Dashcam or Not

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
Anyone got a Dashcam hardwired in their Cupra? I’m thinking of getting one fitted and wanted to gauge the Pro’s and Con’s that people have come across and also which Dashcam is the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IrnBru

Apr 4, 2018
Anyone got a Dashcam hardwired in their Cupra? I’m thinking of getting one fitted and wanted to gauge the Pro’s and Con’s that people have come across and also which Dashcam is the best.

Pros: Catch people driving like idiots, and good for when things go tits up.

Cons: None

Nextbase is a good company, I've had my nextbase dash cam for over 3 years now, I think it's the nextbase 512 Pro, but it's been updated now and they have many others to choose from at all different price points.

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
Nextbase is a good company, I've had my nextbase dash cam for over 3 years now, I think it's the nextbase 512 Pro, but it's been updated now and they have many others to choose from at all different price points.

I was looking at a Nextbase 512 myself. Is your hardwired in?

IrnBru

Apr 4, 2018
I was looking at a Nextbase 512 myself. Is your hardwired in?

It had been hardwired into my previous car, my juke (for 3 years) But only having my Leon FR ST the last 9 weeks I haven't got round to hardwire it yet so it's currently been routed to the rear where the 12v socket is in the boot, yes the cable is that long lol. But I wouldn't drive without one now, far too many idiots on the road.

vikram soni

Jul 19, 2018
Look at Garmin 55 also, I am using it and it has very nice video quality 1440p/30fps, 1080p/60fps with decent low light quality.
Additionally it has voice control, time-lapse, collision alert, lane departure warning, radar map which alerts you when you are near proximity of any radar. ( it has unique alert sound for these feature so you don't have to look at the cam everytime). Don't buy the wide-angle one.

Reactions: Crumpy

zedlor

Aug 24, 2017
Warrington
I've got a 312GW hardwired into my Cupra, caught a crash couple of months later!

I always forget to do anything with the footage and people being :censored: on the road...worth it though.

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
I've got a mobius (Remember them?) that I brought over from my last car wired into the fusebox. The Mrs has a nextbase 212 which paid for itself when a white van went round a roundabout in the wrong lane, hit her nearside rear and drove off. The cam caught his reg number and was instrumental in the claim going no blame her way as the policy holder of the van refused to talk to their insurance company.

If you go for a discrete one permanently stuck to the windscreen and not using a sucker fixing then you'll never notice it.

Sent from my SM-J510F using Tapatalk

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
I've had one hardwired in for a while on my cupra with no issues. It's a small and discrete enough to fit behind rear mirror and is not visible from drivers seat. My cam has parking mode with battery monitor which is all I wanted from the cam. Easy to wire in with fuse taps.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
I have one wired in (Koonlung K1S). It’s discreet, records 24/7 and it’s helped with a few crashes it’s caught on camera, a number plate thief and even proved the person who rear ended me was on their phone.

Money well spent!

Biker

Oct 6, 2003
Northumberland
Visit site
Watch the video if you are in any doubt about the merits of a dashcam. This accident happened to me in 2013, I was interviewed by the police and the officer didn't believe a word of my version of events. Had I not been able to produce the video, I would have been prosecuted for this.

Reactions: Lmbarrett83

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
I've.got the nextbase 312 hardwired in my fr. With the windscreen suction mount it still just about sits behind the mirror but is barely noticeable from the outside.

Not caught anything of note on it yet but worth having should the worst happen and it's not your fault.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

Forum Sponsor
Sep 27, 2016
Hi,
Just to let you know that a number of our insurance schemes give premium discounts for the fitment of a HD dash cam.
Regards,
Dan.

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
I've had one hardwired in for a while on my cupra with no issues. It's a small and discrete enough to fit behind rear mirror and is not visible from drivers seat. My cam has parking mode with battery monitor which is all I wanted from the cam. Easy to wire in with fuse taps.

Was it easy to fit and hide all the wires? Which model Cupra you got it fitted in?

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
Had I not been able to produce the video, I would have been prosecuted

Bang out of order that!!! I like a bit of cycling and as a driver too I can see both sides in the debate over the road... I hope the cyclist had to pay for any damage to your car and was fined for his actions..

kiddo

ST Cupra
May 30, 2015
Lancashire
Was it easy to fit and hide all the wires? Which model Cupra you got it fitted in?
It was a doddle to fit. Remove the a pillar trim to tuck the cable out of sight and drop nicely in behind the glove box where switched and perm live connections can be found. I've got a my16 cupra st 280 but can't see there being any major differences between my's on the 5f in relation to fuse box layout. A multimeter, trim removal tool and fuse taps was all I needed.

kazand

Is powered by Medtronics
Jun 6, 2010
Brum
Got a 512GW in Leon, was hard wired (easy peasy) in previous Cupra, only had this a week so currently temporary wired bit will get round to it shortly.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Got a 512GW in Leon, was hard wired (easy peasy) in previous Cupra, only had this a week so currently temporary wired bit will get round to it shortly.

I'm thinking of getting either the 412GW or 512GW. I like the idea of the magnetic mount so I can remove it when I get out the car. I realise parking mode would be great, but I know a couple of people who've had their front windows smashed and their dashcams stolen!

When you said you hard wired to your Cupra did you mean the MK2? I assume you went headlining then down A pillar? Does the A pillar just pry off? Sorry, know it's MK3 section, but not many left with MK2s now to ask.

stressfree

Jul 26, 2018
Hardwire takes no more than 30 minutes, Buy the Nextbase hardwire kit, it has everything you will need. There is also a guide somewhere here. All my cars have dashcams, removes the hassle of proving your side of the story. Regarding the actual dashcam, the are some goods ones that will not cost a fortune. I have AUKEY DR02 (60ish) and video quality is very good. More you pay, more functions you will get.

CUPRoAr

Oct 7, 2017
Watch the video if you are in any doubt about the merits of a dashcam. This accident happened to me in 2013, I was interviewed by the police and the officer didn't believe a word of my version of events. Had I not been able to produce the video, I would have been prosecuted for this.

What the hell? Did the cyclist claim you had hit him?

Reactions: SparkyP
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.