Stereo fitting

MrBone

Aug 27, 2007
First the aux cable mod - If you only have rear aux socket on your new radio, and you still want to use the aux input in the centre consul just behind the cup holders, this can be achieved by making an adapter cable. After removal of original stereo, take a look at the big block quadlock connector, and the blue section of it in particular - see top left of this pic:

HARNESS_zpsdb42cf5f.jpg

The blue plug can be removed from the main connector by pressing the tab on the back. Once this has been done, you need to remove the blue part, leaving a simple 12 pin socket:

IMAG0540_zps465cb301.jpg

On the back of this connector are 3 wires, one is the earth (Black wire on the bottom row of 6 pins) and the other two are the L + R audio signals (white and purple wires next to eachother on the top row of 6 pins) - if you look on the sticker on the top of your old original radio, you can see these pin connections marked in the diagram.

Next up, you need to get hold of a 12 pin quadlock header: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-headers/7183739/

Then, take a standard stereo 3.5mm jack aux lead, and chop one end off, expose and strip the ends of the earth, and L+R ends, and solder onto the connector paying careful attention that the connections match up to the wiring config on the 12 pin connector in the car - I had to re-solder mine twice because I got it wrong! And you should end up with something looking like this:

IMAG0533_zpsba6f338a.jpg

IMAG0532_zps13693993.jpg

Then, before using insulating/electrical tape to cover your handywork, test it with your new radio config to check it works ok. Plug the new connector into the now separated black 12 pin connector in the car:

IMAG0544_zps26d2e550.jpg

Wire up your new radio, plug the 3.5mm jack end of your new cable into the rear aux socket on new radio, then plug in your phone/ipod etc. into the centre consul socket as usual, select the aux input mode on your new radio and crank it up!

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
First the aux cable mod - If you only have rear aux socket on your new radio, and you still want to use the aux input in the centre consul just behind the cup holders, this can be achieved by making an adapter cable. After removal of original stereo, take a look at the big block quadlock connector, and the blue section of it in particular - see top left of this pic:

HARNESS_zpsdb42cf5f.jpg

The blue plug can be removed from the main connector by pressing the tab on the back. Once this has been done, you need to remove the blue part, leaving a simple 12 pin socket:

IMAG0540_zps465cb301.jpg

On the back of this connector are 3 wires, one is the earth (Black wire on the bottom row of 6 pins) and the other two are the L + R audio signals (white and purple wires next to eachother on the top row of 6 pins) - if you look on the sticker on the top of your old original radio, you can see these pin connections marked in the diagram.

Next up, you need to get hold of a 12 pin quadlock header: http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/pcb-headers/7183739/

Then, take a standard stereo 3.5mm jack aux lead, and chop one end off, expose and strip the ends of the earth, and L+R ends, and solder onto the connector paying careful attention that the connections match up to the wiring config on the 12 pin connector in the car - I had to re-solder mine twice because I got it wrong! And you should end up with something looking like this:

IMAG0533_zpsba6f338a.jpg

IMAG0532_zps13693993.jpg

Then, before using insulating/electrical tape to cover your handywork, test it with your new radio config to check it works ok. Plug the new connector into the now separated black 12 pin connector in the car:

IMAG0544_zps26d2e550.jpg

Wire up your new radio, plug the 3.5mm jack end of your new cable into the rear aux socket on new radio, then plug in your phone/ipod etc. into the centre consul socket as usual, select the aux input mode on your new radio and crank it up!

thats a quality "how to" it might be good to do a new post just of this as it could be useful to a lot of people

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
got busy with the jigsaw yesterday will put more on my build thread once its all done for now couple of tasters built a wider box for the JL 13

& with the false floor

if any one wants the box for the pioneer 12 let me know or its on its way to the tip ! & sorry for all the rubbish that lurks in the bottom of my boot space !

MM

Apr 4, 2011
woodford green
That's a nice clean install. Is it hard to get to the spare wheel? All iv got is a plywood box ......needs carpeting lol

not to bad the amp tilts towards the back of the boot & the box will up end towards the back seat

i hope i dont have to do it to often thou , carpet btw makes things look a lot better !

mm

MrBone

Aug 27, 2007
well, its been a while but the car is still going strong, and the pioneer avh-x3500 dab has been brilliant for the last year, no troubles at all. So time then for a further upgrade - gps! Not wanting to pay the ridiculous £350 for the official pioneer GPS add on unit (they are having a laugh!) I have sourced a far cheaper alternative via aliexpress.com loaded with igo primo maps and has the appropriate multi pin pioneer connector. As soon as my shipment from China arrives, I'll add some pics of fitting/testing. Have fingers crossed - not looking forward to having to stuff even more wires down the back of the head unit ;-)

MrBone

Aug 27, 2007
My whole ICE install is now up for sale. It is time to say goodbye to the Altea XL, trading it in, but removed it all. Pioneer X3500DAB head unit, cage, harness + connects2 harness for steering wheel controls - modified to accommodate power and mute control to the included GPS module + Igo mapping. Also my home-made cable to connect up the aux in socket (see above thread for details) Microphone included, GPS cable, FM booster and correct fakra adaptor, 4x Infinity reference 6502ix speakers with switchable HF boost and directional tweeters (boxes and OEM infinity grills included), 4x Golf Mk5 modified speaker adaptors - required to fit the speakers into the doors using original fittings, 4x speaker adaptor cables (to connect speakers into SEAT loom) with the wires cut to disable SEAT tweeters (simple reconnect if you want to use the original tweeters - but you won't ;-) Double din genuine SEAT facia adaptor + all required clips. Original head unit instructions included and loom is well labelled so you know where to connect everything. Everything works 100% and the sound is nothing short of fantastic. The only thing you would need to complete is a new DAB antenna, as it was impossible to remove without destroying it. Will try and post this in a few more places, but if you're interested, please drop me a line - ta.

Pics on below link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pDF5-sTFSEW3GjEqaJy7Vkfqhbz6ru0V/view?usp=sharing

MrBone

Aug 27, 2007
This is listed in the Parts for Sale area, but if no interest I will be splitting up and ebay-ing it next couple of days. Would be a shame to split it up but hey ho.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members