what did you and your mk3 leon do today

ukoldschool

Apr 12, 2012
So.... I've had a DTUK CRD3+ tuning box on my 184 Fr for a while now, and as anyone that's had one will testify, they transform the car like no other mod BUT..... they are incredibly frustrating as they quite often throw a coil light and put the car into limp mode, which for me means 60 miles of struggling not to get hit by lorries on fast A roads and Motorways.... so its a love/hate relationship. I love it when it works, but I hate it with a passion any other time... ill often take it out completely, vowing never to ever put it back on, but then I give in...

Anyways, DTUK are pretty useless at giving anyone any actual advise on what to do to try and combat this well documented phenomenon (its common on all the 184 engines from VW/Audi/SEAT and Skoda), usually spouting some spurious nonsense about 'each engine is different' and 'well it never did it on our test mule' etc..

So I've had to do a bit of digging myself about why it happens, mainly after a very frustrating week where the car just cut out at a roundabout, coil light on, and wouldn't restart, cue trying to push it and steer with no power assistance etc (we've all been there in our youth when we drove sh1tboxes, but I don't expect to have to do it in a 3 year old car) and it is not only annoying, its downright dangerous. Its absolutely 100% the fault of the tuning box, which seems to have been mapped in such a way that the standard boost sensor reports an error which locks down the whole system. even removing the box doesn't clear the fault... the only way is to either let the car cycle through a number of ignition on/off's (and there is no way to try and do this yourself as it seems random how long it takes) or to plug in a laptop via VCDS and clear the DTC'.s Even using this last approach I cleared down the DTC's last week, started the car, pulled off the drive and the coil light went, leaving me stranded blocking the middle of the road outside my own house...

Its worth pointing out that I bought the unit second hand from here (it came with the receipt), and that I have tried running with a large combinations of all the different settings (1, 2, 3, +1, +2 etc)....

So I have now purchased a brand new boost sensor and have fitted that and put the box back on set on 1 + 1 and will see how long it lasts for....

Matt

Apr 27, 2016
So.... I've had a DTUK CRD3+ tuning box on my 184 Fr for a while now, and as anyone that's had one will testify, they transform the car like no other mod BUT..... they are incredibly frustrating as they quite often throw a coil light and put the car into limp mode, which for me means 60 miles of struggling not to get hit by lorries on fast A roads and Motorways.... so its a love/hate relationship. I love it when it works, but I hate it with a passion any other time... ill often take it out completely, vowing never to ever put it back on, but then I give in...

Anyways, DTUK are pretty useless at giving anyone any actual advise on what to do to try and combat this well documented phenomenon (its common on all the 184 engines from VW/Audi/SEAT and Skoda), usually spouting some spurious nonsense about 'each engine is different' and 'well it never did it on our test mule' etc..

So I've had to do a bit of digging myself about why it happens, mainly after a very frustrating week where the car just cut out at a roundabout, coil light on, and wouldn't restart, cue trying to push it and steer with no power assistance etc (we've all been there in our youth when we drove sh1tboxes, but I don't expect to have to do it in a 3 year old car) and it is not only annoying, its downright dangerous. Its absolutely 100% the fault of the tuning box, which seems to have been mapped in such a way that the standard boost sensor reports an error which locks down the whole system. even removing the box doesn't clear the fault... the only way is to either let the car cycle through a number of ignition on/off's (and there is no way to try and do this yourself as it seems random how long it takes) or to plug in a laptop via VCDS and clear the DTC'.s Even using this last approach I cleared down the DTC's last week, started the car, pulled off the drive and the coil light went, leaving me stranded blocking the middle of the road outside my own house...

Its worth pointing out that I bought the unit second hand from here (it came with the receipt), and that I have tried running with a large combinations of all the different settings (1, 2, 3, +1, +2 etc)....

So I have now purchased a brand new boost sensor and have fitted that and put the box back on set on 1 + 1 and will see how long it lasts for....

Hi I have had sort of the same thing happen on my cupra 300 lot of times over a 5week period. From what i have been told by DTUK is its the + on what ever program you have it on, I tried it on all programs with +1 and 2, plus 2 was worse than one, The higher the plus more fuel get put in (sort of) anyway try it on zero, which mine is at the moment and it has been fine for the last 3days, There is no zero number but just put it on any program and leave the + and - off which means it will be on zero with no light on. Hope that makes sence.

