Tell

Updating the inbuilt Mib2 Satnav / Mib2 tricks and Mib1

JimH

Cupra 300 ST DSG 4Drive
May 23, 2015
Norwich, UK
The underlying "Here" map data can be updated here https://mapcreator.here.com/ on a "crowdsourced" basis. Whilst SEAT (especially UK) and Here maps/Navigation.com between them seem to have exceptionally long update/release processes for OEM SatNav's, and the lack of Mapcare in the UK is well documented none of this will, even if improved, reflect map updates if the source data is still out of date.

I've spent quote some time updating my local area, sparked off when taxis couldn't find my house and it turned out that my postcode was linked to the street behind mine, but which is over a mile's drive to reach by road. This has now been fixed in the Here maps app, and also the taxi booking systems that use this map data that dynamically update..

It's worth getting on there and making your own updates - they aren't "live" but are checked, approved, and batch-released by Here from time to time....

Last edited:
Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Quite:). I'm a great map updater and remover of rubbish on maps. We'll do our bit if Seat UK do theirs. Currently by not supporting Mapcare they aren't supporting crowd sourcing.

(Why I was trying to get Irnbru to identify the bit of road for checking since it became a moving feast, the country is divided into segments for validation. Probe tracers are used to identify sections of roads where vehicles travel but there arent roads. Lorry drivers can report back via their apps of incorrect signage, automated approaches are used for validation via map inspection which is why one knows that some Google Maps don't tally with OS base level data. Then Google procedures are rubbish at getting things changed since they put it back out to the community to decide on something that is fundamentally incorrect although you could take a picture of the road sign or use their Street view to prove a point... if you can't do that your stuck in a community validation process)

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
On a related subject of users POIs some good news after VW pulled the site there is a program which can be used - Point Inspector. People have been trashing about in boards but I've got this one working via the developer sorting out the MIB2 High side it may well have already been working for the standard unit. You can check with a small selection of records before paying 9 Euros. It reads GPX, ASC etc. Got to get your icons scaled correctly, siblings across the route, not down and it will toggle the warbles on. It is an easy program to use. I'll add a bit more documentation over on that thread. So it's a god send as they say.

https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....ed-the-update-site-again.444799/#post-4779582

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
Sorry to jump in at the end here, but is there a reliable, proven way to update maps on MIB1 units?

Thanks

Tell

Staff member
Sorry to jump in at the end here, but is there a reliable, proven way to update maps on MIB1 units?

Thanks

Handing money over to your dealer although some people would say it's unproven. There is no proven Mib1 workaround. Some people had success many didn't. They bought eBay card but they couldn't do it themselves. That's all up to 2016.

Mib2 Standard unit workaround was sorted in 2016 - that does everything. There is a Mib2 Plus workaround which is technical, updates every thing other than the maps but better than nothing. Will do the built in Poi's, voice, 3D art, warnings etc. That should work for the SSD Mib1 - it's all the same upload for the Mib1 / 2 High units (Plus in Seat lingo).

There was the guy from East Europe that was offering to take Mib1 unit standard ones and fix them for a price. By sending it to E Europe. People asked him to publish his work so others could do it. He didnt appear again, said it was too technical for DIY. Didn't name a price. Generally the unit upgrades and modification (tinkering with the inside) are pretty expensive and if not completed correctly they don't work. I think that's appeared on the thread as well.

Basically you have a problem if you have mib1, have to splash the cash. Seat UK should be offering Mapcare and should have done that for years so it's DIY.

Last edited:
Reactions: Walone and KoNG

Tell

Staff member
Well we seem to be off on the map update cycle now for 2018/2019 (otherwise called the June release).

The VW site I was looking at for the MIB2High (Plus) doesn't have it up but then they seem to be running late having re-released the 2018 Map file in January 2018 two months after the first, so they may well have pushed their publication date back (that one was identical although called version 2). The Russian's have been looking at the server sites and MIB2High one for 2018 / 2019 is available via the the Skoda site not VW.

https://www.drive2.ru/l/503755546990477867/

So the update for the 166 is 169 and the download link is this (this is not the file for the standard unit)

2018 / 2019 MIB2 High (Plus) 169 Release

http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/HIGH12_P169_EU_2018_2019.zip

I haven't tried it yet and if you haven't got mapcare you have to do the the technical partial update. The release was being talked about on a German Ateca board.

-------

2018 / 2019 MIB2 Standard

Edit see post 1005 below.

It's possible that the standard one is on the Skoda servers.

The 2018 November release for the standard is this (ECE 2018 EU1)

http://vw-mapscdn.tdd.adacorcdn.com/0915_MP171-1284.xEUR1.7z

on the Skoda servers for 2017 / 20118 it was this

http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/STD2_820_EU1_201718.zip

So we're looking for something above 0915.... for most of you guys for Europe zone 1

We're looking for

http://infotainment-cdn.skoda-auto.com/base/maps/STD2_???_EU1_201819.zip

where ??? is the series number - best guess
??? > 0915

Reckon it will be in the 1000s myself assuming they don't change the file locations and numbering.

Best to keep an eye on Skoda boards for the MIB2 Amundsen 2018 / 2019 EU1 and that will be they. Think the VW release will be latter... Seat after that...

Edit see post 1005 below.

Last edited:

Rocco

Jan 10, 2018
The Netherlands
I can confirm the link above for the 2018/2019 MIB2 High (Plus) 169 Release works. Update takes around 45 minutes.
According to the Skoda web site (at least the Dutch one), the update for the Standard system is scheduled for release in August.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Thanks Rocco. I found probably six posts yesterday saying it was working, about half Russian. Had my normal poke about inside the files to see what was what.... my partial update approach later. Lucky you being able to buy Mapcare in your location for the Mib2 High.

I did have a look for the standard version yesterday but to no avail. That ones not being talked about on the internet yet with a location. I didn't hit on any correct file numbers but the range is bigger unless anyone has cracked the number order. Think I'll leave that one to standard mib2 owners :). It's going to be the testing cycle so the latter one I guess is still in it or they haven't got round to putting it on their servers yet.

I've done my partial update now... that takes about 15 minutes... I might have another session of looking for a workaround for the plus, a bit further than where I got to before. Iceland is a good country to experiment with since it's small :). I don't want to mess it up as I did before.

Last edited:

Jim45

Apr 27, 2018
Quick put possibly stupid question, I have a facelift Leon FR (2017 model).

Do I have the MIB2 standard or MIB2 high?

I assume if you didn’t order the car with the High as an option you will have the standard as I have on my 2018 FR

simaservis1108

Jan 4, 2018
Why do people write that Seat Navigation Plus has HDD/SSD inside when it doesnt have any of those two?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocco

Jan 10, 2018
The Netherlands
Navi Plus has an internal SSD drive to store the navigation maps. 11Gb is available to store audio files. (referred to as 'Jukebox' in the manual)
An SD card is used to transfer map updates to the internal SSD

simaservis1108

Jan 4, 2018
I dont know why they call it HDD/SSD.It is an eMMC.But I guess nobody went deep as I did inside :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.