Where to start?

Pete-mojsh

Feb 26, 2018
I picked up my FR last week, it's got a few marks on the paintwork but nothing major and I would like to keep it looking clean. Now my daughter is 18 months old and it's bright for longer I can actually have some time to clean it properly.

My thoughts;

Get off any bugs and tar - product to be bought
Wash thoroughly - meguiars
Polish every 4 months - autoglym srp
Wax (every couple of months?) - meguiars carnuba
Wheels are powder coated black so was thinking a thorough clean then use some C5
Interior - need to buy some more products but general hoovering and something to look after the plastics, leather and alcantara
Possibly some autosol on the exhaust

Anything I've missed or any recommendations?

ChrisFRTP

May 24, 2018
Prewash - something like snow foam or a citrus pre wash should work at getting some of those muck and bugs off. Leave it to dwell then jet wash or hose it off.
Wash - Use a wash mitt NOT a sponge. Get 2 buckets, 1 with water to rinse clean your mitt and the other to have your soap in.
Drying - Use a drying towel, if you have a chamois leather, bin it.

Only polish as often as you NEED to, polishing, especially with one that contains abrasives will wear your paint down. Adopting the above techniques and drying method should minimise the need to polish in the first place.
Wax - yes, a good wash should help keep the car clean and also make it easier to just jetwash the nasty stuff off of it. The more dirt you can get off before using your mitt the better.

Wheels - iron fallout remove and wash should get the thick of it off then yes c5 should be good, i've just got some wheel wax to try out for the first time!

Interior - funny one tbh, preference but try not to get a cheap nasty product that is going to make everything look wet and sticky.

You can use a clay bar too but I have no experience using one so won't pretend i know how to use it!

Pete-mojsh

Feb 26, 2018
Two buckets, mitt and drying towel are already bought but I hadn't considered a citrus pre wash, any particular ones to look for?

I don't think I'll ever have time for a clay bar so that won't be an issue.

Interior is a funny one, never been a fan of wipes, may need to look in to that a little more.

ChrisFRTP

May 24, 2018
My favourite is Valet Pro Citrus Pre wash mate, pletnty reviews around if you google or YouTube it.

Never felt the need to clay bar my cars so never bothered learning haha and the interior is a nightmare, I hate doing it!

Pete-mojsh

Feb 26, 2018
I want to get a decent selection of products, my wife has a T Roc on order that we're waiting for a build date for and I would like to keep that looking nice inside and out as well. She "cleaned" her Sportage last weekend and seemed to miss about 30% of it so I think I'll need to look after that for her. We end up visiting clients for work quite a bit and I hate turning up in a filthy car.

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
I use mad cow mango sauce for all interior plastics / surfaces - can’t recommend it enough (and the smell is amazing)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trout

Feb 28, 2018
As a user, I can't speak highly enough about Bilt Hamber products. Their Pre-wash/snow foam is by far the best I have ever used and at 4% dilution applied via a ("garden") pump pressure sprayer, very economical indeed. Not the thickest foam (if that's your thing) but the best for cleaning power.
As for wax try Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax at £15, depending on conditions you may get 6 months out of it. It will last much longer if the paint is cleaned first with Cleanser-Fluid (nit to be confused with Cleanser-Polish). This rule would of course apply to any brand of wax or sealant as it is to do with bonding to the actual paint and not on top of a polish.

Trout

Feb 28, 2018
A couple of other recommendations I would give are Kenotek for bug remover and for wheels, the very easy to use Raceglaze nano wheel sealant.

ChrisFRTP has given you some very sound advice regarding polishing and you will do well to heed it.

Pete-mojsh

Feb 26, 2018
I've made a few purchases, it's had one snow foam wash and dry but needs a deeper clean so I need time to do it and it to be a bit cooler.

The collection so far;

Meguiars gold class shampoo
Autobrite snow foam lance, currently have the magifoam but will be getting anianot to try
Autoglym bug and tar remover
Autoglym magma fallout remover
2 x buckets and mitts
Loads of microfibre cloths
Drying towel
Autoglym super resin polish
Chemical guys butter wax
Auto finesse interior cleaner

I'll probably get another drying towel, some different snow foam and some glass polish before I do a proper clean, I'd like to give it a quick wash before I go on holiday next week to keep it from getting too dirty, it's already covered in bugs.

CustardKing93

Apr 25, 2018
bringing up an oldish thread but you should check out CleanYourRide on instagram! It's a man who buys all these random products and reviews them, puts all the pictures and videos on instagram foir everyone to see, he has a full website in which you can buy small sample bottles of most of the products hes tested and then if you like them you can always purchase the full bottle. bought a few things from him and they always arrive quickly

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise