weeks time and will again aim to stick to speed limits and use adaptive as much as possible (which I do anyway) so will see what happens.

A work mate had a Passat TDI that gave him 60+ all the time, his latest one (identical spec) give him 45/48, mind you might have something to do with emmisions...

Oh yes hilly + small petrol turbo engine = very poor fuel consumption. Diesels tend to do better on hills and long motorways from my experience. Even on an 1.6TDI manual Audi A3, doing 130kmh+ on Portuguese highway..city, hills, and country road, tank's mpg was 55mpg.

the 1.5 Evo engines on low torque low throttle mode, runs 2 cylinders, the 1.0 liter still runs 3....Apparently the new Ford 1.5 EcoBoost can shut down the middle of 3 cylinders!

Cristian CH

Mar 19, 2018
If you what to get good fuel economy driving on hills there is a strategy you can use.
You don't want to "fight" the hill but use the energy you get from going downhill to slightly accelerate (over your average speed) and when the hill starts "freeze" your accelerating foot in a fixed position. In this way you force yourself to let the car slow down (a bit) and don't use extra fuel.
If the traffic is light I usually drive at around 65MPH, speed which gives me room to do this. I can easily get 59MPG on long drives. (40-45MPG on short drives)
In higher speeds (75+MPH) you get more engine RPM (more power) and you feel much less the hills.
PS: I have the 95PS engine and manual gearbox.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
If the traffic is light I usually drive at around 65MPH, speed which gives me room to do this. I can easily get 59MPG on long drives. (40-45MPG on short drives)
In higher speeds (75+MPH) you get more engine RPM (more power) and you feel much less the hills.
PS: I have the 95PS engine and manual gearbox.

Woaah, 59mpg, and only 5 gears (or do you have a 6th?). Then again the 95PS one is on paper more economical, than the higher powered one, guess it's true...

pege63

Apr 10, 2018
Borders
Which door lip seal thing did you buy?

Thanks

A basic P shape, widely available on EBay , paid £4-5 for a 5m length. Easy to fit. BUT clean with meths n preheat/warm sticky side with a hairdryer. Easiest to fit it from outside so that you get a good line. Cut at angle at start n end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pege63

Apr 10, 2018
Borders
Just done 600 miles over 3 days up the Scottish west coast across to Inverness and Elgin and then down south through the glens, you can hence imagine the type of roads. Reset all fuel logs before I left. Drove almost exclusively in S mode and used ADC most of the time. A road speed 40-65. Finished of with a blast down the motorway from Perth at ‘slightly’ above legal limit. Overall mpg in at 46.7 . Car lumbers less in S mode and I think a few hundred extra rpm seems to overall be more economical. Needless to say it’s more fun to drive too .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cristian CH

Mar 19, 2018
This is the kind of fuel consumption (60+MPG) you can get in perfect conditions.(My best one yet!) AC was on all the time on this trip.
1E161D2F-E04B-4B48-A750-A064A7337C0F.jpeg

Reactions: KXL

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
For all the reasons stated on here previously, that's not really a valid sample at only 25 miles.

Interesting mix of imperial and metric units though.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I've done a new record (oh no I hear) from central London to East London (about 5-7 miles) Sat afternoon medium/heavy start-stop traffic conditions...30mpg with AC all the way though! Outside temp was around 27-28 degrees.

Reactions: Cristian CH

ayrshiredude

Dec 2, 2017
Have to say I am really impressed with my Ibiza 1.0 115ps Fr. I generally get an average of around 55 MPG. My long term is 54.6. Some journeys where I take my time can return over 60 Mpg. Not bad though not entirely sure how acurate the readings are, its a VW so probable really getting 25 MPG :lol:

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
On the Mk5 Fuel consumption thread, the most recent poster is getting 9 or 10% less real mpg than the dashboard displays :(

Yesterday my 1.0/110 did 53 mpg one way over 107 miles and 45 mpg on the way back at the same speeds.

Just shows the effect of wind direction and undermines many of the high mpg claims seen for these crummy little turbo petrols.

paulov

May 16, 2016
Derby
Just done a 400 miles trip in my 1.5 150 bhp orange Ibiza where the majority was motorway there was a good amount of A / B roads and returned just over 48 mpg. Really pleased

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: ayrshiredude

pettythieflout

Mar 14, 2018
1.5 FR, only 700 miles run so far, best MPG was a journey of 13 miles from cold, mixed motorway/dual-carriageway/urban, driven carefully (65mph max); 58.3mpg. Very impressed.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members