AEB triggered by a leaf?!

Cerfwo

Feb 10, 2018
Earlier today while driving down a straight single road I suddenly heard the AEB beep, warning graphic on screen and a jolt on the brakes. I was driving approximately 15mph with no obstacles in front of me. The car didn't bring me to a stop but slowed me down to about 6-8mph.

The only thing I noticed was a leaf blowing from left to right about 2-3m in front of me across the road around lower-leg height. Is it possible that the AEB was triggered by something as small as a leaf? I suppose it may have looked like a pedestrian's legs to the limited view of the radar sensor?

Interested to hear anyone else's AEB stories! I sometimes have the emergency brakes activate by speed reducing measures where you have to swerve around an island in the middle of the road; as you head towards the island it must think you're about to crash.

I am very thankful for the AEB though, it has saved my bacon at least once, in that situation it was a rainy day, I wasn't braking hard enough and approaching stationary traffic ahead.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Well there you go, leaves can stop trains so why not cars - it is ice/snow that annoys me with the parking sensors on my cars, which strangely like leaves, is another "thing" that we can expect to encounter when we are out and about!

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Have a friend who drove a car with the AEB, not a Seat though, on a windy day and a paper / plastic bag blew head on..and the car slammed the brakes...and the car behind almost rammed into the back of him, as the driver behind according to my friend, was 'looking ahead' at the traffic, and there were no obstacles nor cars in front hitting the brakes.

ayrshiredude

Dec 2, 2017
i did a motorway drive in snow and got an error message the whole way, the front of the car was covered in snow. It was ok after that melted.

ljrw94

Jan 22, 2018
I've had a few issues with mine coming on incorrectly, tried disabling it once and it generates a warning icon on the dash. It then re-enabled itself after turning the car off and back on doh. Dropping off the car to Seat tomorrow so will see what they say

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.