Basso

Jun 28, 2018
Hi I have had sort of the same thing happen on my cupra 300 lot of times over a 5week period. From what i have been told by DTUK is its the + on what ever program you have it on, I tried it on all programs with +1 and 2, plus 2 was worse than one, The higher the plus more fuel get put in (sort of) anyway try it on zero, which mine is at the moment and it has been fine for the last 3days, There is no zero number but just put it on any program and leave the + and - off which means it will be on zero with no light on. Hope that makes sence.
Considering this for my Cupra ST 300 DSG.

Which settings do you find the best? Best compromise between economy and power?

Deleted member 103408

There are certainly dongles that work with iPhone, OBD11 is only Android, Carista is Both Android and Apple, just need to make sure they can clear codes not just read them.

jka

Cupra 300 DSG
Mar 27, 2017
Sweden
Had the DTUK on my Cupra 300 now for about a month, tested it on all 3 maps (on zero setting). I like the map 3 the most as the boost come in later (after 3000rpm). i dont feel like i want more than the zero setting. no issues so far.

FYI even the -3 will give more boost than the zero setting.

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
Had the DTUK on my Cupra 300 now for about a month, tested it on all 3 maps (on zero setting). I like the map 3 the most as the boost come in later (after 3000rpm). i dont feel like i want more than the zero setting. no issues so far.

FYI even the -3 will give more boost than the zero setting.
Seriously considering one of these rather than a remap. I like the fact that it can be taken back off easily enough. sounds like you would recommend? are they easy to fit/ change settings etc?

Was also considering a Bluefin but the map on them seems too conservative

jka

Cupra 300 DSG
Mar 27, 2017
Sweden
Seriously considering one of these rather than a remap. I like the fact that it can be taken back off easily enough. sounds like you would recommend? are they easy to fit/ change settings etc?

Was also considering a Bluefin but the map on them seems too conservative

I chose DTUK for the same reason, so i can take it off easy. only problem i had so far was the last sensor underneath the car that i forgot to push in first then out. But Andrew and Dtuk has blazing fast support so he could advice me during install :D

Map 1 the car is an absolute beast, kick hard at about 1500 rmp
Map 2 a middle ground between 1 and 3 about 2000+ rmp
Map 3 conservative or as the app on the phone calls it economy, comes in later 3000+ rmp
but still kicks in hard when u floor it

so far i have nothing but grate things to say, no issues at all, but then again i havent boosted more on the settings. And i prob wont eather.

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
I chose DTUK for the same reason, so i can take it off easy. only problem i had so far was the last sensor underneath the car that i forgot to push in first then out. But Andrew and Dtuk has blazing fast support so he could advice me during install :D

Map 1 the car is an absolute beast, kick hard at about 1500 rmp
Map 2 a middle ground between 1 and 3 about 2000+ rmp
Map 3 conservative or as the app on the phone calls it economy, comes in later 3000+ rmp
but still kicks in hard when u floor it

so far i have nothing but grate things to say, no issues at all, but then again i havent boosted more on the settings. And i prob wont eather.
Thanks. Once my service and MOT is out of the way i'll look at getting one.

I can see a grey area with insurance with these, I crashed but my tuning box that I didn't tell you about was turned off at the time. :drive2:

Deleted member 103408

With regards to insurance my understanding is its about the modification - if you modify you have to advise them.

So on a stage 1 map you can have stock, poor conditions and perfect conditions, even if the car is in stock you still have a modified car so you have to declare it or take the risk.

Blowski

Cupra 280 DSG
Mar 23, 2018
With regards to insurance my understanding is its about the modification - if you modify you have to advise them.

So on a stage 1 map you can have stock, poor conditions and perfect conditions, even if the car is in stock you still have a modified car so you have to declare it or take the risk.
I always do declare it as the increase in premium for me is negligible, or zero in the case of my induction kit.

I can just see those types of conversations happening between someone who has just binned their pride and joy and an insurance company looking to not pay out. Vision of people frantically unclipping sensors and removing the tuning box with their car half stuck in a hedgrow

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.