Ibiza Cupra 1.8 TSI potential

Superman001

Jan 14, 2017
Paisley
As per the title I'm trying to find out as much information as possible on the 2016 Ibiza Cupra 1.8 tsi engine (EA888 1.8 gen 3)
I have done a lot of searching on the forum and Google but not come up with much.
The stage 1 remaps available range from 220bhp-252bhp which is quite a range. I know to get the 252bhp it just requires the car to be mapped on 99ron fuel as opposed to 95.

So far I've ordered a panel filter to replace the OEM paper filter as I've read the stock airbox is more than upto the task. I read somewhere that it has around 15% more capacity than the Mk7 Golf GTI's.

I basically want to get the most from a stage 1 remap but at the same time want the car to do it as easily and reliably as possible so need to know what can be improved.
1. Airflow (panel filter)
2. How restrictive is the OEM exhaust system?
3. How good is the OEM intercooler? (Is it good enough for stage 1 power)
4. How good is the OEM wastegate? (Would an after market one be more reliable, perform better?)

I know I've asked a lot of questions, its my first forced induction petrol car.

Thanks in advance.

James.

Deleted member 103408

Sorry don't know your car, if you are on a manual then you may also need to consider clutch.

Superman001

Jan 14, 2017
Paisley
Sorry don't know your car, if you are on a manual then you may also need to consider clutch.

2016 Cupra 1.8 is only available with a manual. If it's mapped correctly with consideration to low rev torque the OEM clutch should be ok. No point replacing a perfectly good clutch if it won't slip for at least 5-10k miles.

James

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Hey @Superman001 would you like me to move your post to the Ibiza section as that has much more traffic, I don't think many people look over the turbo forum.

Cheers

VeeFource

Dec 5, 2014
I'm looking at potentially going for the Ibiza 1.8 TSI from a Suzuki Swift Sport and have to say it's a bit disappointing how little this car is discussed on this forum. It's putting me off getting the car tbh as there's just too many unknowns.

From the research I've done on the car it sounds like a lot of people were put off mapping it due to turbo failures on some of the earlier cars. Don't know if they were just one off anomalies though.

Superman001

Jan 14, 2017
Paisley
I'm looking at potentially going for the Ibiza 1.8 TSI from a Suzuki Swift Sport and have to say it's a bit disappointing how little this car is discussed on this forum. It's putting me off getting the car tbh as there's just too many unknowns.

From the research I've done on the car it sounds like a lot of people were put off mapping it due to turbo failures on some of the earlier cars. Don't know if they were just one off anomalies though.

I've not heard of any turbo failures with the EA888 gen 3 engine. It's also used in the Leon FR, Audi A1, Polo gti etc.
As far as I know the IS12 turbo is good upto 270bhp, any more and you are looking at the IS20 from the Golf GTI which is good up to 335bhp and after that the IS38 from the Leon Cupra/S3/Golf R which is good upto 370bhp. I was originally trying to find out how strong the standard internals are. I think I'm only going to bother going stage 1, 240bhp/380nm should be plenty in the Ibiza Cupra.

john2017

john2017
Jan 1, 2008
Leicestershire
From what I have viewed and read the Cupra 1.8 tsi has a very aggressive throttle map as testers have found difficulty putting power down. Revo detail this if you look at information. I think it's more important to consider torque than bhp and I think the gearbox would be safe to at least 400 nm / 300 lb ft.

You might find this site information regarding ea888 gen 3 helpful:

https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=118

Hope this helps?

Reactions: Skoust
Feb 8, 2020
Can an is20/ is38 be run worth the standard down pipe / cat and exhaust?
I really want to go down this route too in the future but the wife told me she doesn’t want it to be any louder. She kicked off when I put the ram air intake on !!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.