Cleaning headlights inside

SueFR

Doncaster
Mar 16, 2015
Doncaster
Hey

Anyone done a headlight clean inside? How easy is it? How do you dismantle the headlight
I have one headlight which is a mess from condensation marks so want to clean it up

Priezti

Auto-Electrical Monkey!
Feb 11, 2009
Doncaster
Hey,

I've not done it but from what I'm aware, if it's like most cars and specifically the 6L Ibiza, it's bumper off to remove the headlights, then when I've seen people modding their front lights, they actually put them in the oven for the bond between the body and plastic to soften up, you then need the right type of tape to rebond them together. Not a quick or easy job really :( Mine could do with sorting but they're not terrible so I'll leave it a while.

Hello follow Doncastrian :p

SueFR

Doncaster
Mar 16, 2015
Doncaster
doncaster train?

Yeah I know with removing bumper Iv done that enough with new headlights and messing about to and throw.
My concern was how to get into them. I don’t want to oven them I’ll end up ruining them

Hey,

I've not done it but from what I'm aware, if it's like most cars and specifically the 6L Ibiza, it's bumper off to remove the headlights, then when I've seen people modding their front lights, they actually put them in the oven for the bond between the body and plastic to soften up, you then need the right type of tape to rebond them together. Not a quick or easy job really :( Mine could do with sorting but they're not terrible so I'll leave it a while.

Hello follow Doncastrian :p
aster

pyro

May 31, 2018
Hampshire
Mine had a fair amount of water in them as the previous owner had left the cap off the back. Got some isopropyl alcohol and tipped a good glug of that into the headlight and shook it about a bit. It clears the water out and takes a fair amount of any grime and other gunk that's in there on the inside surface of the lens, too. Worked a treat but I also needed to buy a new indicator bulb as it broke from all the shaking.

SueFR

Doncaster
Mar 16, 2015
Doncaster
Mine had a fair amount of water in them as the previous owner had left the cap off the back. Got some isopropyl alcohol and tipped a good glug of that into the headlight and shook it about a bit. It clears the water out and takes a fair amount of any grime and other gunk that's in there on the inside surface of the lens, too. Worked a treat but I also needed to buy a new indicator bulb as it broke from all the shaking.
Where can I get that stuff from?
Guessing you removed all the bulbs before doing this ?

pyro

May 31, 2018
Hampshire
Where can I get that stuff from?
Guessing you removed all the bulbs before doing this ?

A hardware store should sell it, or ebay.

I actually left all my bulbs in, although I did need to replace an indicator afterwards, probably because of all the shaking.

SueFR

Doncaster
Mar 16, 2015
Doncaster
Thanks
I’ll try hardware store! I googled and it said chemist too??

Just the ball ache of taking full bumper off and headlights out lol

pyro

May 31, 2018
Hampshire
I'd imagine as long as it's pure isopropyl (usually says 99% on the label) it shouldn't matter where it's from.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.