2003 electrical issues

kris1983

Nov 23, 2014
Hi everyone im looking for info on issues im having. I drove to work as normal this morning with no issues, but after work i couldn't unlock the car with the remote and noticed the rear tail lights were on but not the front side lights. After using the key in the door lock to gain access in to the car i checked the light switch was off and it was. I tried unlock the rest of the doors using the interior unlock button, they click but the dead lock isnt disengaging but the boot unlocks. When trying to start car the fuel pump can be heard priming but nothing else happens not even a starter motor click . The lights come on the dash come on as normal when the key is turned to ON, strangely tho all the guages are showing a reading even when ignition is turned off and the battery is disconnected (dials say im doing 15mph and 600rpm and temp guage is at 1 quarter) Before disconnecting the battery i tried to bump start the engine and was easily successful (it ran lumpy for a few secs then ticked over below normal rpm and battery light stays dimly illuminated) but the accelerator pedal was not working. Iv searched google and this forum but Im stumped, car is a 2003 1.8 20vt auq engine if that helps. Any ideas are very much appreciated.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
New battery seems to have solved the issue at the moment.
Alternator about to die is my guess, new battery will work but only for a while, battery light on dash is showing you an issue with charge. Dim light is weak current on most cars so again I'm gonna guess and say the 1.8t is the same. Are the connections clean and tight? Bad connection can do this, bad earth? Need to check mate.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

kris1983

Nov 23, 2014
Alternator about to die is my guess, new battery will work but only for a while, battery light on dash is showing you an issue with charge. Dim light is weak current on most cars so again I'm gonna guess and say the 1.8t is the same. Are the connections clean and tight? Bad connection can do this, bad earth? Need to check mate.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Battery connections were perfect and lightly greased, il check the connection to chassis and alternater output tomorrow after work. Thanks for the advice.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.